Do you Buy it NOW or wait for a sale

MikeOrator

I saw a post on the Playstation forums from a guy complaining that all the games he buys for his Playstation are now going to be on PS Plus Extra for free.  He goes on to say that he will never buy a game again as he can wait for it to be released for free on the service.  I am just curious if anybody else feels the same way.  There are lots of games that I can wait forever to play as well.  I do, however, like to play the big tent pole AAA games around the release window with the rest of the community and do not mind spending 60, 70 or even 80 dollars doing thant.   My problem is when there are multiple games coming out around the same time and then have choices.  

What do you guys do?  If you have a Playstation did you play Horizon, Ghostwire and then finally Elden Ring like me.  I didn't pick up Stanger in Paradise or Tiny Tina though. I also get any Far Cry or Assassins Creed games on day one too (don't judge me I know what people think of the Ubisoft game formula) as I just love these games no matter how derivative they are. 

I don't know what my real question is but just wanted to get some thoughts on Do you Buy NOW or wait for a sale?

PS:

If there is already a similar topic started that I missed I can delete this one and weigh in on the original thread.

• Like 2

It honestly depends on the game.  I do not buy many games at full price, but there are a few.  For example, I bought Tiny Tina (Mrs Bee was so excited, so kind of had to), Diablo 2 (again, she was so excited), Horizon Forbidden West (HZD was her favourite game, and the first game she got the platinum trophy in all by herself) ... Wait, I think I am sensing a pattern here ...

Jokes aside, I do tend to wait for most games that aren't mainline FF games, Gran Turismo games, or games Mrs Bee is excited for.  I just keep a wishlist going, get notifications that some things went on sale, and then decide if the sale price is low enough for me to pay for now.  For me to pay more than $40 for any game is not common.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Silocia said:

It doesnt bother me that I'm not playing the games that are in fashion at that time,

I get too much FOMO...lol

I agree with you on the DLC point.  I am waiting for Gearbox to release all the  DLC for Tiny Tina.  Then I will pay 80 bucks or whatever and get a GOTY version that includes it all.

35 minutes ago, Silocia said:

I only buy games in the sale now, cant seem to trust games anymore. By the time I get around to playing games, they're in a better state and feel much more like a full game. The Witcher 3 for example, I had no idea that game had all the UI changes and the fixes that it did and thats just one example of many. I'm also bored of having to go back to games to finish up the DLC I'd rather just do it all at the same time. I bought Forbidden West (mainly for the steelbook) but I'm perfectly fine waiting until the inevitable DLC is released and buy the game on a sale with all content included. It doesnt bother me that I'm not playing the games that are in fashion at that time, plenty to play to fill the gap.

This^

I very rarely buy games at launch any more, because they're either broken as hell or crushingly disappointing - therefore I usually wait for a deep sale before buying anything.

28 minutes ago, grapetrap said:

I get too much FOMO...lol

I agree with you on the DLC point.  I am waiting for Gearbox to release all the  DLC for Tiny Tina.  Then I will pay 80 bucks or whatever and get a GOTY version that includes it all.

Don't bother. The game sucks ass and the DLCs are worse than garbage. The game itself is worth maybe £20 but the Season Pass is a complete waste of money and not worth more than 4 quid since it will only take you 45mins to an hour to finish each lazy, asset flipped DLC once the timelock expires on each one so you can do all the respective missions without having to wait a week between them to unlock.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 1

My take on gaming...

i buy what i want physical on day 1. it helps devs earn more, i can play it day 1, maybe not always at midnight but i have a job that takes priority. If that means i buy 70 new games a year so be it. I also have plus and will get premium. Do i care if some end up on that service? not at all. But i still will buy games day 1 because i can easily afford it and i don't give a shit about "this should have been patched", "this game is buggy", "microtransactions", "this dlc should have been on the disc" etc.

Why? because no game is perfect, there will always be bugs, always be cut content potentially added later as paid dlc, and so on.

i have the luxury to afford whatever games i want and what i choose to do with my money is my business. No different than what anyone else choose to do with theirs.

You dont want to buy day 1, don't. You want to wait forever for a sale, thats your business.

Not meant to be a rant, but generally my take n things.

TL;DR. Its my money, ill spend how i choose. Just like you can spend your money how you choose.

• Like 3

I was curious about the stats here, and I guess a good benchmark would be the Xbox Game Pass.

