Possibly worst racing game designs chooses I've ever met

For now, I've made into 50% of World Tour and what really makes me think, that for some reason developers decided to make game "unfun" as possible at some aspects. It sure looks great, even UI design is cool with all retro racing style to it, but...man, why in the hell they designed game so badly?

AI:

- Faster you go as race began, faster enemies will be at race end. Means, sometimes it's almost impossible to win if you went full gas at beginning.

- What is the point of enemies trying to block you preventing from overtake? (Risking their own speed to it) Imagine you driving full speed on line 4 and see blue coins YOU MUST collect and there is AI asshole who drives 0,5 slower than you blocking your way. You have no other choose to hit him and lose precious seconds.

- Sometimes, worse car than yours can overtake you WITHOUT turbo, even if you go full speed.

- 19 cars on the smallest road in the world. It doesn't even feels like racing game, more like leaving town on full speed during zombie apocalypse.

Game color scheme choose and effect:

- Remember OutRun? It's always has contrast between upper half of screen and lower, even in night zones. Here, in Horizon, sometimes all you can see it's giant purple stain that doesn't go away and it really hurts your my eyes - road and sky in same color (in dark tones), this what nobody wants. Don't get me started about winter zones, good look trying to see something through 5% of screen you have.

Don't get me wrong, game is not that bad really, it just those unnecessary game design chooses I really don't appreciate. Any thoughts?

Edited by PostalDudeRus
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's supposed to be just like the "Top Gear" games on the SNES (Really popular game back in the day here in Brazil)

Basically all of those issues were in those games as well. They basically just made a new one.

Edited by DesmaBR
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that AI is unfair, there were times when I realized that I was the only one competing, the rest of the cars were just preventing me from winning, to this day no racing game has ever made me feel that way, not even the original Top Gear.

And speaking of preventing me from winning, the most unfair part that pissed me off is the opponents knowing exactly where I am behind them since I have no way of knowing where they are while I'm in front, sometimes even making impossible moves on wide lanes, coming out of the opposite extreme of where I am in an "elastic" movement that I would never be able to do naturally just to stop me from passing.

Sorry but I'm really pissed off at this game LOL

Edited by Laydramir
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

I think the trophy guide explains how to circumvent this issue. If you have a second controller connect it and use player 2 (playing as a guest on your console), for some reason the AI is mostly bound to player one, so if player 1 is connected but does not do anything, races become much easier to win. 

I honestly do not think I would have the platinum for this game if not for this trick, it really makes your life easier. 

PS: as a bonus, this technique allows player one to also be in the way of other enemy AI and block their progression because they will hit them on their way. Just be careful not to hit player one yourself.

• 1 month later...

Some of these tracks aren't made to go fast even. There are way too many right turns that are too tight to even turn even if you slow down which screws you over. The rain, nighttime, and snow levels are the worst because you can't see what's ahead even with a map. Don't get me started on the tournaments which broke my soul on multiple occasions. This isn't even a racing game, it's more like an on rails rollercoaster that not only disguises itself as a racing game, but makes you feel like you're about to have a seizure. The sequel is planned to come to consoles and I’d rather it stay on the app store where it belongs.