Outlast

Ethan_Targaryen

I finished outlast earlier today. It was scary throughout most of the game but towards the last quarter of the game it's no where near as scary as long as you can keep a level head and wait things out instead of rushing through. 

All in all it was enjoyable, might try playing it on Insane next. 

I finished outlast earlier today. It was scary throughout most of the game but towards the last quarter of the game it's no where near as scary as long as you can keep a level head and wait things out instead of rushing through. 

All in all it was enjoyable, might try playing it on Insane next. 

yeah the scares become predictable near the end, but i loved seeing all that blood and bodies everywhere, some were done very creatively :P

• 7 months later...

Ethandismembered, if dead space 1 or 2 didn't remotely scare you, but outlast was a whoa, just whoa I'm at a loss of what scary is then.  Dead space 2's intro alone has two of the best jump scares I've had the pleasure to experience, given you aren't playing for the 2nd, 3rd time obviously.  and well dead space 1 is in a complete league of it's own for it's time and the story, isolation, environment, gameplay, & everything, which to me completely blows outlast out of the water.   Dead space 1's intro too with the elevator was epic!  I literally couldn't believe how sweet that scene was years ago when I randomly bought dead space for 4 bucks.     Not even remotely scared huh?  Not scared remotely  :P     did you play outside at noon?  

I just got done with the evil within so I'm on the horror scene so forgive me for calling out your dead space comment.  Its moreso for anyone who reads this and thinks for two seconds that outlast is even in the same league as dead space 1 or 2 on the survival horror scene.  While you posted a long time ago, I have an unwavering commitment to dead space to get my opinion out as well. 

If sitting and watching in night vision, looking up online for a route to the next switch and measuring the enemies movements by trial and error (with no way to fight back) is your definition of whoa, just whoa then more power to you, but I have to disagree.   Outlast becomes kind of a joke, and is comical with how over done it is.  It's best part(s) are right off the bat, but becomes business as usual since the story is sub par.   Its sneak past enemies, touch lever, hide, rinse, repeat.   I've done quite a bit of reading when it comes to outlast so I feel like I have a good understand of what I haven't played.  I think this is a good game for a more simple person to go play to get a more basic scare or scary experience.  It's dark, I need a battery, and I have to avoid these monsters.  My battery is almost gone.  Oh shit let me try that again!  The game gets repetitive.  It's too one dimensional.

With all that being said, maybe I'll have to go play, I mean finish outlast and have a normal take on this rather than these ramblings.  It simply wasn't my cup of tea. 

Ps.  if you want to hide in lockers or under beds, the evil within implements these tactics as well!

One day I think i'll stop trying to defend dead space from people who say it didn't even scare them one bit.  I understand that person probably does exsist, but I'm guessing you're not that guy.

Edited by SilkyJay86

• 4 weeks later...

Started playing again for the first time since April. Started over since I had forgotten how to play. Not scary on the second run through of obviously but now I've progressed past where I initially got upto the game does seem to have run out of scares. That said, the plenty of game left to make me regret those words!