What are your top 10 non-PlayStation games?

ZitMeatloaf

So while I spend the majority (or at least a plurality) of my gaming time on PlayStation consoles, I also put some significant time into Nintendo and PC gaming (sorry Xbox, nothing against you but I ran out of both physical space and free gaming time to add you into the mix). This got me thinking about what my favorite non-PlayStation games are, and I thought it might be fun for people to share their lists! I searched the forums a bit and I don’t think this topic exists yet, so here we go.

The rules are simple: Share your top 10 list of games that are not available and have not been announced for any PlayStation console. Some of the games on our lists may become available on PS later, but we won’t worry about that (or you can update your lists later as needed). If you want to share a franchise in place of any specific game from that franchise, I’m cool with that. And if you’ve only got a top 5, top 3, top whatever, that’s cool too.

I’ve decided to limit myself to one game from a franchise or just name the franchise, otherwise my list would be like 40 games long. And my games aren’t ranked, so here they are in no particular order:

1. Ori and the Will of the Wisps – Blind Forest is an outstanding game as well, but Will of the Wisps is truly marvelous. The story and ending had me legit tearing up and emotional, the gameplay is top-notch, and it’s absolutely gorgeous throughout.
  2. Metroid Prime – I’ve loved all the Metroid games I’ve played, but the first Prime game is still my favorite. I remember reading a review at the time (2002) which said, “It’s like someone traveled five years into the future and brought the best game from then back for us to play now.”
  3. Katana Zero – This game seems highly likely to make its way to PS4/PS5 at some point with an ESRB rating spotted, but a previous announcement from Devolver Digital never materialized, and with no new official announcement yet, I’m allowing myself to include it on this list. If you like action platformers, just play this game already. It’s got a banging soundtrack as well.
  4. Kid Icarus – You know how people say games were more difficult back in the day? Yeah, Kid Icarus does its part to make that a true statement. As a kid I was so proud to finish this game on my NES (fuck those eggplant guys, seriously), and when I tried revisiting it recently, I royally sucked ass.
  5. Halo – This is my one franchise entry, although I’ve only played the first 3 games. If the online consensus is to be believed, it sounds like I’ve played the 3 best Halo games already.
  6. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – It’s the best open world game I’ve ever played, and it deserves all the praise it’s received. I don’t even mind the weapon durability that so many people complain about.
  7. Peasant’s Quest – No I’m not kidding including this web-based flash game on my list, because it’s awesome. It’s a King’s Quest homage style game and a spinoff of the Homestar Runner universe. Admittedly if you’re not familiar with the jokes from Homestar Runner, then you’ll miss out on a lot of the humor in this game, but it’s still hilarious. A version of the game still exists here, but with a disclaimer on the title page that the game is broken. Bummer, but the page also has a 2022 copyright and says they’re working to fix it, so fingers crossed.
  8. Blast Corps – This game is the most underrated hidden gem from the N64. Basically, you get to destroy a bunch of buildings and shipping containers and stuff in a wide variety of methods, and it’s a blast (eh, EH?! See what I did there?). If you have an Xbox and access to Rare Replay, please play this game.
  9. Super Mario 64 – I’m listing this game as my Mario entry because of how groundbreaking it was at the time. Yes, there were other 3D games on the PS1, but none of them felt anything like this. Mario 64 was THE definitive introduction to (good) 3D gaming. And while the Galaxy games, 3D World, Odyssey, and even Sunshine are all objectively “better” games, Super Mario 64 gave me the biggest wow factor moment of my gaming career. Like “Wow, this is what games are like now?” Somebody playing Super Mario 64 for the very first time now would probably think it’s a pretty good but dated game; for those of us who experienced it back in 1996, it was completely mind blowing.
  10. Super Ghouls ‘n Ghosts – Another tough-as-nails old school game, I played this one to death. I got gud through pure repetition and had every secret in the game memorized. I probably played through this game more than 50 times as it was one of my very first SNES games.

I'd love to see other people’s lists! What are your favorite non-PlayStation games?

