Recommended build for NG+ on Ultra Hard

HusKy

Just now, steel6burgh said:

didn't the 1st one she have some sort of armor that constantly healed her?  Hopefully they brought that back.

No such thing in HFW. Apparently, it ran out of juice. xD

I expect UH in HFW to be harder compared to first game hence I'm asking for some recommendations.

Copying this post from user @Pyramat from the DLC thread:

For bows I think the best one is the Death Seeker's Shadow but you still want multiple bows so you can cover the different arrow types to exploit enemy weaknesses. And the Skykiller spike thrower is also really good; I found that, at least on normal, the spike throwers did huge damage and the Skykiller is the best one in the game. I never really bothered with blast slings or tripcasters which was fine on normal but I don't know if that'll hold for ultra hard. It'll be interesting to see if there's even better weapons included as part of the new update.

Also, seems like this article that lists legendary weapons could be useful:

https://www.thegamer.com/horizon-forbidden-west-best-legendary-weapons/

7 hours ago, HusKy said:

Copying this post from user @Pyramat from the DLC thread:

Also, seems like this article that lists legendary weapons could be useful:

https://www.thegamer.com/horizon-forbidden-west-best-legendary-weapons/

Death seeker bow for damage

Sun Scourge for most of the elements. That's how I dealt with my first run. I'll be starting today and see how far it's going to carry me in this one. 

54 minutes ago, Teh_Zombz said:

did the update add new armor/weapons for ng+? 

Not too sure.

Tip for anyone I would highly suggest to just put the main game on story difficulty and first upgrade your stuff to the max. It really does make a difference.

Edited by Deluziion90
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Deluziion90 said:

Not too sure.

Tip for anyone I would highly suggest to just put the main game on story difficulty and first upgrade your stuff to the max. It really does make a difference.

Not even necessary, but yeah you can do that. The game isn't as bad as I expected for ultra hard. I have nothing upgraded to max. A mix of all rarity weapons, and all skills basically. I originally played it in a mix of normal, easy and story.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Markemmanuel said:

Not even necessary, but yeah you can do that. The game isn't as bad as I expected for ultra hard. I have nothing upgraded to max. A mix of all rarity weapons, and all skills basically. I originally played it in a mix of normal, easy and story.

Good to know thanks!

I got 

Sun scourge maxed out

death-seaker shadow maxed out

and for armor I have Nora thunder warrior maxed out.

This should be doable :P 

• Like 4

It's actually really easy, just like on Zero Dawn, but the reason may be because I have my main armor and weapons maxed out, including my main bow Death-Seeker's Shadow, plus The Skykiller, Icestorm Boltblaster and Wings Of The Ten just to name a few. I did everything and stocked up on supplies on my original run so I don't have to worry too much on Ultra Hard. If anyone is having problems, I recommend to upgrade all your main weapons and armor and have the best coils allocated to them that you have, before you start New Game Plus. 

Edited by Nitemares-----

I played NG on VH and towards the end I felt like Spike Throwers and Braced shot were pretty OP. Spike Throws stagger a lot of the machines and braced shots take out a large chunk of their health at a time. If you acquired all the legendary gear then you can pretty much use the build shown in the video. You don't have min/max the damage output as the video, but it gives a basic idea to what to go for. Still haven't played UH, but I don't think it's going to be as big of a difficulty spike with maxed gear.

• Like 3

I've got a fully upgraded Forgefall from NG and it seems just as OP as ever in Ultra Hard NG+.  Braced Shot is particularly OP, but even still just shooting weak points/parts with my advanced impact arrows does absurd damage.  Also the Radial Surge (shock aoe) valor surge seems incredibly OP to me as well.  It does massive damage and boosts your damage against shocked enemies by 100% for like 15 seconds.  If you don't care about picking up parts then explosive javelins are also great to have.

