Do any of y'all still have your original PS3?

Preparada

I bought an original phat PS3 back in the day before trophies were a thing in order to play Metal Gear Solid 4, but hardly used it since I was more of an Xbox 360 guy.. I ended up selling it quite early on.

I fell out of love with Microsoft and the Xbox 360, and made the decision to get a second-hand PS3 super slim some time in 2015. It took a while to make the transition (as my trophy history shows), but haven't regretted it. To my amazement, that super slim is still going today.. ?

I've my original PS3 from 2009, and it runs better then my launch edition PS4 lol.

Have a 'new/referb 160gig back up PS3 for when my original dies, and sadly it's come close. Afew times just shutting off after boot up or 20min of play ( that was a fickel week, it's better now)

My OG fat was a Christmas gift in 2006, still the best gift I ever received. It got the YLOD in 2013 during college, but had been my primary gaming system those 7 years. Unfortunately I didn’t have PS plus at the time so all of my save files went kaput with it. I bought a pre-owned slim that year which has been going strong ever since. I’d love to have another console that can play my PS2 games, but given its propensity to break, I didn’t want to invest in another fat at the time. I didn’t get a PS4 until a few years after launch, there’s just something special about the PS3…

Edited by skotafactor

My original fat PS3 was from my dad because unlike most who’ve already replied to this topic, this was the console I grew up on. He bought it from Myer (a major Aussie retailer that has since discontinued the sale of anything video game related well over a decade ago) back in 2007 for $1000 AUD (this amount of currency that year is worth much less today because inflation, obviously) because he was excited by the idea of the PlayStation 3 being both a video game console and a media player.

Music playing from folders on a USB drive or SD card? Watching DVDs and Blu-Ray discs? Supporting Full HD a.k.a. 1920p x 1080p? Backwards compatibility for physical PS2 games? You name it!

Anyway, my brother and I got into it all because dad (who was into MA rated titles such as Army of Two, Heavenly Sword and Resistance: Fall of Man) decided it would cool to get us kids into video games, we played many games over those early years but by far the two games we’d play the most together in that time would be LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga and LittleBigPlanet. Although we I did enjoy going to several hotels, pubs, clubs and taverns hanging around the kids club with Spyro the Dragon and The Simpsons: Hit & Run playing on earlier consoles ultimately having a PlayStation 3 back at home was the biggest first-influence for me as a gamer.

Sometime in the year 2015, the very console I grew up on decided to become a PITA just to turn on, every time I’d touch the power button after five seconds it would make three beeps in quick succession. Even though I had my PS4 and PS Vita to play games on I couldn’t stand having the PS3 act the way it was because there were still a lot of games I cared about on there I couldn’t access any other way.

After two years of spending half an hour troubleshooting every time I wanted access to content exclusive to my fat PS3, eventually I found myself backing-up everything I could and cared about from there then loading it back onto a pre-owned Slim PS3 with 320 gigabytes of HDD storage bought for just over $100 from the nearest EB Games, later tossing the fat PS3 out the car boot during a trip to the dump. While doing this sort of thing normally provides great destruction therapy I did feel a little bad after because apparently I forgot to deactivate the dodgy console from the main account that was on there before throwing it away but that doesn’t matter at all now because that account has since been permanently banned. Long story short, I underestimated just how serious Sony can be at moderating their own online platform (PSN) based on their own Terms of Service as a teenager doing stupid shit and over the span of four years I got punished twice. Creating a brand new main account, different from the very one I grew up with that just got taken away from me was no doubt difficult but now, almost three years later, I’m doing pretty good with access to content across four PlayStation consoles (PS3, PS4, PS5 and who could forget “The Little Vita That Could”?), the most many, if not all young adults playing video games can ask for.

Edited by TurningRedEye

It’s you all. But yeah I have 2 PS3’s. I miss playing world at war! 
I was getting a new TV so I changed my setup but then the TV was smashed during delivery so I haven’t been bothered to set my old setup back up. And the TV has been out of stock for months on end so I gave up. Might need to get my PS5 serviced so that’ll be a chance to set it up again. With the new ps+ tier maybe I won’t need anything but a ps5 ?

My PS3 Fat that I had since 2010 I Think or 2009 died like 2 years ago because of supertension in my house. It fried the HDMI port on Motherboard. After that I bought PS3 Fat that I'm still using to this day, also to my collection I bought Silver color Slim, Azurite Blue Super Slim and another PS3 Fat since it was a nice deal I got those 3 consoles for around 104$. I'm still using my PS3 Fat and since I got those others I do LAN Parties with my friends and family especially we are playing Uncharted 3 through Xlink Kai that way with other players just to have fun.
So yeah Long Live The Prince PS3 (King will always be the PS2 in my opinion)

• Like 1

I've still my slim ps3 and continue to play ( Ultra Street Fighter IV, COD Ghosts, NBA 2K12, TLOU).

I've been doing its cleaning every week since 2013 so that there's no problem. ?

Edited by seyhano

• My first, I bought in 2010, broken disc drive in 2016 (still haven't fixed it)
  • I bought a 320GB Slim in 2017 for £25, still works flawlessly
  • I also bought a backwards compatible PS3 in 2019, works well too 
Edited by StygianWolf4

I still have my fat PS3, I got it in 2007, sadly as many others got YLOD and never used it again, I still have it shelved somewhere at home.

The slim PS3 I got in 2011 and it still works wonderfully to this day, might bring it back to play some old games one of these days...

My original 80GB fat model from 2009 lasted for 9 years before sadly being unable to stay on for more than 30 minutes at a time.

I have since bought a used Slim model that I later outfitted with a 500GB SSD and it still works perfectly, though admittedly, I haven't used it much.

Edited by Zenpai

Sadly no, my original was a 120GB Slim purchased in 2010 and it started having freezing issues last year. I tried every trick I could find to fix it but nothing helped and it eventually just died. Fortunately I had picked up a few extra used PS3s about two years ago for some solo boosting so a 500GB Super Slim became my new workhorse. I've been playing mostly PS3 games for a while now and it's still working great.

Edited by Alpha-Strider

Unfortunately, no...lost mine to the Yellow Death while replaying Darksiders II for like the 4th time, then screwed it up even more when I tried to fix the thermal paste (I was 16 and an idiot). So I've got a second one that I'm doing my best to preserve by leaving it completely unplugged when not in use and by playing ports of its games on my PS4/5 instead where possible. If it comes down to a YLOD again I'll look for professional help in getting it restored.

• Like 1

nope, my original was the fat 30GB one, it had overheating problems out of the box I remember we couldn't even use it properly during summer times, me and my brother were about to send it for repairs but someone offer us a very good deal on a slim 160GB ps3 been used for two weeks in a very good condition complete in a box and we took it, we sold the faulty fat ps3 to someone who's very desperate to get a ps3 at the time, despite we told him it have problems but he insisted to takes it, he said he'll fix it too and so we sold it to him so cheap since it's a faulty console and we're even so generous to give him a game disc for free.

we... at least i'm still using the slim ps3 to this day, my brother not anymore since all the game he's playing is on the ps4.

I remember I heard from a friend of mine that the guy who purchased the faulty ps3 from us said the console have completely died, he did fixed the overheating problem and used it for a while, though luckily for him he already bought a brand new ps3 before the fat one died.

• Like 1