Edited by ZitMeatloaf
  • Like 3

I'm also going to keep it one game per series as, otherwise, I'd have too many Mario, LoZ, and Fire Emblem games in here.

1. Fire Emblem Awakening - This is definitely a top 3 game for me, all time. There are so many different relationships and stories to experience that makes the game have a ton of replayability. On top of that, you can have children from the future come to the past (like Lucina) to join your squad. It makes for a fun time testing out different combos and to me, will always be the perfect strategy game.

2. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - it was hard to choose whether this or BoTW  to represent the franchise at #2, but I'll give the oldie some respect. It truly was the first 3D adventure game I played as a kid where you could literally go almost anywhere and explore the world. I remember getting lost in the forest as a kid and just listening to the music for a long time, haha. The music, adventure, dungeon, puzzles, and action still put a smile on my face thinking about it.

3. Super Smash Bros. Brawl - I really enjoy all of the games in the series, but brawl always had a special place in my heart as I would always invite friends over, have tournaments, and play the adventure mode together. Ultimate is great, but we just don't have the time like we used to and have friends over every weekend to play. It really was a special time.

4. Mario Kart Wii - As you can guess, when we weren't playing Smash bros, it was Mario Kart Wii. Always had a good time with this one... Especially since I won a lot. :P

5. Paper Mario 64 - This may be the game that got me into strategy games and tinkering with different sets to do something crazy and fun. I feel like Paper Mario brought out my inner tactician and allowed me to really dive into any RPG and play around until I find something that is either insanely broken or insanely fun and creative.

6. Super Mario 64 - This game was so revolutionary for it's time and even back then, I never fully appreciated what we had with it. Playing it today still is ridiculously fun. It's just one of those games I wish everyone would experience. Especially back in the day just to understand how crazy this game was for its time.

7. Xenoblade Chronicles - I finished this game a few months ago and I'm still not sure where I would place it, but it belongs in this top 10 somewhere. The story is legit out of this world. It has love, romance, vengeance plot, betrayals, plot twists that will turn your head around... It has it all, and it's incredible. The way the story is written it pretty much spoon feeds you hints on what's going on, and it all comes slowly together for a satisfying conclusion.  The characters all get their own individual arc to shine and the open world is just so beautiful. I'm also a huge video game music nerd and this has some of the best out there. I was absolutely blown away by this game and am incredibly hyped for the 3rd one.

8. Shin Megami Tensei V - For those who think turn-based strategy games are a thing of the past or are obsolete and outdated should play this game. It's like a hard version of Pokemon where you really have to play two steps ahead or in some cases, gamble in it all to come out on top. The game forces you to constantly adjust your strategy to where something that worked in the first half of the game will get stomped on in the second half. It was really fun learning it all and adjusting on the fly.

9. Pokemon Alpha Sapphire - This was the last one that allowed you to catch them all in a single game and it was really satisfying to go the extra mile to do it and get the shiny charm. I did it on Sword as well, but I just didn't feel the same gratification catching all 400 as I did catching all 700 in AS. We may never see another Pokemon game with all of them in it, but I will always cherish the experience of doing it once!

10. Star Fox 64 - 10 was super hard to choose for me. The other 9 came naturally, but 10 took a bit more thinking so I feel like this could change at any time between this, Super Metroid, Kirby 64, 007 Goldeneye (OG), Snowboard Kids 2, or something that I just can't recall right now, but for now, I'll give in to nostalgia and give it to the best rail shooter ever... Star Fox 64. 

• Like 2

Mine are mostly older games. Mine are in no particular order, and I'll avoid using more than one game in the same series, unless they're drastically different.

Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask - The time managing mechanic in the game is so good, it creates a sense of urgency with everything and creates a world that really feels alive. It's really sad that other games haven't really explored the concept. The only other ones I can think that are somewhat similar are Lightning Returns and Radiata Stories, both of which I also really enjoyed.

Sailor Moon Another Story - I am 100% serious. This is such a great SNES RPG. It's easily among my top 3 on the console.

