Rumor: Overwatch 1 will be merged with Overwatch 2 in October, potential issues

Stinkyremy

36 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Have any link to this?

The links are in the original post I put sufficient information from the appropriate sites

33 minutes ago, Riiszk said:

They've completely changed trophies and the requirements many times in the past to fit the current state of the game. They'll just change them again for OW2 release. 2CP trophies will change to another game mode based trophy is my guess. Hero trophies that'll become impossible (eg. Doomfist) will also just be changed. More than half of the trophies would be unobtainable right now if they didn't change anything, not sure how this is any different. OW2 will just be the same MP as OW1, but with the addition of having a permanent PvE mode as its story. 

Saying OW1 will be dead is misleading. The way the game is played now? Yes, of course that'll be dead. But the game is being refreshed and updated. This isn't a new concept for MP only games. You can almost be certain that all trophies will still be obtainable after Oct. If you're super pedantic about a 100% profile, then 100% this in a boost session to ensure your profile will be fine.

So much fear mongering on this site with literally anything

OW1 will be dead, it is literally ceasing to function entirely and being merged with OW2, there will literally be no OW1 after the release of 2 in October.

Every trophy in the game so far can be obtained in matches in fact with only 1 or 2 of them that are extremely difficult, while of course most of them are actually difficult but they can and do happen in real game matches when the situation calls for it.

I don't care about 100%ing the game the trophy information was for the PSA of this info that even Blizzard are not blatantly sharing, what I do care about is Blizzard trying to gather our personal data for a god damn F2P game that is being put in place while they kill the original game.

It is not fear mongering everything I explained in the post is correct with proof within the post for the key points.

I have never heard of a trophy changing but it is not something i keep track on, if you have any examples of trophies changing especially in a situation like this feel free to share the info.

The amount of hype Overwatch 2 has is way less than what Call Of Duty Vanguard got. This game is gonna be a day one flop. Free to play games are nickel and dimed to hell. Would have been way better to get a 60$ release and know you get everything. But Activision really knows how to ruin their franchises.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, totallycrushed said:

So you have no sources for it getting axed when OW2 releases. Ok.

Kinda weird they haven't announced end of service and still have Prime bundles for it going etc.

Blizzard have said since the day they announced Overwatch 2 that it's going to replace Overwatch 1. 

The source was linked in the opening post, but here it is again: https://eu.shop.battle.net/en-gb/product/overwatch?blzcmp=ow_buy_nav

Overwatch® will be replaced by Overwatch® 2 when Overwatch® 2 is launched. All Overwatch® elements will either be replaced by Overwatch® 2 equivalents, or shall cease to be accessible. Overwatch® in-game items from Overwatch® Legendary Edition, will be useable in Overwatch® 2

• Like 1

Blizzard killed themself years ago. ActiBlizz didnt changed something in a good way, and the ms stuff i think will also change nothing. I spend well to much money on stuff from them to only get over and over trolled by them. I left WoW after 17 Years and i will never buy something from them again. They scam you all over the place and it wont change, why should it change after so many years? It only got worse and worse. The Phone Number is the beginning, there will be more lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stinkyremy said:

It is not fear mongering everything I explained in the post is correct with proof within the post for the key points.

I have never heard of a trophy changing but it is not something i keep track on, if you have any examples of trophies changing especially in a situation like this feel free to share the info.

You're saying trophies won't be able to be earned anymore. How is that factual without providing proof? 

R6 siege is the best example. Most trophies were completely changed. Modes were removed and added. They changed so much in that list, but if we're talking about OW, I'll go through every change I can remember over the 6 years where they've changed the trophy requirement for it. 

-Mercy's big rez used to be her ultimate, but now it's an ability, therefore, not being able to rez 4 or 5 at once anymore.

-Hanzo used to have scatter arrows, now the ability and trophy changed to storm arrows and upped the kills from 2 to 3.

-Tobjorns raid wipe used to power himself up like one of his abilities does now, except his turret would go from level 2 to 3. Now his turret is set to a permanent level 2. They fit this into what his current trophy is. 

-Torbs other trophy was giving and having armour to all teammates at once, but now that ability is gone.

-Symmetras car wash was changed from 7 beams to only 3. She used to have 6 turrets and a beam that's similar what Moira's is now. 

I remember a game mode trophy being buggy and changing, and so many other ability changes that might have affected trophies in some minor way. All this is to fit the game as of right now. I'm sure the trophies were different again 3 or 4 years ago.

I can assure you they'll change trophy requirements where it's needed. 

If I put my OW1 disc in after Oct, I'll still be playing with everyone else in the same MP. It won't be dead, just changed and updated. 

Edited by Riiszk
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, Shadiochao said:

Blizzard have said since the day they announced Overwatch 2 that it's going to replace Overwatch 1. 

