Rant - I miss my PS3 days

lettmon

I agree on the aura difference between PS3 and PS4. PS3 had a personality to its gaming intuitiveness. PS4, I don't hate the console but its got a vanilla feel to it.

PS5 does have some personality to it in its own unique way, unlike PS4. The remaining proving ground for it will be a library to prove. As for games without season passes or MTX nonsense, it really comes down to how wide you're casting your net in trying out games to play. I've found that truly, there's still a great amount of straight forward no bullshit single player games in 2022 and they're coming out at a rate faster than I can finish or platinum them.

• Like 3

I got into the PS3 very late on. I was still rocking my PS2 up to that point! I only had my PS3 for barely 2 years before the PS4 launched. I was obsessed with gaming and PlayStation in particular my whole life up until the PS3 era, but then I was at a point in my life where I had a lot going on, and gaming took a major backseat for a couple of years. I didn't pay any attention to the new console or the games releasing for it. It didn't even register on my radar. My only taste of next-gen gaming at that point was playing a couple of games on my brother's 360, which I enjoyed the games but hated the system itself, so I never got invested in it, and stuck to my PS2 whenever I had the time to play something, which at the time was usually something casual like FIFA. Then I got a PS3 slim for my birthday one year which came with Uncharted 2, and I was blown away at the time. Discovered trophies a little later on and well, here I am many years later once again fully invested in all things gaming and PlayStation, probably even more so than I ever was. 

Despite this however, I don't really have any strong feelings towards the PS3 itself. It's probably the one and only PlayStation console which I can honestly say that about. Don't get me wrong, it got me back into gaming in a big way, and into trophies, so I'll always have fond memories of it for that alone, but on the whole I just don't vibe too much with it. I remember playing most of the games I wanted to play in that 2 years before PS4 launched, and I remember being so ready to move on at that point. I don't exactly know why, but I suspect getting into the generation so late on is one of the reasons. Every other PlayStation system prior to (and since) then I've had on or close to launch, so I've got to experience everything from beginning to end with those systems. PS4 is by far the superior console and generation in my opinion. 

I do agree with you there. I picked up a PS3 for memories of old games I liked and trophy clean up. But there is one very big thing I want to say bout PS3: I miss LittleBigPlanet 2, and now the servers are gone now. But at times for PS3, I get to experience some games I never played as a younger self of mine. These days were get great games at times, but not really. 

I'm on the reverse where my PS3 experience was just FIFA and COD (with the occasional different game like Dirt or F1).

Didn't get into trophy hunting till 2017/2018 way into having my PS4. Got a lot of plats of the games that I had built up from PS+ over the years, as well as going back to those PS3 games that I had never got the trophies for.

But now with not renewing my PS Plus this June, I'm just looking at picking PS3 games on the cheap instead! Have already this for a few games previously e.g. The AC Ezio Trilogy (as I'd never played an AC game), Fallout 3 etc.

It's just a fun console, and the games are at an age where you can get like games for like £2. There is a thread on here as well that tracks all the PS3 games that can be done completely offline, which has been a great help in knowing which games to pick up.

• Like 2

Sony peaked with the PS2, it's been a steady decline ever since. 

At least as far as quality games are concerned. I feel like the PS3 era was the last era where originality and creativity was something triple-A developers strived for. Now, I feel like modern games are so formulaic and ultimately boring. Far too much focus on graphics and how good they can make the game look on the surface and not enough substance in the games themselves to make them memorable experiences. 

Of course, nostalgia definitely has a lot to do with opinions on the different console generations. For me, I grew up with the PS2 generation, that was the best generation easily for me. The OG Xbox, Dreamcast, N64, those were the days. I'm sure the younger generations like the newer consoles more because that was what they grew up with. I don't agree with that at all but I understand why they would. Everything was better when you were younger in most peoples perspectives but you can't dwell on the fact that things are less enjoyable as an adult because that just leads to depression. If video games no longer do it for you, find another hobby that will give you that enjoyment again. There's many more hobbies out there than just video games. 

• Like 1

I agree the PS3 was and still is a special console, the switch to PS4 just wasn't as good back, especially when i had to leave all my games behind because the PS4 couldn't play them.....

Switch to PS5 was easier as PS4 games carried over but just the quality of the games on PS3 were better too, i really do miss that era.

I started playing ps3 in 2008-9, and trophy hunting when that wasn't even a thing practically. I was a kid in elementary school still, and damn…the memories…really magical to remember. gta iv, uncharted, burnout paradise, resident evil 5. there were group chats, which was new at the time and also new to me. I made many friends and met so many people, so many groups, and so many memories. people I came to meet in person one day, and many that I still keep in touch with to this day. psn and the Playstation 3 were a huge and memorable part of my life, it's a part of me.