Evolution: The World of Sacred Device - A turn based RPG on the Dreamcast. It's the game that really got me into RPGs, and the first turn based RPG I got into. What's really funny, is that I bought it without knowing it was turn based. If I had known, I would have passed on it, because I was still pretty young and thought turn based games were dumb. But when I got my Dreamcast I was able to get two games, one was Sonic Adventure, and I got this as the other one. I think it was just because I liked the box art lol. I was annoyed at first when I got it home, and played through all of Sonic Adventure before touching it. But eventually I didn't have anything else to play, so I forced myself to play it, and of course I ended up loving it. If I hadn't discovered my love of turn based games with Evolution, I never would have played games like Persona 3 and Final Fantasy X later on, which heavily influenced me growing up.

Jet Set Radio Future - An original Xbox game and one of my favorite games of all time. One that's never gotten a rerelease for whatever reason. What's sadder, is that while it was technically backwards compatible on the 360, it didn't work very well. It had severe framerate issues that made it largely unplayable. So the only way to really play it to this day is with an original Xbox.

Legend of Zelda The Minish Cap - Since 2D and 3D Zelda games are vastly different, I'm including The Minish Cap as my 2D pick. It's just the Zelda formula perfected.

Bayonetta 2 - I bought a Wii U for this game. The first time I played it, I thought it was a bit of a letdown. After some time though, I came around and really enjoy it. I still don't think it's as good as the first one, but it's a fantastic game.

Phantasy Star Online Ep I & II - Words can't describe how much I love this game.

Ragnarok Online - This was the first game I got way too into. Like, avoiding my responsibilities so I could play it kind of into. I spent thousands of hours playing it over the course of many years, and I still get the urge to play it from time to time. I've never been able to find another game that feels the same to play.

Fable III - I know this is a hot take, but this was my favorite game in the series. The story wasn't great, but I thought everything else about it was better executed than the previous games. Just thinking about it makes me want to replay it again.

Dead or Alive 2 Ultimate - This is the game that made me really fall in love with the DOA series, and I still consider it the pinnacle of the series. It had so much to do and playing through the game to unlock all the different costumes for characters was so much fun. I never knew what was going to pop up and the game itself just felt good to play. It makes me really sad that there will never be a game like this again. Since now you might be able to unlock one or two costumes maybe, but otherwise you just have to buy them. There's no excitement when playing through the various modes anymore.

This ended up being a lot harder than I expected. I didn't realize just how many games from older consoles got ported to various PS consoles.

• Like 3

This will probably be only Mario and Zelda's, since the Ps library has received a lot. 

Maybe I should make a forgotten game list instead of best games but here we go.

1- Super Mario Odyssey

2-The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

3-Donkey Kong Country

4-Donkey Kong Country 2

5-Super Mario 64

6- The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild

7-Super Mario World

8-Top Gear (Snes)

9-Super Mario RPG

10-Crazy Táxi (original w/ Offspring soundtrack)

• Like 2

1. World Of Warcraft (up to The Burning Crusade)

2. Soul Calibur

3. Halo 3

4. WWF No Mercy

5. Lost Odyssey

6. Fable 2

7. Super Mario Sunshine

8. Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4

9. Super Smash Bros: Melee

10. F-Zero X

Honorable mentions : Shadowrun, Jet Set Radio Future, Dragonball Z: The Legacy of Goku 2. 

Edited by Glorious Fury
  • Like 3

1. Super Mario World (SNES)
  2. Chronotrigger (SNES)
  3. Device 6 (iOS)
  4. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
  5. Earthbound (SNES)
  6. Wii Sports (Wii)
  7. Frog Fractions (PC / Mac)
  8. Illusion of Gaia (SNES)
  9. Mario Paint (SNES)
  10. Monument Valley (iOS)

Honourable Mentions:

Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery (iOS)

Mario Maker (WiiU)

Two Dots (iOS)

Threes (iOS)

Metal Gear (MSX)

Populous (Amiga)