-According to this spreadsheet, there are 1090 games that have been on Game Pass up to now (including 360 and One games).

-526 are currently playable (in practice a little less since the list includes upcoming games till the end of 2022).

-According to wiki, there have been 2154 games released on the Xbox 360.

-2937 games were released for the Xbox One (wiki as well).

-Even assuming that there is a 100% overlap between the two lists, it would mean only about a third of all Xbox One games have been on the GamePass.

700 games (spanning all PS consoles) have been announced for PS+ Premium, are there have been 3400 games released on the PS4 alone.

Judging from the pattern set by Microsoft, even if you wait for a loooong time, there's only a 1/3 chance that you will see the game you want being offered on Premium, and even, who knows how long they will be.

The only time I buy games full price are when I have to for console bundles. I still like to think contribute to dev success even if I keep scouring sales like a cheap-ass due to the sheer volume I get. If they also end up getting Sony money from licensing for Premium, all the better for them!

I could preorder or buy early if I'm:

-actually hyped to the point I'm willing to drop everything just to play the game

-game has limited edition goods I'm interested in

-it's a game I want to support (usually a niche game, multibillion companies can make it without my contribution)

This doesn't happen all that often these days and there were a few franchises I began to feel like I was buying out of obligation when the games just kept getting worse. I might still buy them from sale and whatnot, but I'm not a charity.

• Like 1

With just a handful of exceptions, almost always wait for a sale.  The backlog is too big to do otherwise.

How long I wait (I.e. how good of a sale) is inversely proportional to how much I want the game.  In other words, if I really want it, the sale does not have to be as good.  If I just want to play it at some point, then I wait for a deep discount.

Depends on the game. I normally pre-order most of my physical games, but I'll sometimes wait on the big name/triple A releases as they're usually 1. likely to get cheaper. 2. Not likely to ever get rare and 3. They may or may not get a physical complete edition with DLC later down on the road.

As to the reasons I pre-order most my physical games - 1. I tend to buy a fair few "niche" or Japanese titles, which sometimes actually balloon in price and/or became rare fairly quickly. 2. I like to support the devs as much as possible. 3. Unlike games from bigger studios, it's less likely for them to get more complete editions later (though I have double dipped sometimes on the occasions where this has happened)

I pretty much always wait for sales on digital games (or wait for them to get physicals), unless it's something I want immediately, which is rare.

Doesn't really bother me too much if a game ends up free on PS+ later or whatever, since I like "owning" my games as much as possible anyway.

I almost always wait for a sale. I buy maybe one or two games at full price each year. Those full price purchases are generally reserved for games I've been waiting 5+ years for though. For context, the last game I bought at full price was Final Fantasy 7 Remake, because I've been wanting that game since the tech demo was shown for the PS3. The one before that was Kingdom Hearts III. The next one will probably be either Bayonetta 3 or FF7R-2, whichever comes out first.

There's just so many games and the vast majority of games get released unfinished these days. It makes it feel a bit pointless to spend $60 on something that will be better, cheaper, and have more to do in 6-12 months when it gets a price drop, an "ultimate edition", and goes on sale. There's plenty of other stuff to play in the meantime.

Edited by ExHaseo

6 minutes ago, visighost said:

I was curious about the stats here, and I guess a good benchmark would be the Xbox Game Pass.

-According to this spreadsheet, there are 1090 games that have been on Game Pass up to now (including 360 and One games).

-526 are currently playable (in practice a little less since the list includes upcoming games till the end of 2022).

-According to wiki, there have been 2154 games released on the Xbox 360.

-2937 games were released for the Xbox One (wiki as well).

-Even assuming that there is a 100% overlap between the two lists, it would mean only about a third of all Xbox One games have been on the GamePass.

700 games (spanning all PS consoles) have been announced for PS+ Premium, are there have been 3400 games released on the PS4 alone.

Judging from the pattern set by Microsoft, even if you wait for a loooong time, there's only a 1/3 chance that you will see the game you want being offered on Premium, and even, who knows how long they will be.

The only time I buy games full price are when I have to for console bundles. I still like to think contribute to dev success even if I keep scouring sales like a cheap-ass due to the sheer volume I get. If they also end up getting Sony money from licensing for Premium, all the better for them!

