Is the "Commander Lilith & the Fight for Sanctuary" DLC worth 15 bucks?

its_ArchroniX

I know it used to be free for a limited time when Borderlands 3 released but has now been 15 euros ever since. It NEVER goes on sale. I was too late claiming it for free so there's that....

I got the handsome collection for free with PS plus a long time ago and I really want to start and eventually 100% the game but I'm really not sure about buying the DLC or not since I think 15 euros for a single piece of DLC is quite high considering there's some (indie) games that cost less and would take longer to complete. And according to this website the DLC can easily be completed in around 7 hours which is arguably not a very long time.

Is the DLC worth the money? And how is the DLC compared to the rest of the DLC's and the base game?

The DLC is quite short, has some mini-bosses and the typical giant raid boss. It was just a cash grab by Gearbox as an interim to get players interested in BL3. Not worth the money, but if you are a completionist i guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

Edited by AnOrdinaryBloke

Personally, I think it's worth every penny and whilst the story isn't as good as Dragon Keep or the main game, it's still stacks up to the likes of Campaign of Carnage, Digistruct Peak and Son of Crawmerax as a decent DLC :). If you go for the in-game 100%, then you will be kept busy for dozens of hours once you have all the trophies :)

48 minutes ago, AnOrdinaryBloke said:

The DLC is quite short, has some mini-bosses and the typical giant raid boss. It was just a cash grab by Gearbox as an interim to get players interested in BL3. Not worth the money, but if you are a completionist i guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

How can something initially given for free, be a cash grab?

When this dropped it had me really excited for 3 because I thought they were making a real effort to bridge the stories together and it suggested a level of care went into the plot of 3. Unfortunately though, the story of 3 was absolute garbage and it pretty much put me off the series for life.

Still though, this DLC was free and it was really good for what it was. I don't think it's worth 15 dollars though.

Just now, jonesey46 said:

How can something initially given for free, be a cash grab?

I think @AnOrdinaryBloke meant that it was free once and now you have to pay for it which in fact is actually is sort of a cashgrab. Not in the initial sense though.

People that want to play and possibly get 100% completion for Borderlands 2 now have to pay 15 euros for that piece of content that other people got for free. Why didn't they just leave it for free?

Just now, its_ArchroniX said:

I think @AnOrdinaryBloke meant that it was free once and now you have to pay for it which in fact is actually is sort of a cashgrab. Not in the initial sense though.

People that want to play and possibly get 100% completion for Borderlands 2 now have to pay 15 euros for that piece of content that other people got for free. Why didn't they just leave it for free?

Making it free for any period of time is a generosity not often shown by game publishers. I think it's a hard push to call something that was once free a cash grab.

Keep in mind, publishers do not think of trophy hunters when deciding anything regarding their games. They made it free for the fans that were looking forward to Borderlands 3 and to also incentivise sales for Borderlands 3. Once the dust settled on Borderlands 3 there was no reason for them to keep it free and decided to recoup some development costs back. It's a business decision pure and simple.

I know it's frustrating that you missed out, but that's life right?

• Like 3

On 8-6-2022 at 11:34 AM, jonesey46 said:

Making it free for any period of time is a generosity not often shown by game publishers. I think it's a hard push to call something that was once free a cash grab.

Keep in mind, publishers do not think of trophy hunters when deciding anything regarding their games. They made it free for the fans that were looking forward to Borderlands 3 and to also incentivise sales for Borderlands 3. Once the dust settled on Borderlands 3 there was no reason for them to keep it free and decided to recoup some development costs back. It's a business decision pure and simple.

I know it's frustrating that you missed out, but that's life right?

Remember when Destiny 2 released and people paid 60 bucks for it (at release) and then they released a lot of expensive DLC and people paid for that too only to make the game + all of that DLC free to play after a while screwing over the day 1 players big time? Some people (including me) paid over 100 bucks for Destiny 2 + all of its DLC. Imagine doing that and the developers suddenly decide their game is going to be free to play and you aren't getting anything in return.

Well this is kind of the same only then the other way around. First they lure people into buying their game and give them a free DLC to get people hyped up for BL3 only to take it away a few months afterwards thus punishing people that want to play/ buy BL2 later and having to pay 15 bucks for one piece of DLC. Is that fair? Not really. They could've just kept it free forever or just ask 15 bucks for it when it released instead. But this weird way of giving it for free and then deciding to ask money for it doesn't really strike as "generous" to me. More like "greedy". 

I agree that developers don't care about trophy hunting but taking that aside this is a scummy move altogether. Trophies or not, it's not okay to just hand out free stuff and ask money for it a moment afterwards and be like 'Well you're too late claiming it for free, now you gotta pay'. Doesn't make any sense whatsoever in my honest opinion. Especially when it's a DLC that was used a a promotion for the next upcoming game. That game is still out there and you're now charging people 15 bucks to be able to play that 'promotion DLC' for the previous instalment instead of just giving it for free and perhaps boosting your sale for BL3? Okay......

Edited by its_ArchroniX