Desert Golfing (iOS)

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:
  1. Super Mario World (SNES)
  2. Chronotrigger (SNES)
  3. Device 6 (iOS)
  4. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
  5. Earthbound (SNES)
  6. Wii Sports (Wii)
  7. Frog Fractions (PC / Mac)
  8. Illusion of Gaia (SNES)
  9. Mario Paint (SNES)
  10. Monument Valley (iOS)

Honourable Mentions:

Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery (iOS)

Mario Maker (WiiU)

Two Dots (iOS)

Threes (iOS)

Metal Gear (MSX)

Populous (Amiga)

Desert Golfing (iOS)

Oooooh, great mention of Monument Valley! I played that on my Kindle, definitely the best tablet game I've ever played.

I thought of Chrono Trigger, but I think it was released on PS1 as part of a Final Fantasy collection?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

Oooooh, great mention of Monument Valley! I played that on my Kindle, definitely the best tablet game I've ever played.

I thought of Chrono Trigger, but I think it was released on PS1 as part of a Final Fantasy collection?

Ah.... possibly - It's definitely been around the console houses - I had a copy on DSi, which I think is my only console copy beyond the SNES, but it may have made it to PS1 at some point and I just missed it!

2 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Ah.... possibly - It's definitely been around the console houses - I had a copy on DSi, which I think is my only console copy beyond the SNES, but it may have made it to PS1 at some point and I just missed it!

Yeah now I remember seeing this in the stores back at the time of release, but I never bought it for whatever reason. Probably due to having a very limited budget ?.

Ffcbox.jpg

• Like 1

Top 5 in no particular order

1) Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 - The best of the original games. I likely dropped hundreds of hours into it, to finish every scenario and all the custom ones I also downloaded from the community. 

2) StarCraft 2 - Still think it's one of the best RTS PvP games ever made. The editor helped people create custom games that are the spiritual grandfathers of a lot of games we see today.

3) Sim City - Probably the one game that got me hooked on the long form strategy and simulator genres. 

4) Ogre Battle 64 - Squad based RTS in a medieval era of swords and magic. The sheer amount of customization and hidden content put it miles ahead of anything else in that era (and still puts a lot of modern games to shame). Also took perma death and made it's own mechanic out of it, rare to see a game actually innovate something I haven't seen before. 

5) X-COM: Terror from the Deep - Hands down the best and hardest turn based game I've ever played. It's definitely the standard I hold other games to in the genre. 

• Like 4

1. Okami
2. Pokemon Black 2/White 2(Heart Gold/Soul Silver is tied with this)
3. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Gates to Infinity(Also tied with Explorers)
4. Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess(Tied with Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker are also pretty close to these two)
5. Fall Guys Ultimate Knockout
6. Super Mario Galaxy
7. Metroid Prime
8.  Legend of Spyro Trilogy
9. Final Fantasy 13
10. Killer7

Normally I would include God of War 3 within this list but Sony game.
 And even though Pokemon Go is one of my most played games I still wouldn't include it within my top 10 list or probably even my top 100
Top 200 maybe.
didn't really list any Xbox titles probably would pick either Phantom Dust, Gears of War, or Halo.

• Like 2

This is tough because Playstation has been my main platform for so long.

1. Super Mario Land

2. Roller Coaster Tycoon 2

3. Cosmo’s Cosmic Adventure: Forbidden Planet

4. Mario Kart 64

5. Duke Nukem

6. Pokémon Blue

7. Prince of Persia (1989)

8. The Incredible Machine

9. Mario Kart Super Circuit

10. Quantum Break

• Like 4

On 06/06/2022 at 0:25 AM, Glorious Fury said:

1. World Of Warcraft (up to The Burning Crusade)

2. Soul Calibur

3. Halo 3

4. WWF No Mercy

5. Lost Odyssey

6. Fable 2

7. Super Mario Sunshine

8. Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4

9. Super Smash Bros: Melee

10. F-Zero X

Honorable mentions : Shadowrun, Jet Set Radio Future, Dragonball Z: The Legacy of Goku 2. 

