State of Play on June 2, 2022

It’s been more than two months since our last State of Play – who’s ready for a new one? Tune in live next Thursday, June 2 for nearly 30 minutes of announcements and updates from the world of PlayStation.

We’ll have some exciting reveals from our third-party partners, plus a sneak peek at several games in development for PlayStation VR2. Watch over at Twitch or on YouTube starting 3pm Pacific / 6pm Eastern / 12:00am CET.

Edited by Aranea Highwind
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Misshandlad said:

With that description atleast we can still hope for some FFXVI info.

Especially with Yoshi P saying the game is pretty much done.

i expect a trailer stating more news in September (TGS?) and at TGS a big info dump on gameplay, another trailer. release window or date of late Nov - mid Jan.

Forspoken delayed again lol

If that rumored new Sly Cooper game appears, that'd make the entire show for me regardless of what else got announced.

I just hope they don't spend too much time on PlayStation VR2 games. I'm also manifesting a Sonic Frontiers trailer again, if by "manifesting" you mean setting myself up for disappointment.

• Like 2

Final Fantasy should be featured in some form. I expect either FF7 part 2 or FF16. 

So many Silent Hill rumours and leaks lately... Surely, that must mean *puts on clown makeup* that they're ready to show something, right guys? Right? ?

Just read about Sly 5. A potential Sly reveal makes me want to watch the stream live instead of waiting for a VOD.

As for VR, I can only guess that Horizon game will probably be there. Other than that, I don't know.

Edited by Slava

I really hope it's a God of War release date announcement, expecting a September release date. They can't delay it any longer, what big exclusives will get this year?

It's becoming monotonous and depressing lately. A lot of crap they announced in the previous shows like Stray, Final Fantasy, Wolverine, Spider-Man 2 just to tell us "we're working on it" but all those games don't have a release date yet, after Months or Years. That's why my interest in these shows are minimal, they will throw a bunch of teasers just to keep people salivating and never say a word again until the next 2/6 months show. 

That's also why I enjoy Nintendo Direct the most: they throw a lot of stuff in 30-60 min, most of the content (including new stuff) will be released in the next few months. They give players something to play in the next days/weeks/months. State of Play gives you all updates for games to be played in Months/Years. We have to stick with EZPZ crap released weekly on store. 

It's sad that, atm, my only hype are for Remakes or Ports such as Klonoa, Cowabunga Collection and Kao the Kangaroo ?

Edited by TurtlePM

Here's what I'm thinking:

God of War Ragnarok. (it's first party though isn't it? It says third party. If so... then no. RIP. OOF)

Final Fantasy XVI (PLEASE be here. They said a trailer was done and ready. Also... release date please. I don't care if it's sometime in 2023)

Stray (New thing came out saying news for it would be coming 'soon' and the other thing that stated July)

Silent Hill... thing (from the leak that got removed for copyright)

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Part 2 (they said FF7 related news would be coming this month for it's anniversary. The actual anniversary isn't until later this month... but I see no reason for them not to tease or maybe fully reveal Part 2 here)

and here's an additional *insert clown emoji here* pick

Final Fantasy 9 Remake (Nvidia leak is basically correct at this point)

Sadly not really expecting anything big as far as first-party titles like God of War: Ragnarök or anything Sly Cooper related until the next inevitable PlayStation Showcase.

As far as third-party specific stuff, I could definitely see at least one Final Fantasy related thing (XVI, VII Remake Part II, etc.) and maybe something pertaining to Silent Hill.

Edited by Zephrese

On 5/27/2022 at 4:08 PM, Aranea Highwind said:

I just hope to see something from Stray, maybe a release date at its best. I don't expect to see GOW:R at this SoP (State Of Play) mainly because they are focusing on 3rd party titles but who knows what it brings, PlayStation is known for having surprises up their sleeve so you never know but the chances are minimal, at least they tell you what to expect but when the SoP is over then fans still get disappointed because they didn't see what they wanted to see yet PlayStation already told them basically, but yeah that is how it always has been.

I'm genuinely shocked because this State of Play actually ended up being pretty damn good. They usually end up being lame, but there were some cool announcements this time, and I have at least some interest in most of what they showed.

The big announcement was of course RE4 remake which they opened with. First impressions are that the game looked dark, both in terms of visuals and in tone when compared to the original. Not really sure how I feel about that tbh... I love how cheesy the original game was with its one-liners and such. I guess it helps separate this remake from that version since they both have the third person shooter gameplay unlike RE2 and RE3. Still, Capcom impressed me with the other RE remakes (less so RE3), so I'll give this one a chance. RE4 is one of my all-time favourites though so I doubt I'm gonna end up liking this remake more, but I guess we'll see.

