Assist mode incoming platinum gonna be more achievable

Leo-Luster-Pow

12 minutes ago, SkippiesBar said:

Very sloppy use of statistics.  

447,300 / 106,000,000 is not 0.004% but closer to 0.04% which is a big difference.

Using population-wide overall disability % doesn’t make sense in this context given the different types of disabilities. A walking impairment, for example, would not necessarily impact one’s ability to enjoy difficult games.

Moreover, it would make more sense to compare % of disabled gamers among the 106,000,000 PSN members if you are to compare it to trophy website members out of the same 106,000,000 population.

You might come to the same conclusion in the end, but the 2,500 - 6,500 more disabled to people enjoying difficult trophy lists is a huge exaggeration. 

Yes, my maths was wrong - it was the end of a long day....

...I'm surprised you're the first to point it out! ?

(I've fixed the original post)

It's more like 0.4% of Sony clientele actually (I forgot to factor it back to a percentage!) - but my overall point stands, regardless.

0.4% is still a statistically insignificant demographic as compared to 10-26%.

The 10%-26% is of world population, there aren't statistics on gamers specifically, however, if that percentage is lower, that only shows that the gaming industry hadsn't yet done enough to cater for those people, and have been excluding them up to now.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Yes, my maths was wrong - it was the end of a long day....

...I'm surprised you're the first to point it out! 1f602.png

(I've fixed the original post)

It's more like 0.4% of Sony clientele actually (I forgot to factor it back to a percentage!) - but my overall point stands, regardless.

0.4% is still a statistically insignificant demographic as compared to 10-26%.

The 10%-26% is of world population, there aren't statistics on gamers specifically, however, if that percentage is lower, that only shows that the gaming industry hadsn't yet done enough to cater for those people, and have been excluding them up to now.

0.4% indeed I was equally sloppy in my math.

I would say among the 10-26% there would be a huge overrepresentation of people 65+ who wouldn’t currently be a target market for gaming. So I think that statistic is irrelevant in this context. 

in the end, I don’t think the assist mode necessarily is a financial decision to target disabled, but rather a “hit two birds with one stone” virtue signal way to implement an easy mode to those who don’t want to be challenged and at the same time show “inclusiveness” which is a hot topic right now. Yes, I am a bit cynical. 

Also, since this was receiving a lot of good press in The Last of Us 2 (I believe they were first to really push for these types of options), other developers will follow suit.

From a business standpoint, it does seem like easy trophy lists are a better financial decision than difficult one given all recent Sony games and the trend overall. This trend is obviously based on data that developers have on easy vs hard games to complete. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SkippiesBar said:

0.4% indeed I was equally sloppy in my math.

I would say among the 10-26% there would be a huge overrepresentation of people 65+ who wouldn’t currently be a target market for gaming. So I think that statistic is irrelevant in this context. 

That's true... though it won't be for long!

A lot of the folks who started on the Atari and Commodore are in their mid fifties, approaching their sixties now... and the biggest generation ever is currently retiring, so in that context, it's not ridiculous for devs to be considering accessibility form a purely financial point of view.

The fact that it's also the right thing to do is probably more of a welcome coincidence for most, but that still doesn't make it wrong... :dunno:

in the end, I don’t think the assist mode necessarily is a financial decision to target disabled, but rather a “hit two birds with one stone” virtue signal way to implement an easy mode to those who don’t want to be challenged and at the same time show “inclusiveness” which is a hot topic right now. Yes, I am a bit cynical. 

Business is cynical - yes - but raw financial interest doesn't necessarily mean every result is a negative...

...sometimes doing the right thing is also the commercially prudent thing, and I don't think we should be castigating these devs for good results, even if the intention may have a cynical aside.

Also, since this was receiving a lot of good press in The Last of Us 2 (I believe they were first to really push for these types of options), other developers will follow suit.

From a business standpoint, it does seem like easy trophy lists are a better financial decision than difficult one given all recent Sony games and the trend overall. This trend is obviously based on data that developers have on easy vs hard games to complete. 

I don't know - there's a lot of pretty tough games that still sell gangbusters...

...I'm no epic gamer, but I'd argue that stuff like FROM games, Capcom games, Housemarque games etc. are all pretty tough, and sell very well.