I totally forgot the first Soul Calibur was a DreamCast exclusive, it's weird cause Playstation started with Soul Edge and all subsequent Soul Caliburs. It should be on my list, oh well, I need a 2nd post with more games lol .

5 hours ago, Feral said:

This is tough because Playstation has been my main platform for so long.

1. Super Mario Land

2. Roller Coaster Tycoon 2

3. Cosmo’s Cosmic Adventure: Forbidden Planet

4. Mario Kart 64

5. Duke Nukem

6. Pokémon Blue

7. Prince of Persia (1989)

8. The Incredible Machine

9. Mario Kart Super Circuit

10. Quantum Break

Bro. The Incredible Machine.

A Man of history and culture. ✊

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, CobraMJD said:

Bro. The Incredible Machine.

A Man of history and culture. 270a.png

Ha ha ha, cheers mate ? You’re clearly a cut above since you appreciate that classic.

But yeah that game was the shit in my primary school. We all wanted it to rain every day so we could stay in the classroom and play it. 

• Like 1

In no particular order:

Halo 3

Mario Kart 8

Bayonetta 2

FTL: Faster Than Light

Pokemon Gold

Luigi's Mansion 3

Gears of War

Killing Floor

Yoshi's Island

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Edited by Cannibal_Wombat
Because I'm a moron - Onimusha 2 & 3 are obviously PS2 games
  • Like 2

There are hundreds to be honest, I will always go back to play at least once a year

Shenmue 1 and 2 but on Dreamcast

Fable 2 Xbox 360

Mario 64 N64

Devil Summoner Sega Saturn - I think it's on PSP in jp?

Mario RPG SFC

Eternal Darkness Gamecube

Skies of Arcadia Dreamcast

Cursed Mountain Wii

Jade Empire OG Xbox

Zelda Majoras mask N64

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

There are hundreds to be honest, I will always go back to play at least once a year

Fable 2 Xbox 360

Mario 64 N64

Devil Summoner Sega Saturn - I think it's on PSP in jp?

Mario RPG SFC

Eternal Darkness Gamecube

Skies of Arcadia Dreamcast

Cursed Mountain Wii

Jade Empire OG Xbox

Zelda Majoras mask N64

I still need to play Majora's Mask, that one feels like a significant hole in my gaming resume. I have the Gamecube version and a Wii, so no excuse not to play it!

14 hours ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

I still need to play Majora's Mask, that one feels like a significant hole in my gaming resume. I have the Gamecube version and a Wii, so no excuse not to play it!

Oh the Gamecube version I think is the best version of them all, I also have it. I think it came with Twighlight Princess but in limited numbers.

• Like 1

On 06/06/2022 at 4:00 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Honourable Mentions:

Metal Gear (MSX)

This game and the sequel are inclunded in the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection for PS3, great game! Very different from the NES.

On 06/06/2022 at 5:16 AM, Baranov_925 said:

Half Life I and II, 

I have Half Life for PS2. :)

On 06/06/2022 at 5:33 PM, Nightstream88 said:

1. Okami

5. Fall Guys Ultimate Knockout
8.  Legend of Spyro Trilogy
9. Final Fantasy 13

Normally I would include God of War 3 within this list but Sony game.

These are PS games, you got confused with 1st parties.

On 06/06/2022 at 8:43 PM, DaisyVilla102 said:
  2. Prey (2006) (Xbox 360/PC)

Prey was released for PS4, is it a diferent game?

On 07/06/2022 at 0:57 AM, EverythingOnFire said:

No particular order.

Prey (2006)

Call of Juarez

There is Call of Juarez on PS3.

On 09/06/2022 at 3:36 AM, Z1MZUM said:

I have both of them on PS4 :) 

26 minutes ago, CobraMJD said:

This game and the sequel are inclunded in the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection for PS3, great game! Very different from the NES.

? I’m terrible at this game!

that’s two different ones I didn’t know were on Sony consoles! :facepalm: 

• Like 1