Playstation headset

Rowdi

official-sony-playstation-3-wireless-headset-1.jpg

These have been available for a little while now and I was wondering if somebody would be able to give their opinions on Sony's version. It'd be really great if they could be compared to another headset. I own the Tritton ax720s and was thinking about making the switch. They're a good headset and I'd recommend them to anybody, but sometimes I wonder if I might like to have a wireless set.

Does anybody have these? If so, what are your impressions?

I would love these. I'm in the market for a new set due to the fact that both My PS3 Bluetooth and PS3 eye got destroyed by the little demon spawns I've birthed. but very glad you brought these to My attention. even thought they are averaging about $100 on ebay, I'm very interested. sorry that I don't have any info as far as quality but the blue tooth was awesome and if these preform as good or better I'm sure I will be pleased. hopefully someone will comment where We can both know about quality. but as soon as the funds are available, I'm jumping on this. :holy:

the blue tooth was awesome and if these preform as good or better I'm sure I will be pleased

If you've never used a surround sound headset, you're in for a treat. I've used my fair share of bt headsets and my pair of Trittons are head and shoulders above them. Even if you don't buy the Sony ones buy another brand. Since you're a big Dead Space nut, do yourself a favor and play one the games in that series with your new headset. It'd be best if you did it night too. ;)

I've owned a pair for 2 months or so. Battery life is really good - I'm getting about 6-8 hours a charge. And they can be charged while in use, so if you have a long mini-USB cable (I have a 6 foot cable) you can pretty much rock continuous use. The only downside is it already uses one USB connection for the included dongle, so if you charge them at the same time you will have used all available USB slots (unless you have 1st gen system which had 4 slots, I believe). Not a big deal, but still a negative.

They sound great as well. I really like the separate controls for overall volume and outside voice volume - so, with the right combination of those two tweaks, you can optimize your sound to your preference. Good range on these too. I can wander a good 30/40 feet to other rooms (through walls, in the garage, etc.) before the quality drops. And from what friends have told me the PS3 wireless headset voice quality is great too.

Sorry, I can't compare them to another headset as this is the first headset (wireless or otherwise) I've ever bought. But it's been $100 well spent.

• Like 2

Rowdi,

I was reading some reviews about this headset on a few other forums, and from those who have them, they seem to get generally very good reviews. There was even one poster who had a Turtle Beach headset, and he stated that these are pretty darn close in quality for almost half the price.

I have been eyeballing these as well and am hoping Santa will find a place under the tree for them!

As an owner of Turtle Beach PX21's, Astro A40's and this particular Sony headset, I can say that this is an absolutely fantastic headset. I'd say it is damn near the same quality as the Turtle Beach headset, but still a notch or two below the A40 headset. The charge is fantastic, I've never been out of range with them (I've been around 20-25ft away) and the sound and voice quality are crisp and clear. The only real downside, like mentioned before, is it takes up a USB space. While not a huge deal by any means, especially because you can buy an extra USB add on for a few bucks, I figured it should be mentioned.

Also, if you haven't owned a wireless headset before these will be that much better. I was never a fan of wireless headsets, but when I tried these it turned me into a huge fan. I have a wheel and pedal set up as well on my PS3, so I already have a ton of wires, and one less thing makes a big difference, especially when Astro headsets have wires out the wazoo. Sony made a fantastic decision when they made this headset, and it's easily worth the asking price.

Parker

• Like 2

The only real downside, like mentioned before, is it takes up a USB space. While not a huge deal by any means, especially because you can buy an extra USB add on for a few bucks, I figured it should be mentioned.

Good tip, I hadn't thought of doing that. 2 slots is usually all I need, but it's good to have options.

Also, if you haven't owned a wireless headset before these will be that much better. I was never a fan of wireless headsets, but when I tried these it turned me into a huge fan. I have a wheel and pedal set up as well on my PS3, so I already have a ton of wires, and one less thing makes a big difference, especially when Astro headsets have wires out the wazoo. Sony made a fantastic decision when they made this headset, and it's easily worth the asking price.

Astros :holy:.....

I know exactly what you mean about wires. I have way too much crap hooked up to my ps3 as it is. I've already bought a usb hub and found it to be extremely useful as well.

I been reading some customer reviews on Amazon and it seems to me that the biggest complaint that I've seen people have is that Sony's headset isn't a true 7.1 surround. Is this true. One the best features on my Trittons is the surround. It's only 5.1, but I can hear things from all different directions. Like I said in an earlier post, Dead Space is just ten times better when all the sounds are coming from all around you and with games like CoD, you can actually hear what direction people are coming from. I'd hate to give that up.

Also, can the ps3 headset be controlled from the xmb or is it only setting it as the default audio source?

If I played enough online games to warrant such a purchase, I think I would love to splurge on a nice headset. Maybe I should try and find these cheap somewhere (eBay or Black Friday lol), it could encourage me to participate online more.

They're not just for online communication. I find mine are extremely useful for playing when everybody else in the house is trying to sleep.

