Just got the plat on Stellaris. Happy to answer questions.

Man, i love this game, i have iot on consoles and pc, and play activly on both :D i am eyeing that plat , but my biggest problem is fleet power in the endgame. In my last game i had the broodqueen event and i wanted the capture trophy, but i got my ass handed to me with no lube and all..
Any general tips maybe ? And congrats of course!

6 hours ago, shadow_hunter_x2 said:

my biggest problem is fleet power in the endgame.

I would suggest a dedicated, multi-pronged strategy of pursuing this objective:

• You need a healthy technology base, to plow through the technology tree and get into the repeatables beyond that which offer bonuses to various military things.
  • You need a healthy production base, so that you have the materials to construct large numbers of ships.  A sizable Alloy income helps, and the Mega Shipyard really helps if you can get your hands on it because it can pump out an entire fleet a lot faster than building it one ship at a time at a Starbase somewhere.
  • You need a lot of Naval Capacity to support all that.  My method of dealing with that is to build a Stronghold on every world; not only does it help with defending from invasions if they come, but you get Naval Capacity out of them as well.  If you've got a healthy number of planets, the Fleet Capacity adds up very quickly.

Roll all of that together, and remember to upgrade your existing fleets every so often when your technology has taken a healthy step forward?  You ought to be fine.

• Like 3

On 6/19/2022 at 6:46 PM, shadow_hunter_x2 said:

Man, i love this game, i have iot on consoles and pc, and play activly on both :D i am eyeing that plat , but my biggest problem is fleet power in the endgame. In my last game i had the broodqueen event and i wanted the capture trophy, but i got my ass handed to me with no lube and all..
Any general tips maybe ? And congrats of course!

There is so much to learn in the game and each playthrough I learn more. I always build loads of science and construction ships and just concentrate on discovery and expansion to start. I colonise every habital planet and worry about my fleet later. When I'm ready and as we approach end game I start building my fleets. The megastructure shipyard really helps. A fleet size of 300-400k is enough to take on pretty much anything. Certain enemies are weaker to certain weapon types. With the scourge, I got lucky.. I had a huge fleet but didn't react quick enough. I should have stationed them near the initial planet they spawn into, to keep them under control. I didn't and the amount of ships and speed of them meant they started colonising my planets. I kept in the game and killed a lot of them, and then the trophy popped out of nowhere. I think the fact that I had managed to outlast them helped.

• 3 months later...

From what I see in the trophy list this platinum should be a 2 out of 10, 3 at the absolute most. Stellaris is not an easy game to master, but not that hard to learn on a basic level when compared to other Paradox games that are downright impossible to play unless you are actually familiar with how things are working. The ironman looks like a turn off at first, but can be abused by uploading your save to a cloud or external to make up for very low chance run ending mistakes, though bad luck events are not common. Nothing in it seems the least bit difficult given that you can freely choose all options available to you, including the easiest difficulty and the galaxy settings that allow you to set up achievements in a way that makes them nearly impossible to fail. A few rng achievements like the Galatron do not really make it difficult either, just takes some time.

Given my experience with Paradox games in general as well as Stellaris I actually considered writing a guide for this once the dlcs are finished releasing and I can complete it in one go (bought the console version and 2 season passes first, wanted to wait for all dlc, got impatient and impulse bought it on a massive steam sale but I will still 100% it on console after I already invested money in it), but after actually getting familiar with the game on Steam I did not assume anyone would even have any interest in a trophy guide given how loose the rules are for ironman.

25 minutes ago, Dauersack said:

From what I see in the trophy list this platinum should be a 2 out of 10, 3 at the absolute most. Stellaris is not an easy game to master, but not that hard to learn on a basic level when compared to other Paradox games that are downright impossible to play unless you are actually familiar with how things are working. The ironman looks like a turn off at first, but can be abused by uploading your save to a cloud or external to make up for very low chance run ending mistakes, though bad luck events are not common. Nothing in it seems the least bit difficult given that you can freely choose all options available to you, including the easiest difficulty and the galaxy settings that allow you to set up achievements in a way that makes them nearly impossible to fail. A few rng achievements like the Galatron do not really make it difficult either, just takes some time.

