Outlast

Ethan_Targaryen

Contemplating whether or not I should try this game, it looks like an interesting game, but I am not a fan of the horror genre - so much so that I avoid horror films and video games by any means necessary - i just don't enjoy the feeling of being frightened. The original BioShock is the only "horror" game I've played in recent memory and that scared me quite a bit, but according to most people it wasn't even remotely scary.

Edited by rb8gem9
  • Like 1

Contemplating whether or not I should try this game, it looks like an interesting game, but I am not a fan of the horror genre - so much so that I avoid horror films and video games by any means necessary - i just don't enjoy the feeling of being frightened. The original BioShock is the only "horror" game I've played in recent memory and that scared me quite a bit, but according to most people it wasn't even remotely scary.

I don't think you'd like Outlast then. It's main focus is on horror with creepy atmosphere and tons of jump scares. There's a few chase sequences too and I personally hate those.

• Like 1

If you thought Bioshock was scary, then this game will probably scare the living s*** outta you. I didn't find bioshock scary at all but this game jeez a completely different level of fright. Of course I don't find many scary movies/games scary, but this whoa just whoa. 

Piggybacking on this statement, I am wondering if I should even bother with it.  For reference, Silent Hill 2 scared the crap out of me, but to my credit, I was trying to play it at night with headphones (PC version), and when I was like 13.  I got through the first Bioshock fine, and was able to get through Dead Space 1 and halfway through Dead Space 2 (though in that case I kinda lost the drive to play).  Also the classic RE games are totally fine with me, they're actually some of my favorite games.

Piggybacking on this statement, I am wondering if I should even bother with it.  For reference, Silent Hill 2 scared the crap out of me, but to my credit, I was trying to play it at night with headphones (PC version), and when I was like 13.  I got through the first Bioshock fine, and was able to get through Dead Space 1 and halfway through Dead Space 2 (though in that case I kinda lost the drive to play).  Also the classic RE games are totally fine with me, they're actually some of my favorite games.

Never played Silent Hill 2 so I can't comment and I never found dead space 1 or 2 even remotely scary, however this game I think is scary simply because you can hear your character breathing heavily when enemies are nearby, the fact you can't fight back and the camera takes battery life to use the infrared. I am playing this however at night with the lights out and its got me playing extremely cautiously. I'd have to play during the day with lights on to see if it's less scary.

I do love the game, just like i love Amnesia: Dark Descent and a machine for pigs. The industry is so fucking saturated with shooters and horror games that are nothing more than pure action games with horror skin, dead space 3, resident evil 5, 6 etc.

That's why i love games where you do nothing but survive and hide.

Although with Outlast the atmoshpere kinda dies off sometimes if you die at one area too many times, then you can simply run and hope to not get insta-killed. It kinda goes from " oh shit i cant fucking do this i better turn of my choice of gaming system " to " ah fuck it i want to procceed with the story now "

So if Alien Isolation is half as amazing it looks, it's easily one of the best candidates of the goty.

I dont know much about horror games all i know is dedicated fans of horror games have said it is not scary. But im pretty new to the genre and this game is scary i have to keep reminding myself its just a game. After i play outlast i have to play some friendly nice game to get it outta my head.

My father who plays video games casually (He more enjoys COD and BF4) he told me he does not like it because it feels very scripted and its more cat and mouse chases. He also said after a while the game becomes pretty dull and boring as he is only hiding and running. Personally i am not that far into the game to agree he has been racing through and is toward the end

Edited by deadlygunner18

Not really sure I can play this, for two reasons: 1. I have a very active imagination, and things like Smiledog pictures have had me creeped out for days. 2. Every morning I have to get up at 5 am to get ready for work, and I have to stumble downstairs in the dark with only my cellphone as a light.

Not really sure I can play this, for two reasons: 1. I have a very active imagination, and things like Smiledog pictures have had me creeped out for days. 2. Every morning I have to get up at 5 am to get ready for work, and I have to stumble downstairs in the dark with only my cellphone as a light.

Since I don't have a PS4 I watched Powerpyx on Youtube do a speedrun on insane, he finishes the game in 1 hour 15 min. Maybe you can watch him play, that's a lot less stressful for your heart than playing it yourself ;).