Trophy rating system

I'm killing Red dear and hitting a organ and dropping the male with big rack almost immediately with 7.mm bullets.  I can't fathom how that isn't a Gold rating.  The entire time i've been playing I only have 4 gold ratings and 1 diamond and tbh I wasn't trying.  I didn't care about the ratings until I got the mission to kill a boar red dear  bison and fallow deer with a gold rating. 

As i said I'm using 7.mm bullet that says recommended classes 4-9.  the red deer states it recommends class 6 ammo.  So am i not using the correct ammo? Because this last deer i killed I dropped him immeditely and he was big I was sure I would have gotten it but didn't.  Maybe is the expansion rating too much does that destroy the organs?  I do have the bullet that has less penetration and higher expansion.

At this point that is the only thing i can think i'm possibly doing wrong.  The game doesn't explain this shit or walk you through it at all. I'm thinking possibly using an expansion bullet would be bad ethics which I guess could effect the score?  i may be way off base.  any help would be great.  

Edit: so I don't know for sure but i swapped out the bullet to the one that has more penetration and less expansion and harvested two golds in a row.  Think I got a better grasp of it now but those diamonds required for one of the dlc's are going to be tough.  Also having the skill that allows to see the trophy rating helps too when you spot the Prey.

Edited by steel6burgh