Given my experience with Paradox games in general as well as Stellaris I actually considered writing a guide for this once the dlcs are finished releasing and I can complete it in one go (bought the console version and 2 season passes first, wanted to wait for all dlc, got impatient and impulse bought it on a massive steam sale but I will still 100% it on console after I already invested money in it), but after actually getting familiar with the game on Steam I did not assume anyone would even have any interest in a trophy guide given how loose the rules are for ironman.

I don't know about anyone else but I would love to see detailed Guides for the main game and the DLCs, along with maybe a supplement that explains the basic mechanics :).

45 minutes ago, Dauersack said:

The trouble with Stellaris is that certain trophies require doing stuff that's easy on paper but confusing in practice. Queening for example, I remember spending literally 2 days on this, and like half of that time was waiting for the specific unit or whatever (it's been a while, don't remember the details) to appear. I had them boxed in a very small space and waited. I doubted myself, I wondered if the event glitched, etc. I remember drafting some sort of a help post, similar to what the OP wrote and the gist of it regarding that trophy was - when in doubt, wait. And wait. Then wait. It is easy as you say, but if you get unlucky with an event, you can literally restart because you think it glitched out when it was actually fine, but bad RNG made it seem stuck for hours. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

I don't know about anyone else but I would love to see detailed Guides for the main game and the DLCs, along with maybe a supplement that explains the basic mechanics :).

The problem is that, as of today, despite being capable of writing a guide (though I would need someone to proof read it given that I learned English by just winging it and therefore can't guarantee that every sentence is as comprehensible as necessary) it makes not much sense to do so right now even if people want it. Guides may take months, sometimes years to get approved on this site from what I have seen, and Stellaris is still a changing game, the new Toxoid DLC threw a few things out of whack, with some DLC/patches entire mechanics change like the empire sprawl, so by the time it is approved it would be out of date already. Sure, a guide can be updated, but I would prefer to wait a bit more, also would prefer to buy the dlc on sale instead of full price, but thats not the main issue. Honestly I do not mind writing one if there is actual demand.

11 minutes ago, the1andonly654 said:

The trouble with Stellaris is that certain trophies require doing stuff that's easy on paper but confusing in practice. Queening for example, I remember spending literally 2 days on this, and like half of that time was waiting for the specific unit or whatever (it's been a while, don't remember the details) to appear. I had them boxed in a very small space and waited. I doubted myself, I wondered if the event glitched, etc. I remember drafting some sort of a help post, similar to what the OP wrote and the gist of it regarding that trophy was - when in doubt, wait. And wait. Then wait. It is easy as you say, but if you get unlucky with an event, you can literally restart because you think it glitched out when it was actually fine, but bad RNG made it seem stuck for hours. 

Yeah I agree that it can sometimes be confusing due to how some trophies are worded, though I did not expect it to be enough to write a full on guide that explains each trophy given that most things can reasonably be figured out, unless it is the Galatron, had to look up what thats about myself. Dunno, maybe I write a guide after the DLC that changes the empire sprawl makes it do console, because then at least I would not have to relearn so much when compared to the pc version ?

I originally wanted to wait until 100% of the game is released and then blitz through it as the fastest achiever, but since then I have lost pretty much all interest in that kind of thing I might as well do it a bit earlier and play through it like a normal person would, sounds more fun anyway. Unless of course someone is already working on it, then there is no need to start writing a guide. Is there any way to check for that?

Edited by Dauersack

1 hour ago, Dauersack said:

My personal opinion is that I'd probably peg it at 4/10, maybe even 5/10 if I wanted to hedge on the high side, most particularly because of the need to fight RNG as often as you do.  (Time consuming and frequently tedious, too, but I don't bump up difficulty ratings for that.)  Fortunately, the ability to do pretty much everything on the lowest difficulty makes things much simpler once a player masters most of the basics.

37 minutes ago, Dauersack said:

The problem is that, as of today, despite being capable of writing a guide (though I would need someone to proof read it given that I learned English by just winging it and therefore can't guarantee that every sentence is as comprehensible as necessary) it makes not much sense to do so right now even if people want it. Guides may take months, sometimes years to get approved on this site from what I have seen, and Stellaris is still a changing game, the new Toxoid DLC threw a few things out of whack, with some DLC/patches entire mechanics change like the empire sprawl, so by the time it is approved it would be out of date already. Sure, a guide can be updated, but I would prefer to wait a bit more, also would prefer to buy the dlc on sale instead of full price, but thats not the main issue. Honestly I do not mind writing one if there is actual demand.

