Game Tagging Idea/Suggestion for Legacy Titles

I think it would be a good idea to tag them somehow.

That way you could easily search for what games are only available via the new tiers of Plus if they don't end up selling the games individually for those that don't want to subscribe to the new tiers and want to own the games instead.

That is a good idea, I would like to see it implemented and would love to scroll profiles searching only for ps1 games, for example. I want to see anything new happining, ANYTHING.

What is being proposed actually sounds like a standard thing from now on, just like it was necessary a secondary tag for VR games back then, and specially if the number of these legacy titles increases. 

Edited by GravityQueeen
  • Like 2

I disagree.

Those titles used to be PS1, PS2 or PSP games, but now they are PS5, PS4 games. So, no need to add more tags to them. I'd leave them as they are.

Here is a question: Would you add a PS2 tag to Shadow of the Colossus (PS3) and Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty just because they were once PS2 titles?

:)

• Like 2

If original console becomes the deciding factor for tags, that’s going to require a lot of retagging across the site…

Would ports of iOS games, like Game Dev Story or the Artifex Mundi games get an “ipad” tag?

Will Alan Wake Remastered and Cuphead need Xbox console tags?

Would Shenmue require a “Dreamcast” tag?

What about the Hamster Arcade Archives games?

I have to admit, it would be interesting to see Towerfall Ascension with the elusive “Ouya” tag…

…but I suspect the work involved in such a change would be pretty extreme.

• Like 3

To all suggesting tagging remasters, ports etc… No, I don’t think that’s what this thread is about. Surely the idea is only for the emulated classics. So the PS2-PS4 games and the new PS Plus classics catalogue. Stuff that isn’t natively ported to modern consoles, only running through the emulators. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, VeldinX said:

To all suggesting tagging remasters, ports etc… No, I don’t think that’s what this thread is about. Surely the idea is only for the emulated classics. So the PS2-PS4 games and the new PS Plus classics catalogue. Stuff that isn’t natively ported to modern consoles, only running through the emulators. 

Aren't the Hamster Arcade Archives games and some of the classic games also running via an emulator, though? ?

I though that was the case, though I may be mistaken.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Aren't the Hamster Arcade Archives games and some of the classic games also running via an emulator, though? 1f914.png

Correct.

Arcade Archives is a series of emulated arcade games from the 1980s and 1990s released for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows, Nintendo Switch, iOS and Android. It is published by Hamster Corporation.

sauce

Edited by zizimonster
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, HusKy said:

The website should try to mimic what you as player see in the console's trophy system. If Syphon Filter has "PS5" platform attached, PSNP should show the same information.

totally agree with this

principle should apply to dlc% calculation as well... but that's beating a dead horse too

12 hours ago, MrTrofyHunter said:

Hey Community, thoughts on the site starting to tag legacy titles that offer trophy support as PS1, PS2, and PSP games when new trophy lists starting popping on the site and when PlayStation adds games to the new PS Plus service.

I recently spoke with @BlindMango from the Game Information Team and he suggested to start a forum post to help garner support and feedback from the community before asking Sly to get involved in adding those console tags to the backend. Also, he was thinking that we would probably end up having to keep the PS5/PS4 tags on the list to show what console you have to get the game on but could possibly add the PS1, PS2, or PSP tag with a different color alongside the PS4/PS5 tags and then be able to filter the Games page by PS1, PS2 and PSP games.

Thought it would be cool to see profiles with earned trophies/plats from legacy titles tagged differently and having the ability to search effectively.

PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3, Vita, PS4, PSVR, & PS5 tagging across all generations of consoles on the site? It'd be cool, right? 1f609.png

Its a great idea, but it won’t happen. Similar to my VR Opt tag for games that are playable in VR and without VR. Got lots of support but went nowhere. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

If original console becomes the deciding factor for tags, that’s going to require a lot of retagging across the site…

Would ports of iOS games, like Game Dev Story or the Artifex Mundi games get an “ipad” tag?

Will Alan Wake Remastered and Cuphead need Xbox console tags?

Would Shenmue require a “Dreamcast” tag?

What about the Hamster Arcade Archives games?

I have to admit, it would be interesting to see Towerfall Ascension with the elusive “Ouya” tag…

…but I suspect the work involved in such a change would be pretty extreme.

This is the first thing I thought of, too. But games like Alan Wake and Cuphead are ports. These classic games from PS+ are being emulated; they aren't running natively on the console.

Assuming such a thing should be implemented - it should be within the actual ecosystem of PlayStation - and likely; only be a part of these legacy titles that are coming from Sony's PS+ services. I was wondering since these games are on PS4 and PS5 if Sony would have introduced a specific console tag for them. Of course we know PS4 and PS5 games cannot share lists. 

So I guess the tags should be as simple as "PS", "PS2", "PSP". These are, after all, the original games being emulated. It'd make sense for them to have their own console tag since they aren't PS4/PS5 games; the consoles are just emulating these titles. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, zizimonster said:

Here is a question: Would you add a PS2 tag to Shadow of the Colossus (PS3) and Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty just because they were once PS2 titles?

nope, it would only be the emulated titles, so the recent 5 PS1 games and the 40 or so PS2 on PS4 titles. So games like the Jak collection that was released for PS3 would not be tagged as PS2

11 hours ago, HusKy said:

The website should try to mimic what you as player see in the console's trophy system. If Syphon Filter has "PS5" platform attached, PSNP should show the same information.

On the other hand, this could be solved with a separate tagging/labeling system unrelated to platform info. This would also solve issues with PSVR being the only peripheral with "platform" tag for some odd reason.

Im thinking it would be a console tag similar to VR but they’d be colored silver or gray maybe, but they’d still retain the PS4 or PS5 tag too, we wouldn’t remove that, especially since there are repeated lists for the same games

2 hours ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

Feels a little like Mango was taking the piss by asking you to come to the community before getting Sly involved 

I mean, this is PSNP we're talking about after all

Lol I think adding console tags to our backend wouldn’t be too tough so could definitely be possible without much trouble, although console filtering on the games page and profiles may take more time :dunno:

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 3