Great game, terrible remaster

Title says it all honestly. From the crashes, visual bugs, performance issues, things being locked on screen forcing you to restart the game. How in gods name did anyone at Hanger 13 or d3t say "Yep, this will live up to how amazing the original Mafia 2 was!". & to think it was even worse than this at launch....

If you want to experience Mafia 2, play it on PS3. The PS3 version is superior in just about every single aspect

Edited by ObsiEez
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Alos88 said:

How playable is it? Are we talking as bad as Mafia 3, worse?

Oh not even close to Mafia 3. Mafia 3 is on a whole other level. Most of the bugs/issues with Mafia 2's Remaster are surface level however with how many there are & how frequently they can interrupt your play session, it gets extremely annoying fast

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ObsiEez said:

Oh not even close to Mafia 3. Mafia 3 is on a whole other level. Most of the bugs/issues with Mafia 2's Remaster are surface level however with how many there are & how frequently they can interrupt your play session, it gets extremely annoying fast

Shame, because I think the characters are good, the OST is great and it offers a good storyline. DLC you can take or leave though.

This is a PC port, it features bugs that are only present on the original PC, i.e. not PS3, version. So, yeah, technically PS3's version is superior but visually it isn't. If you want to play it for nostalgic reasons, play it. If it's your first contact with Mafia (2), play it on PS3, for your own good.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, woggly4 said:

This is a PC port, it features bugs that are only present on the original PC, i.e. not PS3, version. So, yeah, technically PS3's version is superior but visually it isn't. If you want to play it for nostalgic reasons, play it. If it's your first contact with Mafia (2), play it on PS3, for your own good.

True, it does look better than the PS3 version. Though when there is a plethora of visual glitches to boot such as outfits clipping into Vito's model during cutscenes, rendering issues, buildings/hud icons popping in & out of existence, I think even that small plus side of the visuals being better still falls flat because of the glitches. It's really upsetting as I absolutely love Mafia 2 & I heard it had issues on release on the PS4 so I waited until they were "fixed" like some of the launch issues were. I didn't know just how deep rooted the issues were though.

Fingers crossed Mafia 4 doesn't turn out bad, but with Hanger 13's recent track record I think we'd sooner see a fully blind person identify colors

I'm on chapter 12 and I've personally only had a few issues. Cutscene music that never stopped, a character being invisible in a cutscene, and 2 crashes. Maybe I'm lucky so far but I really don't think it's that bad. I knew what it was going into it (a visual upscaled port), so I didn't have super high expectations. Paid 10$ for it and I certainly feel it's worth the money just to revisit the title after a decade.

Edited by Skurkitty
  • Like 2

it's one of the worst remasters I've seen, and that says a lot because there are a lot of bad remasters

texture flickering issues, ruined original art direction, crashes, all the bugs/problems are left in

a game like this deserves better, it should've got the full remake Mafia 1 treatment, hopefully one day...

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I remember an issue in Mafia 1 Definitive Edition right after when the cutscene ends where Don Salieri told their boys to get some whiskey from the parking lot where you meet Gates.. damn, that noise were so loud even on low volume and it only stopped when I check the map. I had to exit the game and turn it on again to get rid of it. Also the controls in Mafia 2 seems a bit too sensitive while on foot

• Like 1

Mafia II is one of my favourite games, the remaster was horrendous though. Couldn’t believe all the bugs and glitches I was experiencing which I don’t remember ever having problems with on the original. Every time I drove on one of the bridges I would fall through the map endlessly, the texture flickering was a nightmare and I’m usually able to ignore issues like that. I had a lot of crashes as well. No idea how they messed it up that bad  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I finished this game last night and didn't have too many issues honestly. Never fell through the map and loved the game overall. The Vito/Joe duo was excellent. I'll definitely skip out on Mafia 3 though because that game is repetitive

Edited by Rin_TohsakaUBW

10 minutes ago, Rin_TohsakaUBW said:

I finished this game last night and didn't have too many issues honestly. Never fell through the map and loved the game overall. The Vito/Joe duo was excellent. I'll definitely skip out on Mafia 3 though because that game is repetitive

Did you play Mafia 3? Or are just repeating what some have said that played the game? I liked Mafia 3 and I played it at just the right time when there was a minimum of bugs and the new edition hadn't come out yet that fucked trophies.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 17.6.2022 at 9:24 PM, ObsiEez said:

Title says it all honestly. From the crashes, visual bugs, performance issues, things being locked on screen forcing you to restart the game. How in gods name did anyone at Hanger 13 or d3t say "Yep, this will live up to how amazing the original Mafia 2 was!". & to think it was even worse than this at launch....

If you want to experience Mafia 2, play it on PS3. The PS3 version is superior in just about every single aspect

I agree with you. Most important thing in game is that it works without fear of crashing and huge bugs. Mafia 2 has crashed many many critical moments when it definetly should not. On top of that they didn't do much for graphics. Graphics are just terrible! Compared to Mafia 1 remaster the first one was remastered beautifully and all worked smoothly and nice. I think that they just got tired with remastering Mafia 2 and cutted pretty much all corners they could cut. It's quite odd that the original PS3 version worked like a train without any huge problems.

• 5 months later...

