SBMM: Infallible theoretically easier or impossible

Recently the matchmaking has become Skills-based, which means rookies will play mostly against other rookies, while veterans with other veterans (the latter may split between Intermediate and Expert level). While the formula is way more complex than that (and unknown in its entirety), this means that if you are a beginner your chances are way higher to get infallible, while for a veteran this now may be just impossible (at least in the regular shows).

Be aware that this is NOT the myth of the "slightly skills-based" matchmaking that existed since season 1. SBMM is a recent thing that has been sneakily introduced.

Apparently, your skills are calculate by your % of wins along with your total wins (eg. if you win your first show ever, so 100% win/lose ratio, you should not be paired in a lobby of veterans afterwards), so i think that if you intentionally start a show and lose on the first round (or even later) for quite some times, you will then have a better chance to get Infallible as I think you won't get any veteran for several matches.

I think that regardless or your "skills" you may be randomly put in a lobby that has several players way better than you (the opposite does never seem to happen), due to the game being not active enough to allow a total big split of players in two (or 3) different type of lobbies.

SBMM is quite a dumb thing so it may be removed at some point, since veteran lobbies are huge luck based where 1 unlucky moment or a bad row spawn may eliminate you already (not to mention body blocking and grabs everywhere as well as all the broken physics) and where Lost Temple (the spammed finale) is completely fucked here with no chance to recover the moment you get a wrong door or body blocked.

For now if you play to get Infallible you may have a sort of limited amount of attempts available before you are constantly pulled in veteran lobbies. Maybe these attempts are quite limited.

Edited by VirtualNight
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I also add that the SBMM is only in Solo (main) show.

So apart from time limited events, the best way for Infallible would be duo/squad shows with decent people. These modes are not affected by SBMM as that would really screw everything, therefore there is a high chance that Mediatonic will do that eventually.

I guess it does, although I start to believe that the % of wins is a very minimal information taken in consideration, while your total wins is the most important factor.

Solo expert is so unplayable with the bodyblocking, just spawning in the last row is most likely game over in any race.

This explains a lot lol. I have noticed that my ability to win has gone way down after winning a bunch of games. It has made getting Track Star a huge pain. I used to have a few events where if I was put in the first row it was an almost guaranteed win for me and now I'm getting absolutely trashed. If this is the case, and I don't end up getting paired with people who aren't as skilled after failing a bunch, then this trophy is going to take way longer than I thought. I've already gotten Infallible thanks to Sweet Thieves.