• Like 1

They're not just for online communication. I find mine are extremely useful for playing when everybody else in the house is trying to sleep.

Exactly, the only reason I even bought my first headset was because my wife complained about the noise, and I didn't want to wake my Son up. After using them though, I never want to go back to regular television speakers because you miss out on so much sound.

As far as not being "true" 7.1 Surround sound, I think that's correct. From what I've read you can only have "true" 7.1 with multiple speakers, and this headset (as well as Astro's too) only has one. I can tell you though, that it "simulates" surround sound perfectly, meaning I can tell if someone is sneaking up from the left, right or behind. Pretty much anything other surround sound headphones can do, this one does as well.

Parker

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I got one of these and have been using them for about two weeks now. So I figured I'd throw my two cents in on this.

The short version is that I think these are a great value for the price. I found them very comfortable could wear them for a good amount of time with no issues. I have a fair sized head (7 5/8 hat size) and would get some irritation with other sets of headphones after wearing them too long.

The sound quality is pretty good, but flawed. There is volume control for the straight sound, but there is also a slider to balance the game and chat volume. Which is very nice depending on the game you're playing. The surround sound does work nice, but since it's a "virtual surround" I found a hard time sometimes judging depth. The two games I use the headphones for the most are Skyrim and Battlefield 3 and the headphones do a great job of picking up sounds on the different sides, but in some cases I couldn't tell if something was just to my right or three rooms over to my right. So there is a little bit of learning the way the sound is coming. I will say though that the headphones do allow me to hear things I couldn't normally hear through just my tv like a guy reloading in the next room or an approaching enemies footsteps. Which was very cool.

I get about 8 hours of use from a full charge. When I'm wearing them my wife can't hear any sound from them and they do a great job of drowning out the outside sounds. Most of my time is spent wearing them when my wife is trying to go to sleep at the end of the night and they work perfectly for that. For only $100 (less if you can find a good sale), I think that these are well worth the money until you want to step up to top tier brand. I don't think for a wireless set you'll find a better deal right now.

It's all just my opinion, but like many of you I wanted to try to hear what others thought before I made the plunge. So there ya go!

I've owned a pair for 2 months or so. Battery life is really good - I'm getting about 6-8 hours a charge. And they can be charged while in use, so if you have a long mini-USB cable (I have a 6 foot cable) you can pretty much rock continuous use. The only downside is it already uses one USB connection for the included dongle, so if you charge them at the same time you will have used all available USB slots (unless you have 1st gen system which had 4 slots, I believe). Not a big deal, but still a negative.

They sound great as well. I really like the separate controls for overall volume and outside voice volume - so, with the right combination of those two tweaks, you can optimize your sound to your preference. Good range on these too. I can wander a good 30/40 feet to other rooms (through walls, in the garage, etc.) before the quality drops. And from what friends have told me the PS3 wireless headset voice quality is great too.

Sorry, I can't compare them to another headset as this is the first headset (wireless or otherwise) I've ever bought. But it's been $100 well spent.

Uhhhh, ditto.

These have made my gaming experience 10 fold. I am married with children and typically game late at night. I can throw these puppies on and fully enjoy the experience now where I used to have the volume super low. Another tip for charging them while playing (if needed)... I sometimes have my netbook next to me on the side table and can plug in the USB cord to charge the headset right from there. I sit about 25 feet from my TV so I can't use the PS3 to charge while using them.

Edit:[/b]']

I can finally hear the whispers in Assassin's Creed... w00t!

I own a set and they sound is fantastic. Great for when the kids want to play online with their friends for hours on end without their ear hurting from the previous Sony ear piece. Also great for kids who want to play without waking anyone else or making heaps of noise. Good for the hubby when he wants to play GT5 really loud. Also great for watching movies etc. Really comfortable to wear good battery life. I think they are awesome :)

• 4 weeks later...

I've had it for about a week now and have to say they are awesome. the blue tooth ear piece I often had difficulty getting it to sit rite in My ear without it just hanging down loosely and often got an ear ache after hours of use. with the 7.1 it not only sits rite, but I could play for hours without even a thought of pain. muting mic is so simple, all the buttons and volume levers are so easy and reachable. really, even when home alone I wouldn't play without it. it automatically syncs and mutes the volume to the TV the moment you turn it on.

there are 3 wifi signals with 80% or better within reach of My PS3 and I know it has only been a week but I have never had any interference @ all. well, none that I have noticed.

but on the negative, the signal distance leaves room to be desired. I sit about 10 to 12 feet from My PS3, granted I have a 63" TV.

but to get up and walk away, 25 to 30 feet the signal comes and goes. but really, to be that far away I'm guessing you wouldn't be playing anyway. but it still gets a 10/10 in My book. the sound is awesome. the special effects in lost Planet 2 sounds awesome. you hear every word the characters have to say. can't say I will be playing any other way from now on. and for $509it was priced @ $50 on December 26, I take that back, under $25 dollars(traded in 5 games @ gamestop) I got a steal of a deal.. :lol:

• Like 2