"As reported by outlets like Micky, Blizzard has confirmed that the sequel won't outwardly replace the previous game. Reportedly, any new maps and characters featured in Overwatch 2 will also be added to the first Overwatch over time."

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grifteskymfning said:

“As reported by outlets like Micky, Blizzard has confirmed that the sequel won't outwardly replace the previous game. Reportedly, any new maps and characters featured in Overwatch 2 will also be added to the first Overwatch over time."

But since they announced OW2 being F2P recently, and the fact that OW and OW2 would play PvP together as planned, I bet that by updating OW, we will reinstall the whole game to become OW2. OW trophies will be changed to become OW2’s.

But that’s just my theory of what will happen.

Edited by MaxieM0us3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, grifteskymfning said:

"As reported by outlets like Micky, Blizzard has confirmed that the sequel won't outwardly replace the previous game. Reportedly, any new maps and characters featured in Overwatch 2 will also be added to the first Overwatch over time."

And just one line down from that:

In fact, the plan is to eventually make sure that Overwatch and Overwatch 2 will eventually be rolled out as a single entity in which players can experience the sequel without having to sacrifice their progress from the first game.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Shadiochao said:

Overwatch and Overwatch 2 will eventually be rolled out as a single entity

Exactly. Making Overwatch anything but dead.

20 minutes ago, MaxieM0us3 said:

OW trophies will be changed to become OW2’s.

^ this

Edited by grifteskymfning
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mcnichoj said:

lol, okay.

right lol. Microsoft has had NOTHING to do with decisions made by Blizzard in any way lol. The company that held an internal investigation which released this week, that found that the company they work for did nothing wrong in terms of harassment and discrimination made these choices...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

I would love to see some confirmed, verified proof from a trustworthy source that this game will be unplayable come October, because at the moment I'm not seeing anything concrete to back up this rumour. Personally, I think it's BS and the game will be just fine after a few patches to change stuff over like the devs always do when something happens that breaks a trophy.

I think a game being completely replaced with its sequel is unprecedented so we probably won't know until it happens.

When it comes to the trophies, it just depends on how they handle the release. If it's in the form of a patch then the trophies will have to be changed. Although that would require changing almost every trophy in some way, and I'm not sure how Sony feels about changing requirements post-launch, let alone so many so drastically. Free-to-play games also have different trophy rules than paid titles, so there could be a conflict somewhere that prevents keeping the current list, although I don't think there is.

But if it's a brand new client then it won't be possible to earn trophies on the PS4 list of Overwatch 1 anymore. It's a free-to-play game, so releasing a new client wouldn't cause any issues for existing players. All your progress is saved on your Battle.net account rather than a local save file, so nothing in OW2 depends on anything in OW1. I think that's the most likely option since it's going to be a fresh start anyway, and there's just no reason to release it as a patch. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Shadiochao said:

I think a game being completely replaced with its sequel is unprecedented so we probably won't know until it happens.

When it comes to the trophies, it just depends on how they handle the release. If it's in the form of a patch then the trophies will have to be changed. Although that would require changing almost every trophy in some way, and I'm not sure how Sony feels about changing requirements post-launch, let alone so many so drastically. Free-to-play games also have different trophy rules than paid titles, so there could be a conflict somewhere that prevents keeping the current list, although I don't think there is.

But if it's a brand new client then it won't be possible to earn trophies on the PS4 list of Overwatch 1 anymore. It's a free-to-play game, so releasing a new client wouldn't cause any issues for existing players. All your progress is saved on your Battle.net account rather than a local save file so nothing in OW2 depends on anything in OW1. I think that's the most likely option since it's going to be a fresh start anyway, and there's just no reason to release it as a patch. 

Thank you, that sounds more plausible :). Going by that, we could be looking at a Fall Guys type situation, whereby the old launcher goes away and renders the current list uncompletable but a new launcher is made available that uses the exact same list and auto-pops any trophies you earned in the old one ?.

13 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Blizzard being merged with Activision was the beginning of the decline. Being bought by Microsoft is basically a death sentence. 

Blizzard has failed to bring anything new or interesting to the table. I definitely noticed they were really starting to slip when they released Mists of Pandaria, an expansion for World of Warcraft. Despite the complaints and suggestions  WoW veterans were giving, Blizzard continued to sit on their butts. 

Games like Overwatch are why I don’t play multiplayer centric games anymore. I used to love them, but that was a bygone era when MMOs and multiplayer focused games like Halo 3 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare were brand new. 

Doesn’t help that communities like the Overwatch community are composed of a bunch of “sweatlords”, so you can’t even enjoy online gaming casually with your friends. 

