The NASCAR Discussion Thread

mega-tallica

If F1 gets a thread, I feel like Nascar deserves one too. I doubt it would be madly popular on these forums but hey, what's the harm in putting a feeler out there? Let's see what happens.

Been a big fan myself since the late 90's. The sport has changed a lot since then for better or for worse but still, regardless of all the rules changes and 'enhancements', watching cars go round in circles for 3 hours every Sunday is something I still enjoy watching. Being a Jersey boy, I'm just about the only person I know that could say that. 

So how about it, any Nascar fans out there? 

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Conker said:

Fun race at Sonoma yesterday with Daniel Suarez picking up his 1st win , such a liked driver by all

Well deserved too. Suarez has been fast all year, glad he finally found a home at Trackhouse where he can excel.

With all the road courses coming up still, may not be his only win this year. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, S_Young4 said:

It never hurts & I've watched since Watkins Glen in August of 1997. You're entirely correct-- the sport has changed for better or worse, but it has led me to other disciplines like Indy, F1, IMSA & WEC over the years.

Nascar certainly makes for a good gateway into the racing world.

Despite what its critics say, I think Nascar has always been extremely unique compared to all the other racing divisions. Between the on-track product and the rules they have, it really stands on its own. Again; for better or for worse. Racing being at a bit of a fork in the road with the product trying to adapt to modern times and retaining viewership with an extremely fickle modern consumer and a future that is doing away with carbon emissions and going electric, it'll continue to be interesting to watch how racing continues to adapt. 

10 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

There’s good reason for it. I also don’t like Brad Keselowski either. 

Yeah BK was hated a lot, but I don’t think he gets much hate these days as he left Peske Racing.

When I think about BK I always remember that 2014 season when he was just beefing with everybody haha, then he just got punked multiple times… poor guy ? he had it coming tho!

Edited by NetoStyle

The best/worst Keselowski moment was when he hit Stewart on pit road by accident and then Stewart jammed his car in reverse and smashed the shit out of Keselowski's front end in retaliation. 

And then to cap it off, Kenseth jumps him in the garage. Think it was the same year too that he got into the beef with Gordon. 2014 was a bad year for Keselowski. 

I can't recall any other major incidents with Keselowski since, he's matured a lot since then. 

21 hours ago, mega-tallica said:

Nascar certainly makes for a good gateway into the racing world.

Despite what its critics say, I think Nascar has always been extremely unique compared to all the other racing divisions. Between the on-track product and the rules they have, it really stands on its own. Again; for better or for worse. Racing being at a bit of a fork in the road with the product trying to adapt to modern times and retaining viewership with an extremely fickle modern consumer and a future that is doing away with carbon emissions and going electric, it'll continue to be interesting to watch how racing continues to adapt. 

I think they'll manage to survive, but the product will look completely different. There will probably be a dedicated electric series ala Formula E & perhaps shorter races.

15 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Fuck Kyle Busch, Denny Hamlin, and Joey Logano.

Definitely Logano. Comes off as a smarmy prick underneath that smile.

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, mega-tallica said:

Tyler Reddick signs with 23XI Racing... for 2024.

What a screwjob 23XI pulled on RCR to announce this that early. I can't recall another time an announcement like this was done this early, a full year and a half in advance. Just really odd. 

I've seen announcements for the following season, but not the season after that. I thought their response to it was pretty fitting, considering he just got his first win a short time ago.

3 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

I've seen announcements for the following season, but not the season after that. I thought their response to it was pretty fitting, considering he just got his first win a short time ago.

With how fickle sponsorship is in Nascar now, I'd imagine this greatly effects RCR being able to sign with sponsors with any kind of long term agreement until they get another driver lined up to replace Reddick who they most surely were using to market to sponsors especially after his first win. Puts RCR in a really bad spot but it greatly benefits 23XI though as they have all the time in the world now to get sponsors lined up for Reddick. 

• 7 months later...

Wrecky Stenhouse managed to win the 500!

Almost lost my mind at the end when I thought Logano took the lead when the caution came out. Had a bet in that a Chevy would win so I was pulling for Stenhouse at the end. Made up for the fact my Truex bet did not work out at all a little bit. Sucks for Brad K though, those RFK Ford's were strong and it felt like his year finally. One missed block put him back in the pack and he ended up wrecking. I have a strong feeling RFK is going to be much more competitive this year than last year and they're going to win multiple races between the 2 of them. 

Anyways, going to try and do a better job of maintaining this thread this year. Not a whole lot of stories going into this year besides Kyle Busch now driving for RCR and looking strong to start off the year. Hot take but I got Kyle Busch in my final 4 already and a strong contender for the championship this year, stronger than he has been these last few years with JGR even. The field this year is relatively weak and it's going to be veteran dominated but there will be some new breakthrough's I think too. Bell and Reddick were the breakthrough's last year and Bell right out of the gate appears to be the strongest Toyota car, was fast at the Clash and fast at Daytona. He's prime for a massive year. 

As for a new breakthrough this year, I've got my eye on Cindric. I think he'll be surprising this year. Everybody is talking about Preece like he'll be carrying the torch for SHR once Harvick's gone, eh, that's a big exaggeration. Wait to see how well he does on the 1.5 mile tracks before making predictions, those were always his weakpoint before. Does well at the plate tracks and short tracks though because of his modified background. SHR is in big trouble when Harvick leaves. Who's going to take over the 4? Riley Herbst? Give me a break.