Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The_Kopite

Sega Mega Drive Mini 2 announced!

16 posts in this topic

An interesting announcement from SEGA 🧐 I thought for sure they’d try for a Master System mini or Dreamcast mini going forward, but alas it’s another Genesis. The most obvious difference between this mini compared to the last one are the SEGA CD games.

 

Popful Mail is a delightful surprise along with Slipheed 😁 But if this mini is to release internationally, the list of games will surely be different. For the western market, I can see the CD version of Earthworm Jim making the cut. The only English version of Snatcher would be great as well. They should also consider Keio Flying Squadron considering how freaking expensive that one is now.

 

I’ll keep a close eye on this, and pray SEGA doesn’t load this up with a bunch of crummy FMV games. It may be worth replacing my Model 1 mini with this one for it has the CD bios already inside *wink wink* 😛

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is neat. I'm glad they at least seem to be focusing on Sega CD games, rather than just more Genesis games. I wish they'd do a Saturn one though. The Saturn is the only Sega console I never had. I've always wanted one but they've always been a little too expensive for me.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ShonenCat said:

An interesting announcement from SEGA 🧐 I thought for sure they’d try for a Master System mini or Dreamcast mini going forward, but alas it’s another Genesis. The most obvious difference between this mini compared to the last one are the SEGA CD games.

 

Popful Mail is a delightful surprise along with Slipheed 1f601.png But if this mini is to release internationally, the list of games will surely be different. For the western market, I can see the CD version of Earthworm Jim making the cut. The only English version of Snatcher would be great as well. They should also consider Keio Flying Squadron considering how freaking expensive that one is now.

 

I’ll keep a close eye on this, and pray SEGA doesn’t load this up with a bunch of crummy FMV games. It may be worth replacing my Model 1 mini with this one for it has the CD bios already inside *wink wink* 1f61b.png

Haha sounds like you've got a reason to get this whatever SEGA do!

 

2 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

This is neat. I'm glad they at least seem to be focusing on Sega CD games, rather than just more Genesis games. I wish they'd do a Saturn one though. The Saturn is the only Sega console I never had. I've always wanted one but they've always been a little too expensive for me.

I owned a Mega Drive, then a Saturn before owning the PS One (The small revision console after the OG PS1) and the Saturn still had some wonderful games that are well worth playing today. If you could get one at a reasonable price and as long as you like the range of games on offer for the console, I doubt you'd regret it.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd buy the Saturn one just to play that elusive version of Symphony of the Night.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, The_Kopite said:

I owned a Mega Drive, then a Saturn before owning the PS One (The small revision console after the OG PS1) and the Saturn still had some wonderful games that are well worth playing today. If you could get one at a reasonable price and as long as you like the range of games on offer for the console, I doubt you'd regret it.

Unfortunately the reasonable price doesn't really exist. I generally see a decent condition console for somewhere between $200-$400, and the games are generally $50-$100+. I'd have to spend around $400-$500 just to get the console and maybe a few games. Then I'd have to essentially pay full price or more per game every time I wanted something new. It's just too much for me to spend on an older console. If I'm going to spend that much, I'd rather just get a PS5. Hopefully one day they release a mini though. I'd be more than happy to spend around $50-$100 for a collection.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m just hoping they stick to the superior emulation that the last one did and don’t revert to atgames. The inclusion of Sega CD is an interesting addition, plus 50 games is a pretty nice collection, blowing even Nintendo out of the water, provided the controller is good in the hand and the game selection is mostly quality and not filler.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

Unfortunately the reasonable price doesn't really exist. I generally see a decent condition console for somewhere between $200-$400, and the games are generally $50-$100+. I'd have to spend around $400-$500 just to get the console and maybe a few games. Then I'd have to essentially pay full price or more per game every time I wanted something new. It's just too much for me to spend on an older console. If I'm going to spend that much, I'd rather just get a PS5. Hopefully one day they release a mini though. I'd be more than happy to spend around $50-$100 for a collection.

Wow, that's really expensive! Here in the UK you can get them unboxed for around 50-100 GBP. Was lucky myself that managed to find the one I had. Certainly a Sega Saturn mini would be a really cool option!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have hopes for a Sega Saturn or a Dreamcast, those are the consoles I spent the best times of my childhood.

 

Stilll this seem to be a very good offer, even more with those CD games.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This sounds awesome! I love how they're focusing on Mega CD games and hopefully you get use that little tower of power thing to make it feel a bit more authentic. Some 32X games would be nice too, although the only one I'm that bothered about is Knuckles Chaotix. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Checked Amazon.JP but they don’t have them listed yet 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MadEdders95 said:

This sounds awesome! I love how they're focusing on Mega CD games and hopefully you get use that little tower of power thing to make it feel a bit more authentic. Some 32X games would be nice too, although the only one I'm that bothered about is Knuckles Chaotix. 

Need to add that to my Sonic collection! Never played it and would love to! Sadly very pricey!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might up and get this one
Hoping they do a Sega Saturn and Dreamcast one since I actually never owned those systems.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the Mega CD, not sure if it's possible but the Mega CD versions of Earthworm Jim, The Terminator, Micky Mania and Keio Flying Squadron would be great to have. Lords of Thunder, The Secret of Monkey Island and of course Road Avenger would be amazing too. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Nightstream88 said:

Might up and get this one
Hoping they do a Sega Saturn and Dreamcast one since I actually never owned those systems.


The Sega Saturn will be extremely difficult to emulate, but they might pull a miracle. Furthermore, Shining Force III's Scenarios and Panzer Dragoon Saga are some of the best Sega jrpgs I've played. I even played Grandia on that console.

Edited by thepeaguy83
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Mega EverDrive Pro cartridge from Krikkz will run both cartridge and Sega CD games as well as Master System. However you want an OSSC or Retrotink for a decent image.

Dreamcast has a very cheap SD card mod, there's literally no point in a Dreamcast mini.

TerraOnion has made the "Mode" for the Sega saturn, So my actual Saturn has an SSD replacing the laser. Again it's very expensive and you want RGB to HDMI.

 

Mini consoles, well they are a hell of allot cheaper then owning the real deal. I have no need for a mini anything but I can appreciate their existence, Hopefully this is better quality.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.