Trepidation about Starting this Game

UpTheIrons_87

I just upgraded to ps plus extra and i saw death stranding was included. I have always been curious about this game, and i love open world games. But i also want to platinum this game. I've been reading the forums and posts about this game, and it just all seems very confusing to me (building roads, ziplines, custom/standard deliveries etc.) 

I would assume there is a little bit of hand holding in this game to explain everything. There just seems to be a lot in this game, it looked overwhelming at time.

Quell my anxiety please :)

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, UpTheIrons_87 said:

I just upgraded to ps plus extra and i saw death stranding was included. I have always been curious about this game, and i love open world games. But i also want to platinum this game. I've been reading the forums and posts about this game, and it just all seems very confusing to me (building roads, ziplines, custom/standard deliveries etc.) 

I would assume there is a little bit of hand holding in this game to explain everything. There just seems to be a lot in this game, it looked overwhelming at time.

You'll learn as you go, so don't worry. 

Yeah, it's not overly complicated.  Basically the plat involves maxing out all the locations, so you have to deliver parcels to each location.  The best way of doing this is to build a road (predetermined, requires you to deliver materials to a terminal) or building a zipline network (laying down ziplines connected to each other to get from one place to another quickly).  The game explains custom vs standard deliveries as well.  Building out the zipline network was my favourite part of the game.

Everything else is pretty straight forward from what I remember.

• Like 1

Nothing's missable so prioritise finishing the story first, adding materials to the roads as you go and just getting a feel for the game, then focus on getting at least 3 stars to every location at first and building ziplines that connect to every one as much as you can, then go for getting 5 stars at every location and playing on hard to get legend of legends with the premium deliveries. It's basically postman simulator with ghosts and a lot of damn fun. My advice, build roads and ziplines and carry a floating carrier at all times, at least 3 PCC 2 containers and an extra pair of boots.

Edited by DreddPirateRobb

35 minutes ago, DreddPirateRobb said:

Nothing's missable so prioritise finishing the story first, adding materials to the roads as you go and just getting a feel for the game, then focus on getting at least 3 stars to every location at first and building ziplines that connect to every one as much as you can, then go for getting 5 stars at every location and playing on hard to get legend of legends with the premium deliveries. It's basically postman simulator with ghosts and a lot of damn fun. My advice, build roads and ziplines and carry a floating carrier at all times, at least 3 PCC 2 containers and an extra pair of boots.

42 minutes ago, Sanevin said:

Yeah, it's not overly complicated.  Basically the plat involves maxing out all the locations, so you have to deliver parcels to each location.  The best way of doing this is to build a road (predetermined, requires you to deliver materials to a terminal) or building a zipline network (laying down ziplines connected to each other to get from one place to another quickly).  The game explains custom vs standard deliveries as well.  Building out the zipline network was my favourite part of the game.

Everything else is pretty straight forward from what I remember.

1 hour ago, Fr_0zt said:

You'll learn as you go, so don't worry. 

These^

I did some research into this game before starting it but for the most part, it was just pick up and play and learn as you go :). Outside of a couple of confusing objectives I had to Google, this game didn't give me any trouble.

• Like 2

Platinum is pretty straight forward but it is time consuming and I imagine it can become very tedious if you don't fall in love with the game. I was expecting to be bored to death by the gameplay, but fortunately this wasn't the case and in fact I plan to go through the game again, once the new Plus launches in EU. But it is one of those games you'll either love or hate, from the gameplay perspective at least, and if you end up hating it, platinuming this game will probably feel like a chore. 

I looks intimidating before you actually play it, but the game does a great job of teaching you how to play it. Definitely prioritize setting up a zipline network though and try to use the zipline thingies that are already there, it makes a big difference. And it's incredibly satisfying, once you can just zipline through the whole map, remembering it took you an hour to put the zipline on that mountain... Good times. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, UpTheIrons_87 said:

As someone who just plat this game today I can tell you to be prepared for a quite a long grind. You will need to
1. Play on Hard 
2. Deliver as much cargo at a time to max rank quickly 
3.Building Zip-lines wont matter til pretty much end game (also wont need that much to be honest) 
4. Always deliver lost cargo 
5. You get special delivery bots USE THEM as much as you can 
6. Max rank as many Preppers and Distribution centres early one so you can minimise the grind later. 
7. Dont worry about picking up collectables as you need to max rank and then read certain emails to spawn them ( so leave til after story) 
8. Try to have podcasts,music or a movie in the background so you dont shoot yourself doing the end game delivery grind. 