Yeah I agree that it can sometimes be confusing due to how some trophies are worded, though I did not expect it to be enough to write a full on guide that explains each trophy given that most things can reasonably be figured out, unless it is the Galatron, had to look up what thats about myself. Dunno, maybe I write a guide after the DLC that changes the empire sprawl makes it do console, because then at least I would not have to relearn so much when compared to the pc version 1f642.png

I originally wanted to wait until 100% of the game is released and then blitz through it as the fastest achiever, but since then I have lost pretty much all interest in that kind of thing I might as well do it a bit earlier and play through it like a normal person would, sounds more fun anyway. Unless of course someone is already working on it, then there is no need to start writing a guide. Is there any way to check for that?

Is a(nother) guide necessary?  Probably not; between the discussions on the Steam boards, the Paradox forums themselves, Reddit, odd pieces here and there on other trophy/achievement sites, et cetera, one can probably find answers to most questions if they're willing to do a little digging.  There's even a pretty good achievement guide on Steam that I keep bookmarked in this web browser for when I want to refresh my memory on something I have not yet done.

But your impressions on the guide approval process on this site aren't what I have experienced, and I have a dozen guides to my credit at this stage.  Not wildly complex and involved guides, because of the games I've written them for and because I "stick to the basics" and don't do bells and whistles like tables and embedded videos and the sort, but guides nonetheless.  And I can't say that your statements about how time-consuming and difficult it is to get a guide approved and published are what I've been through; other than times when I've been asked to go back and re-format a few things, most of my guides have sailed through the process pretty quickly.

If you do decide to write a guide, and you want someone to bounce it off of or to proofread or what-have-you, I'd be glad to lend my assistance.

• Like 1

On 30.9.2022 at 2:47 AM, acasser said:

My personal opinion is that I'd probably peg it at 4/10, maybe even 5/10 if I wanted to hedge on the high side, most particularly because of the need to fight RNG as often as you do.  (Time consuming and frequently tedious, too, but I don't bump up difficulty ratings for that.)  Fortunately, the ability to do pretty much everything on the lowest difficulty makes things much simpler once a player masters most of the basics.

RNG does not really make it difficult, just increases the length a bit. Not only can it be played on the easiest difficulty, you can literally dumb it down to being close to a 1/10 by filling the galaxy with custom empires of yours that are fanatic pacifists that can't attack you, or have REALLY bad species traits and civics if you have to work with something like a fanatical purifier for a trophy, crisis strength can go down to 0.25 if I remember correctly. There is not any level of challenge in the game unless you want it to be challenging, the only reason I did not straight up rate this a 1 was because learning the basics takes more effort than in most games.

Is a(nother) guide necessary?  Probably not; between the discussions on the Steam boards, the Paradox forums themselves, Reddit, odd pieces here and there on other trophy/achievement sites, et cetera, one can probably find answers to most questions if they're willing to do a little digging.  There's even a pretty good achievement guide on Steam that I keep bookmarked in this web browser for when I want to refresh my memory on something I have not yet done.

True, though does that not apply to pretty much every game? I have found guides for games that have fewer than 100 owners on this site.

But your impressions on the guide approval process on this site aren't what I have experienced, and I have a dozen guides to my credit at this stage.  Not wildly complex and involved guides, because of the games I've written them for and because I "stick to the basics" and don't do bells and whistles like tables and embedded videos and the sort, but guides nonetheless.  And I can't say that your statements about how time-consuming and difficult it is to get a guide approved and published are what I've been through; other than times when I've been asked to go back and re-format a few things, most of my guides have sailed through the process pretty quickly.

Well to be fair, my experience is mostly just seeing several people over the years complain that their guides are not online after months. When one guy complained that his guide was still not up it was in early 2021 with already several months of nothing happening by then, now we have late 2022 with the guide is still not being up, and that was a much smaller and simpler game than Stellaris so I assumed that there may be considerable waiting time.

If you do decide to write a guide, and you want someone to bounce it off of or to proofread or what-have-you, I'd be glad to lend my assistance.

Thanks, if I actually end up writing one I will gladly reach out to you for that, because Stellaris is already complicated enough to learn even without people having to fight through a language barrier. :yay:

Edited by Dauersack

• 3 months later...