I ran into several large bugs, but it was still worth the price of admission. (free psplus game)

**Spoilers**, continue at own risk. 

first was not being able to get on the ledge with joe on a rooftop. turns out there are some cops in the stairwell we exited that need to be killed before I can get on the ledge.  Had to look that up online because I spent too much time trying to use L1 to get on that ledge.

second issue was when going to warn Leo that Henry was on the way to kill him. the gate to leo's house had an invisible wall. I couldn't open the gate manually with vito or by crashing through it. Had to google this one too and it turns out that if you cut through the grass on the corner leading to leo's house, the gate won't open. I had tired several times repeating the mission before I learned this and indeed not cutting through the grass allowed me to get through the gate.

third, game crashed during Exit The Dragon when I was just about to the end of it.

beyond those three, there we a number of visual issues  ( not sure if any were in original, never played them)

- nearly every time i left my car the door stays open. makes it easier to find my car when coming back out of a building, but still seems like a bug. (unless there is a way to close it, didn't bother me enough to google it)

- bugged animation when stealing the stamps. when i went to strangle the security guard at the front desk the animation was disconnected from vito's strangle animation.

- in a cutscene with leo in the car near the end of the game, leo and vito's eyes are constantly looking to the extreme right/left.

other than that, can't say i noticed any other bugs beyond some weird clipping issues and scenery dropout while driving. 

the gameplay shooting controls for combat are just horrible. I often would take cover against a wall and when I would go to aim/lean around the wall, it would lean wrong direction. in general aiming was very hard to do as quickly as i needed too. I'm sure on a pc with a mouse combat is much easier. i never got used to the right analog aiming in this game, it was beyond frustrating at points. i think it would have been helpful to have a visual aid for where the crosshair would be when I lean out from cover. then I could modify that before i lean out with my right analog. the moment you lean out, the movement of the crosshair is too slow for you to do any kind of precision aiming before getting shot. 

all things considered, i enjoyed the game still. I had far more frustration in the first Mafia Definitive Edition - mainly that plane sequence.  

i'll probably play mafia 3 if it goes on psplus, but probably not otherwise.

Edited by ezekiel-yoder-jr

10 minutes ago, ezekiel-yoder-jr said:

I ran into several large bugs, but it was still worth the price of admission. (free psplus game)

**Spoilers**, continue at own risk. 

first was not being able to get on the ledge with joe on a rooftop. turns out there are some cops in the stairwell we exited that need to be killed before I can get on the ledge.  Had to look that up online because I spent too much time trying to use L1 to get on that ledge.

second issue was when going to warn Leo that Henry was on the way to kill him. the gate to leo's house had an invisible wall. I couldn't open the gate manually with vito or by crashing through it. Had to google this one too and it turns out that if you cut through the grass on the corner leading to leo's house, the gate won't open. I had tired several times repeating the mission before I learned this and indeed not cutting through the grass allowed me to get through the gate.

third, game crashed during Exit The Dragon when I was just about to the end of it.

beyond those three, there we a number of visual issues  ( not sure if any were in original, never played them)

- nearly every time i left my car the door stays open. makes it easier to find my car when coming back out of a building, but still seems like a bug. (unless there is a way to close it, didn't bother me enough to google it)

- bugged animation when stealing the stamps. when i went to strangle the security guard at the front desk the animation was disconnected from vito's strangle animation.

- in a cutscene with leo in the car near the end of the game, leo and vito's eyes are constantly looking to the extreme right/left.

other than that, can't say i noticed any other bugs beyond some weird clipping issues and scenery dropout while driving. 

the gameplay shooting controls for combat are just horrible. I often would take cover against a wall and when I would go to aim/lean around the wall, it would lean wrong direction. in general aiming was very hard to do as quickly as i needed too. I'm sure on a pc with a mouse combat is much easier. i never got used to the right analog aiming in this game, it was beyond frustrating at points. i think it would have been helpful to have a visual aid for where the crosshair would be when I lean out from cover. then I could modify that before i lean out with my right analog. the moment you lean out, the movement of the crosshair is too slow for you to do any kind of precision aiming before getting shot. 

all things considered, i enjoyed the game still. I had far more frustration in the first Mafia Definitive Edition - mainly that plane sequence.  

i'll probably play mafia 3 if it goes on psplus, but probably not otherwise.

Uh as of now all 3 of the Mafia games have been in ps+ lol it's how alot if people got to play them Mafia 3 was ages ago though and i dunno if they ever rerelease past plus games 

1 hour ago, leonhardyhardy said:

Oh damn, thats very unfortunate for people who never played it on PS3. I was a huge fan of the PS3 version. Im still half tempted to do the 4 version at some point just because the story is genuinely amazing

They managed to create a lot of bugs that were never in the original version. As I speak im staring at a frozen screen of a car exploding lol. 

I played the original on 360 and I think it's the best of the trilogy. DLCs are lame but the base game is great. Remaster isn't too shabby either. In fact, I don't recall experiencing many issues with the remaster, if any. I'm aware there were broken trophies at launch but I didn't play the remaster at launch so I can't speak to that. And IIRC the game is glitched in a good way regarding some of the DLC trophies.

It's obvious that both this and the Mafia III DE are cash grabs though. Mafia remake was coming out and 2K figured they'd make some extra dough by releasing "definitive" editions of the others, but all they did was undermine the remake because of the issues with these remasters.

Edited by Vault-TecPhantom
Meant Mafia III Definitive Edition, not remaster.