I screwed up my profile (voluntarily)

Demask

..or, to be more precise, I screwed up my father's old PSN profile. Partly voluntarily.

I'd like to share my "point of view" with you even if I know that you could possibly disagree.

Some years ago, when I was a kid, I used to play my PS1 & PS2 games, only to enjoy the games, alone or with my brothers.

It was a lot of fun. My videogames passion started there.

Then came the XBOX 360. Great console, HD Gaming and, above all, the achievements.

Subsequently, the PS3's trophies came too.

My way of playing changed. The game, of course, was always important, but achievements and trophies started to acquire more importance to me.

So, for example, I started to play a single game multiple times to try to get every trophy. Tried the most frustrating difficulties, even if I knew the story, the plot and so on. Useless, I'd say today.

Why should I play a game for a second time, spending many hours on a game I already know, whgen I could start a brand new game and enjoy more?

Nevertheless, even if my rational mind told me this, the trophies were a fixation.

So I decided: hack them. Play the game until you enjoy it, then ack the trophies still locked and change game. Plain and simple.

I started with some trophy here and there, then, hacked entire games (for example JP versions of US games I'd already completed)

Consequences?

Even if, at first, no one cared, no one noticed, my trophy list became more and more meaningless. Alongside important, legit ad difficult trophies, there were the hacked ones that invalidate the whole list.

A little sad, at first, because my old efforts lost their meaning.

Next step, I made my profile private (both on xbox and on PSN). There was no point in keeping it public.

BUT... finally I was healing from my fixation. Why should I struggle for a difficult frustrating trophy no one can see? Why shouldn't I start a new game even if my previous is not completely unlocked?

Now, I'm experimenting a new "gamer life", playing on every platforms (PS5, XsX, Switch, Steam...) only to enjoy games.

I know you probably disagree... but this is my experience and my point of view. I'm a happier gamer, now. Hope you understand!

:-)

Edited by Demask
  • Like 2

I think it’s more brilliant that this person managed only three posts on the forums after registering back in 2014. 

Hacking doesn’t reward patience, it rewards guilty pleasure. It’s flat out cheating. 

Be thankful it wasn’t a MMORPG or MOBA you cheated on. 

I felt that way playing the Nintendo DS, you just play whatever without a care in the world. No need to worry about missables or side quests. I remember I used to play the harvest moon games and stop playing once my character got married and had a kid. That was the games "end" to me. 

When I looked at the SoS Friends of mineral town trophy guide on PS4, I certainly would no get away with that without fishing every fish, cooking every recipe, shipping every crop and also reaching year 5 over a 100+ hour platinum time, certainly something I would never bother with if there were no trophies. 

I don't disagree with weaning off trophies if they make the experience miserable, its what I have done. But I think the OP went ultra bitch mode here. 

It seems even more pointless to 'hack' a trophy you had no intention to go for at all and I think its more a case of he probably wanted to the profile to keep going but something fucked up along the way. The only positive here is that he fucked up early on and now he's sacked the whole system off and is enjoying gaming his own way, but I feel this was post destined to happen for him at some point as I think he would have kept going had he not messed it up. 

I don't even know how you could 'hack' trophies as I thought it was all tied to SONY's servers, but the easy way to get around this when wanting a 100% profile completion streak is just play stressful trophy games or whatever on a dummy account

• Like 1

Well that's a different way to approach a trophy obsession.

Every time I want to rest from caring for trophies I just play games that I know I will not get the platinum.

Then again the way I play games for platinum has been usually the way I always play. You know, Mario 64 unlock Yoshi, get every star even if you already beat the game, same for most 64 games.

Xbox, Halo I played multiple times and tried different approaches.

First playstation console that I owned is ps3 and I played multiple games that didn't even have trophies. For me trophies are a way to remind me what games I played and if I completed them or did most of the things to do. Just a symbol.