Saying this game is a 2/10 difficulty is humorous. The RNG evolved in some of the trophies alone is crazy and the time and number of playthroughs you need to do. Just need to look at the number of people who have platinumed it tells you this guy is a joker. Yes to an experienced player a lot of the trophies are very doable but you need to put in the hundreds of hours to learn all the mechanics. What a pointless post. Please do a trophy guide rather than bragging how easy it all is.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8.1.2023 at 2:27 PM, Twohands108 said:

Saying this game is a 2/10 difficulty is humorous. The RNG evolved in some of the trophies alone is crazy and the time and number of playthroughs you need to do. Just need to look at the number of people who have platinumed it tells you this guy is a joker. Yes to an experienced player a lot of the trophies are very doable but you need to put in the hundreds of hours to learn all the mechanics. What a pointless post. Please do a trophy guide rather than bragging how easy it all is.

It will soon drop to a 1/10 due to the PC version including an even lower difficulty mode that is therefore pretty much guaranteed to come to console. The new civilian difficulty has twice the bonuses for the player when compared to Cadet difficulty which already made the game ridiculously easy given that you also have all the control about how the galaxy will look, and no, the platinum is not difficult, nor does it require much RNG, the real RNG heavy trophies are in the DLCs, and this game here is not hard to learn on a very basic level, which is the only level required due to difficulty, customization and ironman being abusable, so with the new difficulty I feel comfortable to rate this a 1/10 given that it basically plays itself now if you activate automation.

Sorry to be the one to tell you, and sad that I even have to keep explaining this very basic fact to people, but difficulty has NOTHING to do with required play time. A game can be a 1/10 or 2/10 and still be long, likewise RNG has absolutely nothing to do with difficulty either, nor has minimum number of easy and mostly quick playthroughs, or the rarity of a niche game, so perhaps you should look up the meaning of words before you misuse them, otherwise you just make a fool out of yourself by calling grindy but very easy games difficult. Fact is you can pretty much instantly unlock many of the trophies by setting up a "playthrough" as you call it specifically for them, can be over as fast as 1 minute with certain trophies, the only ones basically guaranteed to drag it out are the RNG heavy ones from some of the DLCs like the Galatron trophy that may take double digit hours if you get unlucky, none of these are in the base game though, only mild RNG there at most.

On 30.9.2022 at 11:13 AM, HuntingFever said:

I've never had to wait longer than a month for a Guide to get approved but that was only because the Guide Team were swamped at the time :). Also, your English is better than mine and I'm a UK native :).

Aww thank you. Like I said though, the new difficulty makes it pretty much pointless to make a guide now so I thankfully won't have to deal with that anyway. The platinum can be obtained in around 5 hours now if you go Civilian difficulty and just amp up the pop growth while reducing the research cost, you get to reach lategame in 5 ingame decades and can make the Prethoryn appear for the Queening trophy, and guarantee the Holy Worlds as well for the Deus Vult trophy, all while having the ability to freely jump around with your ethics to unlock almost all others in that single run and being far too strong for anyone to challenge you no matter how bad you are at the game. You can unlock the few leftovers almost instantly, so there are only two remaining that require some RNG, though even they can be made more likely.

When it comes to DLC trophies, writing a guide for that sounds like a big old mess, A due to the sheer number of DLC trophies, and B, not everyone having access to all DLC, so there is either risk of using methods certain players don't have available, or requiring a big number of notes and alternative approaches for players that only want trophies from certain DLCs. Either way, a pretty big mess that I want no part of, especially not with most people only caring about the plat anyway, and that one is both easy and quick now, so I apply the same principle I did for other rather obscure games that didn't have a guide, "not enough people interested to justify the effort", and the information all being out there already.

Edited by Dauersack

17 minutes ago, Komrade_Dusty said:

If you're looking to do some boosting, the kill a titan with your titan and kill a colossus while it's firing trophies are two I need and don't see happening in a normal game.

If you mean boosting as in getting another player with you to make it happen in multiplayer, then I have to sadly disappoint you. For the trophies to unlock you need to be in ironman mode, which is not possible in multiplayer, been this way forever in Paradox games, and normally it makes sense in games like Crusader Kings given that it would just take all the challenge out of the game, but it is nonsensical in Stellaris due to how low the difficulty here is already. You are right that these are not likely to happen naturally, so you should dedicate a quick run for them.