I think the view on it gets skewed a bit when you use a site like this one, because it can feel like the complete dross trophy-delivery-software stuff (Jumping Taco / Breakthrough etc.) sells huge - but it doesn't really. It just sells well to this particular minuscule segment of the market. 

A reasonable percentage of that 0.4%

Not everyone on this site plays Breakthrough games, but nearly everyone who does plays Breakthrough games is on this site, so the sense of their popularity gets skewed a bit on here.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, visighost said:

Why are there accessibility options? This, this is why.

That is moving and I am happy for folks who can fully enjoy more games like TLoU2 with accessibility options.

But what does lowering damage from enemies, increasing your health or lowering enemies health have to do with that. You can still have a decent challenge in a game and support disabled people. Tweaking with that should at least disable trophies.

Edited by Mori
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Mori said:

But what does lowering damage from enemies, increasing your health or lowering enemies health have to do with that. You can still have a decent challenge in a game and support disabled people. Tweaking with that should at least disable trophies.

Most people don't typically complain you can get all trophies from a game on any difficulty setting, for example, and a "decent challenge" is of course hugely subjective, so I think the disappointment here might come because the symbol of all the efforts we've put into a game, as represented by a digital trophy, is suddenly "devalued" as the criteria to obtain it change. I get it, I feel that pang too when it happens - and looking at your (really impressive) profile, I'm sure you feel it all the more as URs become common!

But while trophies are there to tell YOU that you've accomplished a challenge, they can't be tailored to everyone's particular biases so that the "decent challenge" is similar across the board. My daughter finds Rataliaka platformers quite a challenge. My wife... yeah, remembering what button does what is the challenge. Likewise for the myriad of disabilities that can affect gaming. The baseline is already different, so to repeat the point that's been hammered here... You do you. Want to play on easy? Go ahead. Want to do a speedrun? More power to you. No death run? I'll watch your stream. You have a severe eyesight handicap and manage to finish Dead Cells because they devs made the mobs weaker? Yeah, you get a trophy.

Edited by visighost
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, visighost said:

Most people don't typically complain you can get all trophies from a game on any difficulty setting, for example, and a "decent challenge" is of course hugely subjective, so I think the disappointment here might come because the symbol of all the efforts we've put into a game, as represented by a digital trophy, is suddenly "devalued" as the criteria to obtain it change. I get it, I feel that pang too when it happens - and looking at your (really impressive) profile, I'm sure you feel it all the more as URs become common!

But while trophies are there to tell YOU that you've accomplished a challenge, they can't be tailored to everyone's particular biases so that the "decent challenge" is similar across the board. My daughter finds Rataliaka platformers quite a challenge. My wife... yeah, remembering what button does what is the challenge. Likewise for the myriad of disabilities that can affect gaming. The baseline is already different, so to repeat the point that's been hammered here... You do you. Want to play on easy? Go ahead. Want to do a speedrun? More power to you. No death run? I'll watch your stream. You have a severe eyesight handicap and manage to finish Dead Cells because they devs made the mobs weaker? Yeah, you get a trophy.

Agree that there is definitely room for accessibility options and trophies for those who complete the game with those options on. 

With that said, trophies are digital rewards, and a reward that can be earned without effort loses its meaning for a certain subset of people. Thus, making all trophies easier is catering for those who want easy games / have impairment at the expense of those who want difficult trophies. I don't see why this has to be a zero sum game when many older games have had a solution for this all along: Separate trophies for each game mode, one for assist and one for non-assist. Or one for easy, one for normal, one for hard mode. Throw in one for a speedrun or deathless run for good measure if the game is suitable for those kind of runs. 

I would argue that this is more inclusive than lowering the requirement bar for every trophy in the game. 

• Like 1

Nice to see. I love accessibility settings, they’re optional and if they make a game easier or dead easy for trophies etc oh well. If you don’t like using them, don’t. If you do, do, whether that be disability, or trophy hunting or whatever else. Just enjoy what you enjoy, how you enjoy it, and embrace the fact others can enjoy it more freely now.

• Like 3

This is great to see!

Also a thing worth bringing up (which I believe Steve Saylor [the guy from the Twitter posted in this thread] has brought up before) is that even able bodied people will probably need accessibility features in the future as our bodies decay and we get old. So yes, you may not need these features and features like these now, but you may when you get old and want to play old video games. 