GOOD LUCK. Its a fun time but a long road to platinum- took me 144 hours in total to do it. 

59 minutes ago, the1andonly654 said:

Platinum is pretty straight forward but it is time consuming and I imagine it can become very tedious if you don't fall in love with the game. I was expecting to be bored to death by the gameplay, but fortunately this wasn't the case and in fact I plan to go through the game again, once the new Plus launches in EU. But it is one of those games you'll either love or hate, from the gameplay perspective at least, and if you end up hating it, platinuming this game will probably feel like a chore. 

I looks intimidating before you actually play it, but the game does a great job of teaching you how to play it. Definitely prioritize setting up a zipline network though and try to use the zipline thingies that are already there, it makes a big difference. And it's incredibly satisfying, once you can just zipline through the whole map, remembering it took you an hour to put the zipline on that mountain... Good times. 

Tell me about it :). I spent many hours building and optimising my zipline and road network but it was well worth the time, money, effort and resources to complete them :).

Edited by HuntingFever
Fixed typo.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, the1andonly654 said:

This guy gets it. ??

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of buying the game and platting it but the hours have got me scared, and the whole likes thing, is there enough people playing still to get me to the required amount? im wondering if i should just play this game on my alt account. thoughts anyone?

28 minutes ago, PtxPwnage said:

I'm thinking of buying the game and platting it but the hours have got me scared, and the whole likes thing, is there enough people playing still to get me to the required amount? im wondering if i should just play this game on my alt account. thoughts anyone?

yes there are still people playing, way more than enough. in fact out of 5 aspects of Sam's porter level, 'Bridge Link' (the one leveled up by likes from other players) is naturally the one that is the highest and progresses the earliest and fastest. what you need to know is that 'likes from other players' are awarded by two means: by the game (it automatically send likes on behalf of other players) and manually (you spam the like button). the former is where the most of (almost exclusively, in fact) the likes come from. in my case, I probably only have ~1k manual player likes against 300-400k system-assigned player likes after 200+ hours. just build road when you have unlocked it (not very far in the story) and you'll see likes pouring in.

for structure sharing, the game has a database of people's structure and its placement across the map. what the game would do is to randomly assign some to your map based on your own progress. the online structures spawning in your map don't necessarily come from people who are still playing. there are a lot of online structures in my map built by players whom haven't logged in for over a year. so yeah, it's just database thing, not actual real-time online player interaction.

now the hours is entirely up to you. yes, expect 100 hours or more to plat this game if you're going in blind. it's not hard, just a lot of work. I wouldn't say it's grindy as well, because it's not repetitive enough in my book. if you are not confident that you can endure 100+ hours platting the game you don't enjoy, then I suggest you can use your alt account to play for an hour or two to see if you like it enough to spend that much time.

• Like 3

On 6/17/2022 at 3:19 PM, UpTheIrons_87 said:

I get what you mean. Before Death Stranding seemed strange yet also intriguing. However hearing some people refer to it as a walking simulator is not exactly something that is worth trying to get into. However, the parts of the game that I have played (still on episode 2) look intriguing and not to mention the graphics look beautiful. As for the story, I have yet to fully understand it however I imagine the more I play, the more I should understand it and appreciate it more.

Edited by Jermster_91

Death Stranding is definitely one of those games where you check the trophy list and hours required and think to yourself, oh this is a bit much. And you definitely feel that way when you start the game and you're only a few episodes in.

But trust me, the longer you play, the more you get familiar with the game and the more you build out the chiral network, the much less daunting it becomes.

Plus the story of the game is worth sticking with alone.

Edited by ScintillaWolf
  • Like 1