Glad I never touched this game. Anyone who still needs the trophies for this, best get to boosting. 

I’m never spending money on Blizzard ever again.

I get your point, but Overwatch and online centered games can be enjoyed by casual gamers, I suggest people to mute othets and thats it! I do quite enjoy Overwatch still, playing some matches here and there, mutting others when I am trying a hero that I am not good at, to avoid people complainig at me. However, if there is ahero I do tryhard, then I enter in my "competitive mode", but without insulting others obviously 

12 hours ago, Stinkyremy said:

The links are in the original post I put sufficient information from the appropriate sites

OW1 will be dead, it is literally ceasing to function entirely and being merged with OW2, there will literally be no OW1 after the release of 2 in October.

Every trophy in the game so far can be obtained in matches in fact with only 1 or 2 of them that are extremely difficult, while of course most of them are actually difficult but they can and do happen in real game matches when the situation calls for it.

I don't care about 100%ing the game the trophy information was for the PSA of this info that even Blizzard are not blatantly sharing, what I do care about is Blizzard trying to gather our personal data for a god damn F2P game that is being put in place while they kill the original game.

Destiny 2 Prestige trophy changes for completing a nightfall strike in Grandmaster difficulty. So yes, trophy requirements can be changed, I am working currently ln destiny, Grandmaster is even harder than Leviathan, but thats how it is, trophy changes can become easier or harder, it depends ob developers

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Stinkyremy said:

THIS IS NOT A RUMOUR, MODS HAVE CHANGED THE TITLE WITHOUT READING THE OP, THERE IS OFFICIAL PROOF WITHIN THE OP AND LINKS TO THE OFFICIAL BLIZZARD WEBSITE EXPLAINING THAT OVERWATCH 1 WILL CEASE TO FUNCTION ON RELEASE OF OVERWATCH 2.

So Overwatch 1 will be fully dead in October so no actual way to play Overwatch 1 again. Now while some of you might know that Overwatch 2 will be F2P and OW1 & OW2 will be merged together there is some more pressing and "serious" issues related to this.

So to get the simple things out the way.

Trophies for OW1 might and possibly will stop being able to be achieved. EDIT : I looked at the trophies and seeing they are taking away all the 2CP (capture point) maps in OW2, even if they transfer the character kill trophies over there will be no way to get the 2CP double cap trophy of capturing both points without dying unless you have already gotten it.

All in game cosmetic items that you have unlocked will transfer over to OW2.

OW2 will be a cross platform progression so that you can play and carry your unlocks to any platform (PC,xbox, switch and PSN) via a battle.net account though an issue is with this as I will explain.

In game lootboxes are NOT going to be in OW2 and while we have had zero communication from Blizzard about this (they are being sneaky on purpose as you will see) it is pretty much a given that there will be no lootbox transferring to OW2 on the date they transition.

This also applies to the in game currency. Though it is confirmed OW2 has an in game shop and OW2 will have a currency you use for purchases from the in game shop, again there have been no word whether there will be a conversion rate at all.

So it would be smart for anyone who plans on playing OW2 to open all your lootboxes and possibly spend all your currency before the transition in October. Keep an eye on Official notices for if and when they actually explain what will happen.

Now here comes the difficult part.

So you cannot actually buy standard OW1 on the PSN store atm, it has been delisted in favour for an OW1&2 mega pack thing here: And while this may seem like an OK deal for anyone who does not have the game already, it is a bit of a rip off for a F2P games which is asking you to pay full price for cosmetics.

More of an issue for those of us who know this game is going to be dead in a few months.

The real issue is in the fine print:

Yep that is right, you need to doxx yourself to blizzard to play the game you might have already bought and if you don't well screw you, goodbye game.

Personally I am in no rush and do not want to be giving my personal details to a souless mega corporation to get access to a game I actually already own!

For more clarification from official Blizzard site here:

So in short OW1 is fully dead in October. If like me you bought the game and do not want to doxx yourself, tough luck and while OW2 will be F2P you will not be able to play it without handing over your phone number.

This may not be an issue for some of you but it is for me.

If anyone has any insight into the actual Legal processes from at least Sonys end of us buying a game that we are then locked out of because of an update and being forced to hand over personal information to play I would really appreciate your knowledge.

My basic understanding is something like this would be covered in the EULA of OW1 with something along the lines of "we reserve the rights to terminate the service at our discretion" with this being classed as that, but i cannot think of a way that Sony is legally allowed to sell us a product that then forces up to require to hand over personal information to a third party developer. At least in my country under data protection laws.

About the 2CP trophies, that mode will be in "arcade" modes up to rumours.

And about telephone numbers its good news because it's a way to stop "smurfs" accounts that are a nightmare in competitive mode(mostly platinum/diamond lobbies)

• Like 2