Do any of y'all still have your original PS3?

Preparada

I'm still using my original fat PS3 from 2009, a 60 GB model that came with Uncharted packed in (I still have the huge box!). I swapped out the small HDD for the 1 TB drive that was in my PS4 when I put a 2 TB drive in that machine.

My PS3 was barely used from mid 2012 to early 2018, so it has a lot fewer hours on it than you might expect from a machine that old. It still runs fine.

• Like 1

I do still have and use my 2010 PS3. Works pretty well now, but from midsih 2017 to midish 2019 it couldn't sych trophies to PSN at all. Right before the Killzone shutdown in 2018 I replaced the internal HDD, which allowed me to synch for about 2 weeks before quitting again (Not even remotely close to a completionist but I wanted to get what I could). Mid 2019 it just randomly started synching up again, and i haven't had a problem since. Missed to shutdowns in early 2019 because I wasn't paying attention :/

I have a backup I bought a couple years later,and is my "overflow" console. I also used to use it to occasionally double box but haven't been able to connect my 2nd account to the console since the update a few weeks ago. 

• Like 1

I had an original fat back compat PS3 that i got in 2008, but that died of the yellow light at only a few years old. I can't remember how long I've had my second PS3 for, but it's a slim 320gb model. I would estimate this was either late 2010 or early 2011. This still works but has seen very little use since May 2014 when I obtained a PS4.

We bought ours used in 2012 or 2013 and still have it.  Runs really good, only issue is on certain disc games it likes to not always read them at first.  Kind of annoying, yet will work after several tries.  I have 2 other slims and 1 of the fat boy models which is in my bedroom and all work good still.

4 hours ago, Preparada said:

I'm curious because trophy hunting is a time consuming hobby so the more you use a console the more the components inside get worn out (that or age). I got my ps3 in February of 2010 and it was a launch slim model all new from Target and shiz. Unfortunately it died on me around 2017 from a YLOD but it's my fault from my teenage years because i didn't know how to take care of my stuff at the time ahhhh. Tried fixing it myself but i f'ed it up and just threw it away.

Nowadays i use a fat 60gb PS3 but i do maintenance on it almost often. I've put in a newer PSU, change the thermal paste on top and bottom of the heat spreaders on both chips, put in a 19 blade fan with a controllable fan speed knob, and have the ps3 on a good ventilated space. I've learned since then and now my ps3 is an awesome trophy hunting machine. Been trophy hunting on it since 2018 and it's still going! So now my question is...

Do any of y'all still have your original PS3 and what model is it?

I still have my Slim 320GB model, and still works like a charm, since I also use it in well ventilated area, i recently swapped the ol´ass HDD for an SSD to make it run smoother and create less heat and I ll also put an extra external cooling pad under it to keep the mother board cooler

This PS3 survived train travel, getting lend to family, hot days, power outs and survived extensive gaming sessions.And the controller still works after almost 10 years, ask my DS4 they get faulty after 2 years, analog stick drift, R2 fatigue

My 2007/2008 ps3 still works, though there's one disc that it cannot read properly which another ps3 can. It is only one disc though so I don't know if it's the disc or the ps3 though.

It has occasional problems with static on the screen while the screen goes black every few seconds. Though that's fixed by unplugging and plugging back in the hdmi lead. (It's a old hdmi lead, might be problem with that.)

In conclusion it works but its starting to have health problems.

My original genuine ps3 controllers are all broken,I now use third party ones.

My phat died from YLOD a few years after I bought it. My slim replacement is still running great - had to replace the Blu-ray reader during this time and also learnt how to upgrade the HDD. 

I see a lot have learnt how to do further mods to keep it running. If anyone has any sources which helped them learn other upgrades, I'd be keen to see them to do the same ?

Edited by black__bunny

I have a slim that I bought in 2012, in 2016 I changed the player because after hours leaving it on because of the MK9, the following year I upgraded to 1TB, and now since last month my PS3 is stopped because of the C.I HDMI and I'll have it fixed for the remaining platinum.

Damn Sony for not releasing backwards compatibility for the PS5.

My original fat PS3 died on me 2 years ago, it lasted longer then I expected it was a bit of a sad day for me when it happened. But then I got a 500gb PS3 slim and I love it a little dusty but still plays games. 

Yep! Still have mine. It's a Super Slim, and it was a LEGO Batman 3 + The Sly Collection bundle. I got it as a gift back in January 2015.

For a while, I thought the disc drive was broken because it stopped reading anything. Turns out the laser just needed a cleaning, and ever since then, it's been working just as well as it did seven years ago. Gotta love those top-loading disc drives.