The other announcement that peaked my interest was Eternights, especially when it was mentioned that it's an action game with dating sim elements. I saw hand-holding and kissing in the trailer. ? Looking into this one a bit more, it's being made by a western studio which I guess is fine. I just hope they include the option for Japanese voice overs because English never feels right coming from anime characters. But yeah, definitely interested to see more of this one.

That new FFXVI trailer was great. It's hard to judge the gameplay when we only saw small snippets of it, but man, watching the summons fighting each other while that music played was hype. ? The story seems intriguing as well. I'm glad they want back to the more "medieval-inspired" fantasy setting rather having all that real-life technology like smartphones and cars as was the case in FFXV. I'm low-key looking forward to this game.

Other than that, I thought The Callisto Protocol looked pretty awesome in that new trailer. Looks like it could be genuinely scary. I have a feeling it's going to turn out better than the Dead Space remake. Oh yeah, and I think Stray continues to look interesting, but I don't have much to say about that one other than the cat is cute. ?

Street Fighter 6 looks like an abomination to me. I hate everything about the style they went for, but I don't like fighting games, so I wasn't going to play it anyway.

That's about all I have to say. More State of Plays like this one please.

• Like 4

Callisto Protocol and FFXVI were the highlights for me. RE4 Remake looks like it will be good too but I'll wait and see what all comes out for it but I'm willing to give Capcom a chance since RE2 Remake was good and there's a bigger development time gap from that and RE3 Remake.

Stray seems interesting even if the appeal to it is you play as a cat in a robot world and Eternights looks like it will be cool to play. I actually thought it was something Scarlet Nexus related since the way the characters did their attacks looked similar. The only indie game that stood out to me was the Rollerblade one since it actually looked like it would be fun to play.

Not really into fighters but the changes with Street Fighter 6 look like a big change especially since there's like that open world-ish aspect to it ? It reminds me of Mortal Kombat: Deception when that game had a sort of open world to it.

Otherwise I'm not really into the PSVR2 stuff but I really look forward to FFXVI and seeing how Callisto Protocol turns out since they both looked really cool. Callisto also has the bonus of being done by some of the people involved in the original Dead Space so I want to think it's in good hands. For FFXVI it looks like a big improvement over XV especially for the combat since I believe it's being done by or they at least got help from the guy that did DMC5. The big battles with the summons fighting looked really cool too.

Overall I thought it was an alright State of Play since it felt like they actually had stuff that was interesting and not another Deathloop trailer for the billionth time or something else that was underwhelming ?

• Like 3

A pretty good lineup, including the PSVR2 games.

Stray - looked great as always.

Callisto Protocol - a nice spiritual successor to Dead Space. Looks scary.

Eternights - I laughed out loud at the "press R2 to hold hands" scene. Best game ever. (Remember, kids, hand holding is lewd). But seriously, looked pretty fun, albeit not too impressive.

Spider-Man PC - great news for PC gamers. I messaged one of my friends right after the stream to relay the announcement, he will definitely be interested in this port.

Season: A Letter to the Future - I remember seeing this game in a State of Play before, but this time I was more interested. It has this unique tone, and the trailer gives some hints about the story. I don't really know much about this game, but it seems like the main character is capturing an area of the world as it was before some big change or a major catastrophe. 

Final Fantasy XVI - looks cool. The summons are kind of reinvented (I guess, I've only played bits of old FF games) and now look like kaiju battles, in which you actively participate. I'll have to play older FF games first.

And finally, Resident Evil 4 Remake - not much to say other than I really need to play the original ?. I've played many RE games but skipped this one. And yes, Code Veronica deserves a remake more than RE4.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Johnathan994 said:

I wish we got DMC6, but RE4 remake is so huge that I am not even bummed out :D 

The DMC5 team - IIRC - split into two to work on different projects, and we know one half is working on Dragon's Dogma 2, so we'll likely get DMC6 soon enough.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

The DMC5 team - IIRC - split into two to work on different projects, and we know one half is working on Dragon's Dogma 2, so we'll likely get DMC6 soon enough.

Didn't know that :D  I hope that's true, it's my favorite series and the first game I'll be getting with my ps5 in two days will be DMC5 :D my body is ready for 6 ?

Edited by Johnathan994
  • Like 1

Street Fighter 6 - As someone who suffered through SFV's platinum, I'm pleasantly surprised by how good SF6 looks. My only concern is that it will be always-online again, I hope it won't be that otherwise I won't have the heart to buy it.

Final Fantasy XVI - Stylistically, the whole classic medieval isn't my favourite thing with Final Fantasy. Everything else looks good however, good looking combat, Ifrit and the other summons are being treated better than they were in XV. I hope this game succeeds and not just by the weak standards of failing Final Fantasys but as a AAA GOTY contender.

No Man's Sky - This was the announcement which finally convinced me to buy the game and reward Hello Game's extraordinary support for their product. Looking forward to PSVR2.

Edited by Eraezr