(Change.org petition) SONY must re-open online servers for 1st party games on PS3

iman_generous

2 minutes ago, Pirelli913 said:

Not to mention that if you really cared about your trophy completion, you would've completed it when PS3 was actually relevant.

What about the people who want to go back to their favorite franchises they played as a kid?

• Like 2

The better thing to petition for (IMO) is for Sony to implement a policy requiring all predominantly single-player games for PS4/PS5 to be patched when online servers go down so that the trophies can be achieved (with similar requirements) in single-player. I doubt it’d ever go anywhere, but it’s something they theoretically could do if there was enough demand. 

Sony & the devs aren’t going to and likely even can’t in most cases, patch PS3/Vita games anymore. Not even first-party ones. 

Edited by TimeLordCrow13y
  • Like 1

Oh shit just wait till atari gets my letter about how they MUST  support the 2600 as I own one.

19 minutes ago, Tempestad_cl said:

With PS+ plus being mandatory to play online I would have expected for Sony to keep game servers always online, no?

Ps plus wasn't mandatory to play ps3 online

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Freaker2012 said:

What about the people who want to go back to their favorite franchises they played as a kid?

This is my situation. I could care less about the trophies in MAG since I got them all already, but I would love to play my favorite game all time again after 8+ long years. Some PS3 games with shutdown servers though like Motorstorm, Killzone 2, SOCOM Confrontation, and Warhawk are able to be played online using PSONE. 

57 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Remember when Borderlands 1 for PS3 was down for years and then the servers brought back by Gearbox, and I think to this day they are still up? Well Gearbox did that, not Sony because they were releasing more Borderlands and had an interest in resurrecting the old servers, for profit. Not because about 20 people signed a petition on the Internet (and presumably the people signing, they simply want to get unmissable online trophies and then never play those games again, not because of any love for game preservation)

The BL1 servers were down for roughly a year and a half if memory serves, before they were brought back but I don't know if they're dedicated or P2P. Also, the Plat was still obtainable in that time, because someone figured out how to get Xlink Kai to work with the game and fool it into thinking the servers were still up so you could get the sole online trophy done :).

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Ultraxian said:

Oh shit just wait till atari gets my letter about how they MUST  support the 2600 as I own one.

Ps plus wasn't mandatory to play ps3 online

But you needed an online pass, tho not for all games. For people who buy/bought used games that is/was another 10€/$ per game.

I've seen countless petitions like this over the years and they have never gotten anywhere. The simple facts are that the seventh generation of consoles is coming up on being 20 years old - the PS3 is now older than the SNES was when the PS3 launched. The vast majority of players have moved on to at least the eighth generation, if not the ninth. Companies are in the business of making money and they won't spend it keeping servers alive for games with ghost town multiplayers and they're essentially making little to nothing on games being sold on the PS3 store. Sony have stopped allowing new patches to be released for PS3 games long ago. Their main concern with the PS3 now is trying to make sure it doesn't become a security headache.

Most of the aforementioned petitions are motivated by players looking to earn trophies and to that end, my advice to anyone looking to start or clean up PS3 trophies in 2022 is to focus on single player and cut your losses when it comes to multiplayer. In reality, we've had a long time to get those done and for most games, it's passed us by. I know some might argue they didn't get into the PS3 until recently but they can't keep servers up forever for late adopters, as there will always be people buying consoles long after they've stopped being produced. Unfortunately, it's just the way of things.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cloud_SOLDAT said:

But you needed an online pass, tho not for all games. For people who buy/bought used games that is/was another 10€/$ per game.

Wasnt that mainly developers move against second hand market and not Sony's? 

Also many (if not all) ditched that model later and changed online pass free if I remember it right.