mallard ducks on layton lake?

Anybody have trouble finding mallards on Layton Lake?  I finished almost everything for platinum and haven't found a single dropping or duck.  I wasn't looking in the beginning but have now spent half a day circling lakes and find it weird I have never see a dropping considering on the Yukon map I randomly stumble across them all the time.  Starting to think Im experiencing some sort of bug.  

Does anybody know if taking a picture of a duck on Yukon will count for the trophy?

Edited by steel6burgh

On 05/06/2022 at 4:45 PM, steel6burgh said:

Anybody have trouble finding mallards on Layton Lake?  I finished almost everything for platinum and haven't found a single dropping or duck.  I wasn't looking in the beginning but have now spent half a day circling lakes and find it weird I have never see a dropping considering on the Yukon map I randomly stumble across them all the time.  Starting to think Im experiencing some sort of bug.  

Does anybody know if taking a picture of a duck on Yukon will count for the trophy?

Hey, I've seen plenty on Layton, but only ever in the middle of the night. At night on Roonachee lake there was often what seemed like 30+ Mallard. Also the small lake on the very south west side of Cheelah seemed to always have loads at night. Literally just loads chilling in the water in the middle of the mentioned lakes

I never once saw a duck during daylight hours 

You might have sorted this by now but hope this helps

Edited by HedleyNEUK
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, HedleyNEUK said:

Hey, I've seen plenty on Layton, but only ever in the middle of the night. At night on Roonachee lake there was often what seemed like 30+ Mallard. Also the small lake on the very south west side of Cheelah seemed to always have loads at night. Literally just loads chilling in the water in the middle of the mentioned lakes

I never once saw a duck during daylight hours 

You might have sorted this by now but hope this helps

actually i just moved on to the dlc's for a while.  I will try this I was looking early morning.   I appreciate the feedback.  It was kind of weird not ever seeing one after spending so much time on the map so I was worried maybe they took them off the map or a bug.

Edit; so went to the lake you mentioned and found droppings and a need zone so I'm on the right track.  thanks!

Edited by steel6burgh
  • Like 2

On 10/06/2022 at 7:12 PM, steel6burgh said:

actually i just moved on to the dlc's for a while.  I will try this I was looking early morning.   I appreciate the feedback.  It was kind of weird not ever seeing one after spending so much time on the map so I was worried maybe they took them off the map or a bug.

Edit; so went to the lake you mentioned and found droppings and a need zone so I'm on the right track.  thanks!

Any joy?

Im close to Play myself now, so gonna try for the Paparazzi trophy myself tonight. I "think" ive took one of all Layton animals, so just Hirsch to do. Shame it doesnt let you know what its accepted as a photo and what it hasnt. :)

2 hours ago, HedleyNEUK said:

Any joy?

Im close to Play myself now, so gonna try for the Paparazzi trophy myself tonight. I "think" ive took one of all Layton animals, so just Hirsch to do. Shame it doesnt let you know what its accepted as a photo and what it hasnt. :)

yeah i got the duck photo right after I updated this last and the trophy popped.  I was so glad because I never really kept track of what photos I got.  I really thought I needed a few more animals but to my surprise the mallard was the last thing I needed. The lake you mentioned was the spot.  I know it's different for everyone but i looked allover the map and I really hadn't explored that region the much.  I didn't even have the fast travel next to that lake opened up.  I felt like you could be a decent distance away from the animals maybe a little over 50 meters even as long as you have a clear line of sight.  Quite a few of my photos I took running toward the animals as they were fleeing and evidently they counted.  Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steel6burgh said:

yeah i got the duck photo right after I updated this last and the trophy popped.  I was so glad because I never really kept track of what photos I got.  I really thought I needed a few more animals but to my surprise the mallard was the last thing I needed. The lake you mentioned was the spot.  I know it's different for everyone but i looked allover the map and I really hadn't explored that region the much.  I didn't even have the fast travel next to that lake opened up.  I felt like you could be a decent distance away from the animals maybe a little over 50 meters even as long as you have a clear line of sight.  Quite a few of my photos I took running toward the animals as they were fleeing and evidently they counted.  Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Awesome, il report back once i've seen if i can get it to pop later on. I've also got the dreaded heart shot a Gold Red deer with a .270 mission to try and get done

Chased a Mythical level 8 one for nearly 40 mins yesterday before raging out and quitting for the night :D

Edited by HedleyNEUK

18 hours ago, HedleyNEUK said:

Awesome, il report back once i've seen if i can get it to pop later on. I've also got the dreaded heart shot a Gold Red deer with a .270 mission to try and get done

Chased a Mythical level 8 one for nearly 40 mins yesterday before raging out and quitting for the night :D

the trick for these missions is to back of saves to the cloud before you go looking.  If you find one in pretty short order after uploading then he will always be there or in a close proximity to where he was.  That way if you mess up the shot you can try again.  The heart shot is just one of many to come my friend if you plan on doing the dlc.  Shooting the Grizzly bear with a arrow is actually easier than you might think but the Red deer was by far the most challenging one so far.  It feels good when you get it though.  I think the Red Deer needs to be a very hard 7/10 if i'm not mistaken.  Mythical isn't necessary.  On that map a good spot to find big ones is a place called Red Deer hill.  Place a tent there and go looking in the evening after backing up your save.  always pay attention to your track and the time you spotted it and it will usually be close to the same spot.

Edit:  wanted to drop an additional tip always try to carry a tent on you.  when you spot an animal you need to pull off a specific or difficult kill on you can drop a tent, quit to main menu and upload save.  this works best when you find them in a need zone versus traveling of course.  However I have spotted animals and missed shots while they were traveling and was able to download a recent save and try again as in many cases you will find them along the exact same path.

Edited by steel6burgh
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, steel6burgh said:

the trick for these missions is to back of saves to the cloud before you go looking.  If you find one in pretty short order after uploading then he will always be there or in a close proximity to where he was.  That way if you mess up the shot you can try again.  The heart shot is just one of many to come my friend if you plan on doing the dlc.  Shooting the Grizzly bear with a arrow is actually easier than you might think but the Red deer was by far the most challenging one so far.  It feels good when you get it though.  I think the Red Deer needs to be a very hard 7/10 if i'm not mistaken.  Mythical isn't necessary.  On that map a good spot to find big ones is a place called Red Deer hill.  Place a tent there and go looking in the evening after backing up your save.  always pay attention to your track and the time you spotted it and it will usually be close to the same spot.

Edit:  wanted to drop an additional tip always try to carry a tent on you.  when you spot an animal you need to pull off a specific or difficult kill on you can drop a tent, quit to main menu and upload save.  this works best when you find them in a need zone versus traveling of course.  However I have spotted animals and missed shots while they were traveling and was able to download a recent save and try again as in many cases you will find them along the exact same path.

Literally one red deer photo and got Paparazzi :)

Thanks, that seems sound advice, think 6- Hard is enough for gold so the 8- Mythical would have been overkill, but mucked up the shot and hadn't seen your advice at that point. 

I did find a 7- Very hard running around the same area though, so will use your tactic to go for that one. Fingers crossed. TIve also noted a 6 that always drinks at the same spot so have 2 locations i can reload to try

Yeah il be doing all DLC, just need some discounts as the bundle i bought only had 3 DLC locations, so still need a few

Cheers for the advice