is Ascension update part of new ps plus?

steel6burgh

This game alone is probably why I'll upgrade to the Extra tier....but I do have my worries. Is there a countdown on this game or how long will Returnal be a part of the Extra tier? I know Sony will rotate games in and out and haven't done the greatest job in the world announcing when they will pull a game from the lineup. (Which is why I never subscribed to PS now) I've seen on other threads that 1 day the game is there and the next day it's gone and as a trophy hunter, this scares the hell out of me. 

As you can see, this is all new to me and I just want to know that if I start the game in July or August, if it will still be there by the time I get around to it? 

1 minute ago, trojbrown40 said:

This game alone is probably why I'll upgrade to the Extra tier....but I do have my worries. Is there a countdown on this game or how long will Returnal be a part of the Extra tier? I know Sony will rotate games in and out and haven't done the greatest job in the world announcing when they will pull a game from the lineup. (Which is why I never subscribed to PS now) I've seen on other threads that 1 day the game is there and the next day it's gone and as a trophy hunter, this scares the hell out of me. 

As you can see, this is all new to me and I just want to know that if I start the game in July or August, if it will still be there by the time I get around to it? 

I have no insider info - so take my opinion as only that -but I suspect you’re safe.

Returnal is one of only a few genuine Next Gen, not-available-on-any-other-console exclusives, and until that field is much more filled out, I suspect it will remain a tentpole of their sales-pitch of this service.

After all - it works as a draw - as these comments confirm…

… and with good reason (it’s awesome!) ☺️

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Returnal is one of only a few genuine Next Gen, not-available-on-any-other-console exclusives, and until that field is much more filled out, I suspect it will remain a tentpole of their sales-pitch of this service.

I don't have any insider information about Returnal either, but I agree with DrBloodMoney on this. Sony acquired Housemarque one or two years ago, and Sony's 2025 vision is to market more original IPs like Returnal. Resogun was another Housemarque title that, once introduced on PS Now, Sony never pulled from PS Now. Sony exclusives have always been a key feature of PS Now: God of War, Ratchet & Clank, Gravity Rush, Jak and Daxter, etc. With the new PS+ Extra/Premium replacing PS Now, IPS such as Uncharted, Marvel's Spider-Man, inFamous, and Days Gone are now in the subscription catalog as well. Sony isn't trying to compete with Microsoft Gamepass as much as differentiate themselves from it. Sony is saying, "Look at us. Look at all this amazing, exclusive amazing content you can have. Buy a PlayStation, pay $120, and all this can be yours (for a year)." Returnal (and anything from Housemarque) is a strong selling point for the PS5 and upgraded service.

Edited by poetic_justice_
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, trojbrown40 said:

I agree with what others have said i think this game will stay for a good while and even if it leaves it will work it's way back for a very long possibly permanent stay.  Returnal is about the age where it was due for a steeper drop in price and I think instead of including it in any sales it's gonna be exclusive to their service.   If you noticed since announcing it was gonna be part of the line up it hasn't' went back on sale.  

• 6 months later...
On 14.06.2022 at 7:47 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

not-available-on-any-other-console exclusives

That will no longer be true at some point this year, with Returnal coming to PC (in early '23?). Of course, it does not invalidate anything you said, and it is still not very likely that it will disappear from the PS+ Extra line-up any time soon. Interestingly, 32GB of RAM are recommended for the PC version, which somewhat explains why higher Phases of the tower (10+) are not always running so smoothly on PS5 (not that I ever got that far, but I saw some tower runs which either crashed or experienced lower frame rates). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, det_gittes said:

That will no longer be true at some point this year, with Returnal coming to PC (in early '23?). Of course, it does not invalidate anything you said, and it is still not very likely that it will disappear from the PS+ Extra line-up any time soon. Interestingly, 32GB of RAM are recommended for the PC version, which somewhat explains why higher Phases of the tower (10+) are not always running so smoothly on PS5 (not that I ever got that far, but I saw some tower runs which either crashed or experienced lower frame rates). 

That's true - hard to predict what Sony's line of thinking will be vis-a-vis "exclusives" (or console exclusives) and PS+ once more and more are on PC.

They do potentially lose some lustre as selling points - though it's hard to gauge how much the "average" PS+ subscriber even factors PC stuff into their thinking - whether it is more trafficked by "console-only" gamers or not? ?

I suspect they'll probably still try to keep a good few "console exclusives" on the service - and owned ones like Returnal would be the most obvious, easy ones to manage for that - but who knows?

Certainly not me ?

• Like 1