I use two blast slings for various status effects and then Death Seeker's Shadow and Wildfire Hunter Bow in addition to the aforementioned explosive javelin/Forgefall.  I socketed two 100% tear damage for impact arrows, two impact dmg coils and a crit chance coil into my Forgefall because I don't have access to tearblast arrows.  My advanced impact arrows on that thing have 728 tear and 290 impact.

I don't really bother with tripcaster/ropecaster in Forbidden West as I think they were nerfed into just being flat out useless.  The Boltblaster has way too much downtime for little payoff and the shredder gauntlet just feels like a weapon designed under the "work harder not smarter" mentality.  It's a bunch of bullshit to put up with and the damage isn't even good.  Warrior bow I do not use as it does not suit my play style.. but it can be good with the right approach.  I also don't like traps.  I just inflict status ailments and tear parts off with Death Seeker or go for tremendous burst damage with Forgefall/Explosive Javelin/Radial Blast.

As far as I can tell, Nora Thunder Warrior is the best armor.. at least for the play style I just described above.

• Like 3

Here a list of resources, needed for the new Legendary Weapons:

Make sure you get those BEFORE starting NG+ Ultra Hard.

Apex Behemoth Heart        2

Apex Clawstrider Heart        4
Apex Elemental Clawstrider Heart        2
Apex Fireclaw Heart        9
Apex Frostclaw Heart        3
Apex Ravager Heart        6
Apex Scorcher Heart        4
Apex Shellsnapper Heart        3
Apex Slaughterspine Heart        3
Apex Slitherfang Heart        3
Apex Snapmaw Heart        3
Apex Stalker Heart        9
Apex Stormbird Heart        3
Apex Thunderjaw Heart        1
Apex Tideripper Heart        2
Apex Tremortusk Heart        3
Behemoth Circulator        4
Behemoth Force Loader        9
Behemoth Primary Nerve        2
Braided Wire        19
Dreadwing Metal Fang        15
Dreadwing Primary Nerve        8
Elemental Clawstrider Sac Webbing        5
Fanghorn Antler        2
Fireclaw Circulator        6
Fireclaw Sac Webbing        6
Frostclaw Circulator        7
Frostclaw Primary Nerve        2
Frostclaw Sac Webbing        2
Glinthawk Beak        1
Glinthawk Circulator        1
Glinthawk Primary Nerve        2
Luminous Brainstem        105
Medium Machine Core        8
Metal Shards        36.537
Rockbreaker Mining Claw        6
Rockbreaker Primary Nerve        2
Scorcher Circulator        4
Shell-Walker Lightning Gun        2
Shellsnapper Circulator        4
Shellsnapper Primary Nerve        2
Shellsnapper Shell Bolt        10
Slaughterspine Circulator        4
Slitherfang Circulator        4
Slitherfang Earthgrinder        21
Slitherfang Primary Nerve        4
Small Machine Core        2
Stalker Circulator        5
Stalker Primary Nerve        3
Stalker Stealth Generator        3
Stormbird Circulator        2
Stormbird Primary Nerve        8
Stormbird Storm Cannon        7
Thunderjaw Primary Nerve        6
Thunderjaw Tail        4
Tideripper Circulator        2
Tideripper Primary Nerve        4
Tideripper Tail Fin        3
Tremortusk Circulator        6
Tremortusk Tusk        10

Ruin's will give Champion Tokens, avoid everything related to Melee Pit and the Arena.

Stock up Food, Volatile Sludge and other rare materials, before starting NG+.

Recommended Gear:

Nora Thunder Warrior Outfit (Weapon Stamina+, Critical Strike+)

Forgefall: For Plasma and Sniper Damage (Coils: 2x Aerial Enemy Damage, Draw Speed, Overdraw Damage, Impact Damage)

Wings of the Ten: For Group Control and Huge Instant Damage (Coils: Explosive Damage 2x, Multiple Enemey Damage x2, Close Range Damage)

The Blast Forge: Great Special Attack, All Bolts shot at once (Coils: use the Legendary, equip different elemental types)

Tools: Fast Travel Pack, Smoke Bomb, Large Potions, Food (Legacys Landfall), Mount, Sunwing (when you reach your Base)

Skills: All of them, Valor Surge: Ranged Master

All Pouches Maxed out

And Remember: You don't want to farm for components on Ultra Hard, its a waste of your resources and time, fighting a Fireclaw on UH isn't fun anymore.