• Like 4

On 23/06/2022 at 4:08 PM, Woopa777 said:

From a selfish point of view I don't like when games adds easy modes, because I am weak and will eventually turn it on. 

Celeste is a good example. I loved the challenging gameplay and would have spend a lot of time on that game, but when I hit a difficulty spike, it didn't take long before I turned assist mode on, and after the first time, it gets harder and harder to resist. I'm sure I would have done the same for all the harder of my 100% games if I had the chance and I wouldn't have any plats to be proud of. 

I know that this is my own problem, but this is why I prefer games without easy mode. I was actually planning to play dead cells very soon, but I might skip it if this trivializes the play.

It’s extremely tempting when all trophies can be obtained on a game on easy difficulty setting and I will sure as hell take advantage of it but I have beat games on hard mode before though and nothing wrong with taking advantage if it makes a platinum easier but I do plan to obtain the Cuphead platinum without the expert mode exploit that many here have likely heard of as I feel the game should be a total challenge.

Edited by BrettyBoy
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Stig-FD3S said:

Assist mode is basically a game shark in 2022. It's using cheat codes with zero consequences.

What is the point when the game is basically going to play itself?

If the person enjoys that, let them. You don’t have to use anything like that. It’s your enjoyment that matters, not others.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Keidah said:

If the person enjoys that, let them. You don’t have to use anything like that. It’s your enjoyment that matters, not others.

A game that basically plays itself is pretty worthless in my eyes. Might as well just watch a video

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Teh_Zombz said:

good thing its optional, i can understand being annoyed at this if it was an online pvp game but a single player rogue lite? i don't get the criticism lol

You're on a trophy website. By your logic you should have no problem with people hacking their systems and giving themselves all trophies in all games because who cares it's not PvP.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stig-FD3S said:

You're on a trophy website. By your logic you should have no problem with people hacking their systems and giving themselves all trophies in all games because who cares it's not PvP.

if they don't show up on the leaderboards then i i don't care how they get their trophies. i never have issues with people cheating/exploiting as long as it doesn't effect other people

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Teh_Zombz said:

if they don't show up on the leaderboards then i i don't care how they get their trophies. i never have issues with people cheating/exploiting as long as it doesn't effect other people

Well, they will show up on the leaderboard 

• Like 1

My 5 cents to the update. I've played like 70 hours of Dead Cells on the Switch and last weekend I've tried out the new "Breaking Barriers" update and I am not sure what to think about it. Let me get this straight, it is great for people with disabilities, no doubt about that. But besides that it kinda changes the whole game. Dead Cells is not a Rogue Lite game anymore. It is now more like Strider or any jump and run action game.

The whole purpose of the game was learning strategies, routes and fighting mechanics. This is kinda gone because of the update. Yes, I know that it is totally optional but as soon as the real difficulty kicks in and the player is forced to go back to the beginning for the third or fourth time the majority will use the benefits of the update. I mean it makes sense right? If you just wanna play through that game in order to focus on other things, why not just go the easy route? Look at the the easy options on the Mario games on the Wii U or the Switch for example. The easy option there is that the game suggests playing a level for you. This short segment could trigger some sort of ambition to try it one more time but giving up one hour of playtime because of "rogue lite rules"? No way! Dead Cells takes it to another level and overhauls it's own game mechanic.

Playing with 4 or 5 boss cells now is a joke and it raises the question for me how to handle these things in the future and how many easy options are too many?

• Like 4

I'm having a lot of fun with the assist mode. Being able to just go ham with upgrades and stats rushing through everything in my way feels so much nicer than meticulously planning out every move and gear change only to lose it all when you die in 2 or 3 hits. 

Although to be fair, I didn't really like the game it was when it released. I probably would've left it unfinished if it weren't for the assist mode, but now it's here I'm actually enjoying the game

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Gommes_ said:

It is now more like Strider or any jump and run action game.

Sounds fantastic, to be honest. Now I'm glad I waited so long to play this! That said, I'll probably still try the game with default settings after platinum.

Impressed with the developers for supporting/updating their game this long. Gotta pick up the DLC bundle soon.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...