State of Play on June 2, 2022

Two games stood out to me the most from this State of Play, and that’s Resident Evil 4 Remake and Final Fantasy XVI

Resident Evil 4 Remake: Art direction and environment seems spot on. However, as someone who loves the cheesy original to death, I tend to wonder if I’ll really end up liking the remake. I understand in order for this remake to separate itself from the original, it needs to take itself more seriously and be less campy. But hopefully Capcom manages to sprinkle a sense of humor in there somewhere.

Final Fantasy XVI: I have no idea what I was looking at, but I think I like it :awesome: Kind of like a Devil May Cry game in a renaissance setting. I think I can get behind that xD Haven’t played a new Final Fantasy in ages, but if this manages to stay strictly single player… I’ll keep it on my radar.

• Like 3

nothing impressed me, there was no game shown that I'm interested in or plan buying, FF16 doesn't have a AAA feel to me, it feels like budget MMO content, which from what I understand it's being made by the FF14 team so it 100% makes sense, I'm just waiting for FF7R2

Edited by The Investigator

Missed the actual State of Play, but watched all the trailers this morning, and there's some cool looking stuff here for sure!

Stray looks like it's really coming together - had my eye on that one for a while, and seems like a good little puzzle platformer. 

Both Rollerdome and Season: A Letter to the Future look really interesting, and both on my radar now - Season in particular.

The Callisto Protocol seems like it could be really cool - trailer doesn't give much away, but curious for sure.

Tunic coming to Playstation is great for me, as I don't have an xBox

I'm even quite looking forward to the RE4 remake - I never got on with the original 4 as much as the others for some reason, but this seems different enough to bypass whatever that was, and it looks great.

• Like 3

Callisto Protocol is gonna have massive sales this Christmas, but I was really surprised with Rollerdrome. Looks like a fusion of Mirror's Edge meets My Friend Pedro.

• Like 2

This showcase was a hit for me, personally. The only thing I thought we may get more information on which we didn't, was Little Devil Inside.

Resident Evil 4 Remake, Street Fighter 6, The Callisto Protocol, Season: A Letter to the Future & Stray, will all be something I get around to playing.

• Like 1

I was excited to see Stray announced as a day and date for Tiers 2/3 of the new Plus. I have a hard time buying indie titles being a staunch physical only gamer, but I'm definitely going to check Stray out when it launches in Plus! Hope other recent indies I've had my eye on like Chicory, Toem, etc. find themselves there at some point.

Tunic finally coming to PS5/4 is amazing, I have been enamored by that cute lil fox since the first look at that game ages ago. Hope it gets a physical release...

The bigger announcements weren't necessarily for my gaming interests, but they all looked great and were awesome to see in the show. Callisto looks fabulous and grotesque and very not for my weak stomach, Street Fighter was neat, RE4 was a surprise to leadoff as well. FFXVI looked epic and I am very excited to start my journey into the Final Fantasy games. Looking forward to what's coming up from first party as well!!!

Very excited to see some PSVR2 games. I've wanted a PSVR for awhile but I knew the first one was dated, so I've been patiently waiting. Not much more waiting to go.

Stray is a game me and my wife have had our eyes on since it was announced so that's a day 1 easy.

Callisto looks brilliant, I've missed the dead space type atmosphere.

Saints and Sinners is the number one reason I want a VR so I'll be grabbing one and two, along with the actual VR when it comes out.

Everything else I'm not super interested in, might check out RE Village VR. Haven't played any of the RE remakes so 4 wouldn't be my first choice if I decided to.

Edited by Skurkitty
  • Like 1

Probably my best State of Play personally that I've watched in a very long time... potentially EVER.

Stray. Reject Reality. Become CAT. wait wut

Final Fantasy XVI. ALL HAIL OUR SAVIOR YOSHI P

Eternights was... interesting and gave me Persona vibes... but that's not really enough to get me to buy it or want to play it. Someone is free to convince me otherwise though if they choose to do so.

• Like 1

One of the best State of Plays yet, arguably the best one. Admittedly it isn't a high bar to meet though, as most of them are boring at best and absolute trash at worst. That said, I'd be more than happy if going forward every State of Play was of a similar quality to this one.

What I don't understand is why some people still get upset when [INSERT GAME] doesn't get shown at these events. Sony always states well beforehand exactly what will and won't be shown. It's like people don't know how to keep their expectations in check even when we're told what to expect lol. You can't be upset with anyone but yourself in that case.