• Like 4

@VoltFieber I'm confused by your post.

Why would you grind parts? Don't you just need tokens to buy the weapons? What are the parts for?

Also, after finishing the main story, you can apparently lower the difficulty and collect the 17 required items that way.

4 hours ago, HusKy said:

@VoltFieber I'm confused by your post.

Why would you grind parts? Don't you just need tokens to buy the weapons? What are the parts for?

Also, after finishing the main story, you can apparently lower the difficulty and collect the 17 required items that way.

I just finished the main story on ultra hard, fast traveled a few areas, and could not change difficulty. 

However, starting ng+ again will save your champion tokens and ng+ weapons. 

The main downside to doing this would be losing the flying mount, but I was ok with that. 

On 3. 6. 2022 at 11:36 AM, Tsundokuist said:

They will 100% release a story expansion that increases the level cap, adds new ability tree branches and true “end game” weapons and armour.

The best strategy for Ultra Hard may just be to do it in Oct/Nov/Dec.

How is a story expansion going to help with tokens (items) that can be collected only during NG+? Trying to give myself a reason not to start now but I'm afraid we are all trapped together in this NG+ "near 100%" run.

edit. I think some time could be saved if they allow to lower difficulty from UH (after unlocking NG+ trophies) or if you do NG++ run and do the DLC during this run.

Edited by HusKy

36 minutes ago, HusKy said:

How is a story expansion going to help with tokens (items) that can be collected only during NG+? Trying to give myself a reason not to start now but I'm afraid we are all trapped together in this NG+ "near 100%" run.

edit. I think some time could be saved if they allow to lower difficulty from UH (after unlocking NG+ trophies) or if you do NG++ run and do the DLC during this run.

The poster is saying that an expansion will probably add new weapons and armor that will be better than anything in the game right now, therefore making any Ultra Hard attempt even easier. 

With the Frozen Wilds expansion in Zero Dawn, some of the Banuk weapons they added were straight busted and made even the hardest difficulty a near cakewalk.

1 minute ago, JocoDynamo said:

The poster is saying that an expansion will probably add new weapons and armor that will be better than anything in the game right now, therefore making any Ultra Hard attempt even easier. 

With the Frozen Wilds expansion in Zero Dawn, some of the Banuk weapons they added were straight busted and made even the hardest difficulty a near cakewalk.

Right, but that would be a very small time saver from what I can tell. On the other hand, if you could collect tokens in the DLC even during NG, that would be a lot more interesting.

• Like 2

Ok I just got this Trophy on the PS4, maybe my prejudgement of this being really easy was a mistake, in the Main Quests starting from Gemini on was all bad, but I prevailed haha, geez talk about a pain, glad that's over with.

Edited by Nitemares-----
  • Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 11:14 AM, Deluziion90 said:

Then you have people like this lol. Takes him less then a minute to kill the boss

I like how he states 'this game is so easy even on ultra-hard'. Yeah, it's easy when you grind for 100 hours and you have all the best weapons and gear and they're all maxed out. It's not really all that impressive. 

The whole point is most people don't want to do all that and are tackling ultra-hard with average builds in which, yes, the game is actually a bit tough. 

• Like 4

All I used was the Skykiller and the Nora Thunder Armor. I died 3 or 4 times and would say it was pretty manageable. The last boss was a huge HP sponge.

To grind the 125 Token you need around 50 to 60 overall completion in a ng+.

First I did the ng+ on very easy difficulty and grinded 105 token, upgraded the nora thunder armor and the skykiller, then I speedrunned the story on ultra hard.

I am looking forward to a new story dlc

• Like 3