Taking a top number like 3,400 games on PS4 isn't really helpful if you consider the amount of shovel-ware and region stacks. There is no way any of those bullshit .99¢ games will be on Plus, right?

Right!?

On topic, I never buy day one anymore. I used to get excited but the PS3 generation put a stop to that. Once online patches and dlc became normal, far too many games released in a state unworthy of day one full price money. It's only gotten worse since then.

I wait til the game is complete (dlc) and running correctly (patches) then I got it on sale, either physical or digital, whichever is cheaper. But with season passes and all, it's usually cheaper to get a complete edition digitally.

• Like 1

I will “Day One” on occasion, but those purchases rarely have anything to do with my being desperate to play immediately, and more to do with wanting to show support to a specific developer or for a specific game or franchise.

Something like Salt and Sacrifice, for example, I bought Day One to support the dev, but I’ll still wait a while to give any patches a chance to address any early hiccups or issues before I play.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

I only buy between 1 and 3 new games per year on day 1 at full price. Almost every other game I purchase will be on heavy discount, usually 50% off the launch price at a minimum. I would wager that the average price of games in my collection is €30 or less. I see no point in purchasing games at full price when I know damn well that I won't get around to actually playing them for a long time. I'll pick them up when I feel they are at a reasonable price and aren't going to go much lower. 

As for games on the new PS Plus or any other subscription service, I always buy physical where possible so this doesn't really bother me. If a game I'm interested in appears on the service then I'll probably play it there and pick up the physical when it drops to a reasonable price, as I would have done one way or the other. 

Once in a Blue Moon do I buy a game day one. Far too many issues at launch which are becoming increasingly worse over time as new games are released. As I've gotten older I no longer jump on any hype trains as 9 times out of 10 games nowadays are disappointing and rushed. DLC also gets on my nerves, especially when its planned before the release of a game. Too many unfinished broken messes released at launch plus the samey kind of gameplay on most games has kinda burnt me out over time, making me play a lot less on my PS4 than I used to. I find myself getting bored quickly compared to what I used to as well.

• Like 2

Well lately been only getting games with the odd one or two games here and there at day one. for example god of war 2018 I never liked what I saw of the gameplay and what I did play from share play as it felt so unlike the past games and it was to me not fun and the story was boring to tears. I still wait for it on sales or for it to be on plus as I rather get the game on sale. the only games I normally would buy day one/full price is remakes of a game I love to death such as house of the dead remake or another numbered re game entry.

However with how much things is I hardly think I can go for full price anymore unless somehow I can get help in the form of a deal and so on as I will only ever pay above 50 if it has all the dlc. Like if I feel it is worth it I would go for it.

I feel personally ps plus extra or higher is a waste of time as sure you get to have more games but your basically buying them games for the price sure it is cheap when you think about it but it is like renting a movie or game like it was back when blockbuster was around. sure you got the game but it is only for a limited time and god forbid they stop a game you got downloaded as that could mean if you ever needed extra space or anything it will be gone forever like how the PT demo was gone for some people.

Sorry if I rant abit but I feel I needed to make myself clear on my view points as I feel with how sony has treated their customers as of late and with how poor of a line of things they got it so far now it is not worth my money and it is not because am being a skin flint I just want my money to be worth it if that makes sense. 

Generally speaking buying a game at launch means you're going to be paying more for an inferior experience unless it's some kind of niche multiplayer game e.g. Rocket Arena or Knockout City that you're not sure will survive until it has a good sale. Wait a year or two and you'll get the game and all its dlc half off, with a fuckton less bugs than if you'd bought it near launch.

When I do play games at launch they're typically either indies or I'm renting them.

• Like 1

If it is a game I want to support, I try to buy it day one. I feel like complaints such as games coming out broken, feeling incomplete, etc. are really only true about the biggest most high budget stuff and honestly I don't have much of a taste for that, and as time goes on my interest keeps shrinking. So I rarely feel burned when it comes to my day one purchases. Like the next game I have on pre-order is Pocky & Rocky: Reshrined. I doubt 2 years from now the game will be much different than it is at launch. And given that it's only $30 anyway (for physical) and that Tengo Project has been knocking it out of the park with their games I am more than happy to support them at launch.

But yeah, something like Forbidden West... I'm good. I paid $10 for the first game and that felt like the perfect price for it. I will wait until FW is $10 as well.