Is there a better visual experience on the PS5?

xmera_core

With the latest graphics upgrade, I believe Horizon Forbidden West is the most aesthetically pleasing game I've encountered. I'm not even sure I can name a close second. But that's just my opinion, and I haven't played all the games.

Ignoring story, challenge, interface, etc... What's a prettier game?

• Like 2

I think I must have the wrong settings as even with the latest patch I have an insane amount of pop-in, fog/haze masking limited draw distance and textures/models looking really inconsistent. I don’t think I could tell you if I was playing HFW or HZD (with the PS5 patch) half the time but that’s perhaps more of a compliment to the PS5 patch for the first game than a criticism of the second...

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart however did really impress me. Visually that game is a generational leap.

Demon’s Souls looks equally fantastic but as so much of that game’s design is rooted in 2009 it’s hard to hold it up as a technological marvel.

Gran Turismo 7 I’d say beats HFW too thanks to a lot of really impressive stuff like skies, lighting and car models but it’s still let down slightly by ground textures and camera positioning/effects when compared to recent Forza Horizon games.

Edited by Tsundokuist
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Infected Elite said:

there was a graphics upgrade? i already got plat on ps5. Still need to start ps4 but the graphics def don't look as good on ps4 version even if playing on a ps5

Yes, they fixed the performance mode "shimmer" problem and it looks ?? 

• Like 1

there was no "graphics upgrade", the game looks the best in the 4k native mode, by far, performance mode is not even close, it always looked the best it can look since day one

as for the question of "if there is a better visual experiente on PS5", in terms of raw numbers and facts on paper, yes, there is, it's called "The Matrix Awakens An Unreal Engine 5 Experience"

Edited by The Investigator

I still think Ratchet and Clank is the most visually impressive PS5 game still by a good margin.

It's the only PS5 game I played that noticeably separates itself from the PS4 and truly feels like a next generation game. The PS4 would never be able to pull that game off. 

All the other PS5 games just look and feel the same as most late PS4 titles. I wouldn't say Horizon 2 on the PS5 looks any better than Last of Us 2 does or Red Dead 2 on the PS4. There's not much there that really separates the generations yet and as long as they continue to keep making PS4 versions of these new games, I don't think we will see much separation. Eventually they will have to abandon the PS4, hopefully it happens soon, and then we'll really start to see some impressive, eye-opening games on PS5 when developers can focus entirely on the new hardware and push it to its limits. 

• Like 1

I still have games like Ratchet & Clank sitting on my shelf, but of the PS5 games I have played, HFW is definitely up there with the prettiest. For a large open world game it's even more impressive because there is so much going on within its world all the time. I have seen some people claim it's the best looking game they have ever seen, but I wouldn't go that far. It isn't perfect but it's a damn good looking game nonetheless.

People mentioning certain PS4 games that look nearly as good as HFW and other PS5 games, I think that's more a testament to the first-party PlayStation studios and the absolute wizardry they manage to achieve on a consistent basis. Once these same studios start getting to work on PS5 only titles I think you will see a stark difference in visual quality. Like can you imagine what Naughty Dog's next original game is going to look like? ?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/06/2022 at 2:00 PM, mega-tallica said:

All the other PS5 games just look and feel the same as most late PS4 titles. I wouldn't say Horizon 2 on the PS5 looks any better than Last of Us 2 does or Red Dead 2 on the PS4. There's not much there that really separates the generations yet and as long as they continue to keep making PS4 versions of these new games, I don't think we will see much separation. Eventually they will have to abandon the PS4, hopefully it happens soon, and then we'll really start to see some impressive, eye-opening games on PS5 when developers can focus entirely on the new hardware and push it to its limits. 

I think most games scale pretty well.  Like Red Dead 2 could be played on a PS4 all the way through to a high powered PC on maxed out settings.  I'm not sure there are really any games that won't work on a PS4 if the visuals are scaled down to low/medium (thinking PC).  The thing that I think makes the difference is how the ssd can work and stream in data, which wouldn't be about just scaling better visual settings, but have more gameplay impacts or new experiences.