Skills vs Practice

GMZ

On 5/29/2022 at 2:04 AM, Great_MazingerZ said:

Yeah that might have been exaggerated but sometimes for me even with practice i still suck, i am talking about games here. 

14 hours ago, Great_MazingerZ said:

Exactly my point, thanks for understanding it, hence why there are players like Messi and Ronaldo and there are tons of other players who aren't as talented as they are despite that they go to training almost everyday, we have millions of players but only handful of legends.

When it comes to your professional athlete example, I completely agree.  To be the best of the best at a certain sport you will need to be extremely dedicated and talented. I don't really see how practicing for trophies in some racing sections of games = world class talent needed to acheive them. 

I have a few trophies I remember being a substantial pain in the ass.  THPS 1 + 2, I swore I would never get all the Hard Gap combos.  Made excuses all the time, but kept at it and finally did.  If I remember right took me ~ 3 weeks just for that trophy.  Enter the Gungeon was another game I swore that would stay at 1% on my profile.  Got my ass handed to me on the 1st few rooms all the time. Would play it for a couple hours or so every other week and swear it off again as impossible, but I would marginally improve.  Then around 8 months later, I finally beat the 1st level, and couldn't believe it.  It was like something just clicked in my brain, and my progress took off from there.  The Witness final challenge took me a few months of trying it a couple hours each week too. 

Will some trophies be harder for you because you aren't naturally gifted at them, yes.  Will you have to put in more work than others to get it done, sure.  Will it be extra annoying because you probably hate those parts of games also.....possibly.  So it's your choice whether or not it's worth your time, but to say it's impossible because you aren't naturally gifted at it is a cop out.

On 28.5.2022 at 2:24 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

This.

I believe that, aside from actual physical impairment and disabilities of that nature, every person on this site is capable of getting even the most difficult of trophies - it’s just a question of how much time they are willing to dedicate to practicing and acquiring the skill level required.

Previous experience, personality and general aptitude will affect that amount of time required, but not the ceiling.

It’s been said that it takes 10,000 hours to be a master of any task, and I believe that…

…the only question is, whether the game is good enough or fun enough to support those 10,000 hours it might take!

i agree.

sure, some people are blessed with talent or flair. But dedication and practice is better in The  Long run. 

i have around 2.500 hours in CS:GO, and i definitely am better player now. It gets to be second Nature 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baranov_925 said:

Skills and Practice cannot live without each other. By decreasing of one, the second lost its sense.

Of course, if you have 0 skills, Then you’ll never be a good player. But everyone has skills. 

its just that some people have more natural flair and talent, and some have to work harder to be as good ?

but its The hard work that makes or breaks it