Start in a somewhat small galaxy with only a Fallen Empire, you want the Xenophobe one that is guaranteed to have a colossus, reset until you get that one, set down the tech cost, difficulty, make the lategame come earlier as well as upping the pop growth to go deep into repeatables, leave the Fallen Empire some room to expand though. Ultimately the FE will awaken, expand and go to war with you, let them take over some planets before really fighting them, ultimately their colossus will try to destroy one of your planets, have a fleet ready with jump technology so that it can interrupt the colossus at a moments notice, don't forget to make a save on an external HDD before you fight the colossus just in case. As for the titans(the titan needs to be from a Fallen Empire), the Fallen Empire will start building them, might take a few years after awakening and require them to take over a few planets, but when you see one just hunt it down with a fleet that is entirely made out of your own Titans and its pretty easy.

Not nearly as annoying as it sounds if you do it this way. You may be able to get it faster by using the Spiritualist Fallen Empire for it instead, as you can force awaken them way earlier by destroying their holy worlds, but I think that they are not guaranteed to build a colossus, so might as well go with the Xenophobe one that already has one of these.

Edited by Dauersack
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, ZKVJK said:

As there is no guide and the game is currently on sale.. Does this game have any online trophies at all base and dlc?

AFAIK, this game is offline only with 0 online trophies of any kind. EDIT: There is 1 DLC Guide: https://psnprofiles.com/guide/16796-stellaris-synthetic-dawn-dlc-trophy-guide

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

3 hours ago, ZKVJK said:

As there is no guide and the game is currently on sale.. Does this game have any online trophies at all base and dlc?

Everything can be done in single-player Ironman.  There are things that are annoyingly RNG with really low odds, but that's probably the worst thing you have to deal with.

There's plenty of DLC out there, the most recent of which is very recent.  Almost every new DLC pack has come with a handful of new DLC trophies, too.  I don't know how close to "final" the game is; PC gets the updates first and the console version is usually a build or three behind, and I haven't checked how much further ahead the PC version is recently.

And if you're looking for guides and help, you're probably better off digging through the forums and the like either at the developer's website or over on Steam.

• Like 1

Let's keep the semantics of difficulty elsewhere. It's clearly not going anywhere nor it really relevant to the topic.

If you want to really discuss it (which it seems both of you are fed up with each other), take it to a PM or perhaps create a different topic for it.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Something specific that I have looked online for, but the answers aren't working for me (or seem to be Steam related). On my second game ever (the first game ended with my unofficial capitulation on two fronts).

Since super early in second my campaign (Year 1 probably - I am currently in year 70ish) there has been a cultist ship, that I disabled, stuck in limbo in my home system.
It asks me to have a military ship in orbit to board it.  None of my navy ships work, so I created an army in the starbase and it made a small army force, that can fly about in space. I ASSUME this is the correct ship type.

However, even if I orbit the star, the base, the binary star (which is closer to the cultist) or fly near the ship, I can't seem to get the "research" button to light up.

Have you encountered this, and if yes, do you know the solution?

*Edited for spelling, as per below

Edited by s69-5

On 11/25/2023 at 12:01 AM, s69-5 said:

Something specific that I have looked online for, but the answers aren't working for me (or seem to be Steam related). On my second game ever (the first game ended with my unofficial capitualation on two fronts).

Since super early in second my campaign (Year 1 probably - I am currently in year 70ish) there has been a cultist ship, that I disabled, stuck in limbo in my home system.
It asks me to have a military ship in orbit to board it.  None of my navy ships work, so i created an army in the starbase and it made a small army force, that can fly about in space. I ASSUME this is the correct ship type.

However, even if I orbit the star, the base, the binary star (which is closer to the cultist) or fly near the ship, I can't seem to get the "research" button to light up.

Have you encountered this, and if yes, do you know the solution?

Known ballbreaking glitch.

You have to zoom in to the max in the system map and park your military ships right next to the disabled cultist ship, then go back to the stellar map, select the ships you used and click on the system (should have an exclamation mark), perhaps using :square: (not 100% sure about this one). Otherwise, do the same thing but go to left menu, in situation log, and hopefuly you’ll have the mission in green and will be able to launch it from there.

Edit: happened to me yesterday right at the start of a new game. So yeah, I parked my 3 corvettes fleet right next to the disabled ship, and then went in the Situation Log to board it.

Edited by KennethMcCormick
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...