Performance on PS4 systems?

AJ_Radio

If you’re less fortunate like me and can’t afford the PS5 just yet, you might have settled for last gen versions of certain games like Horizon Forbidden West and Elden Ring. 

We all know why Diablo 2 is legendary. I played a lot of it in my early teenage years. Had lots of fun with friends. Rolled with a Druid character, can’t remember the specs I used for the talent trees. 

I already know I will not get this platinum. I don’t give up easily when it comes to trophies, but the trophy requirements for this game are much too extreme. 

In case I do pick up this game, I want to know if anyone playing on PS4 via OG, Slim or Pro, how it plays in terms of performance. 

The best system for this game is the PC, but I’m running a Windows 10 computer that wasn’t custom designed and can only play modern indies and some AA production level games off of Steam. 

This remaster looks to stay true to the 2001 original with expansion pack. Seems like another World of Warcraft Classic. 

Does this game perform okay? Or are you better off just settling for the PS5 version?

I don't own the game so I likely don't know what I'm talking about, but I have to imagine if you have a PC that can play Steam indies it will be more than capable of handling D2 Resurrected.  How do the published requirements compare to what your PC has?

I'd also imagine it would run A-OK on PS4, but that's just a hunch.

It’s a standard computer from 2018, so it’s unable to run any modern AAA game on optimal settings, not even recommended settings.

Diablo II is a pretty old game. I’ve played the actual original and the expansion with patches and mods. Not sure how Resurrected will run.

Runs fine for the most part. I played on a base PS4 and my only real complaint is the load times when using waypoints or loading into new areas. For example, the scariest load is when you're loading into to fight Duriel. He will most likely get a few hits in on you or your merc before the loading is done. If he ends up killing you it's extremely difficult to get your body back since he will most likely kill gearless character before the loading is finished. I don't mean for this to sound like it takes minutes to load but 10 or so seconds is too long for certain situations. 

• Like 1

As others have said, it’s largely fine on base PS4 other than the load times, which are not excessively long but are antithetical to the nature of the game. 

There’s also occasional rubberbanding which is even worse, however this occurs on all platforms and I can’t say whether it’s any worse on PS4. 

However, performance aside, I myself would strongly advise against playing this on console unless it’s your only option. The core experience - endgame, farming, trading, management - is very primitive when compared to PC. This is due to both missing features (eg lobbies) and the natural limitations of consoles. My friend and I have struggled to wring any value out of what matchmaking is present, rendering the social aspect near non-existent. 

I suppose if you’re only interested in casual play this might not matter much to you, although personally I believe there’s little value in playing this casually and that its true worth lies much deeper. 

From what I read at release, D2:R isn’t an actual remake, but ‘the old game with a fresh lick of paint.’ I can’t tell you what that actually means, but I’d definitely recommend you really try to determine whether or not your PC is capable of running it. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MrFudge said:

As others have said, it’s largely fine on base PS4 other than the load times, which are not excessively long but are antithetical to the nature of the game. 

There’s also occasional rubberbanding which is even worse, however this occurs on all platforms and I can’t say whether it’s any worse on PS4. 

However, performance aside, I myself would strongly advise against playing this on console unless it’s your only option. The core experience - endgame, farming, trading, management - is very primitive when compared to PC. This is due to both missing features (eg lobbies) and the natural limitations of consoles. My friend and I have struggled to wring any value out of what matchmaking is present, rendering the social aspect near non-existent. 

I suppose if you’re only interested in casual play this might not matter much to you, although personally I believe there’s little value in playing this casually and that its true worth lies much deeper. 

From what I read at release, D2:R isn’t an actual remake, but ‘the old game with a fresh lick of paint.’ I can’t tell you what that actually means, but I’d definitely recommend you really try to determine whether or not your PC is capable of running it. 

So basically even the PS5 version is inferior?

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/06/2022 at 2:38 AM, AJ_Radio said:

So basically even the PS5 version is inferior?

Yea. Don’t get me wrong, the basic experience of playing through the story is perfectly intact, and it’s not missing many features. It’s just that the finer details that really make this game worth playing are sorely lacking. And if you’re after a casual experience there are far better games out there imo. 

A PC player can simultaneously farm mobs, perform mapping, select loot, and manage inventory; all with a precision and speed that elevates some fairly simplistic combat into a much more enjoyable and intensive gameplay loop. They can then quit out and load a new instance in an instant. Farming for gear is unbearable on console in my opinion. 

11 hours ago, MrFudge said:

Yea. Don’t get me wrong, the basic experience of playing through the story is perfectly intact, and it’s not missing many features. It’s just that the finer details that really make this game worth playing are sorely lacking. And if you’re after a casual experience there are far better games out there imo. 

A PC player can simultaneously farm mobs, perform mapping, select loot, and manage inventory; all with a precision and speed that elevates some fairly simplistic combat into a much more enjoyable and intensive gameplay loop. They can then quit out and load a new instance in an instant. Farming for gear is unbearable on console in my opinion. 

I can get behind this.  I could see someone being drawn to the PS4/PS5 versions just because how rare the trophies are, especially that insane lv99 hardcore character one.

I haven’t played a Blizzard game besides WoW:Classic in ages - do they have in game achievements?  How about Diablo 2 Resurrected on battle.net? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/06/2022 at 4:23 PM, DrunkenEngineer said:

I haven’t played a Blizzard game besides WoW:Classic in ages - do they have in game achievements?  How about Diablo 2 Resurrected on battle.net? 

Diablo 3 does. Overwatch kinda does. D2:R doesn’t. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ScottyMiddleton said:

I recently put a Samsung EVO 870 SSD into my PS4 Pro, loading times are significantly improved. The same for the division 2. I now do not need a PS5 for a bit longer which is great!

I did the same and performance on ps4 is comparable to pc if you have a SSD in both

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...