Sly *needs* to add a development team

4 hours ago, MikeCheck-- said:

The only *true* thing we can do to be heard is to not visit the site, or use it. Then he would notice because it'd hit him in the wallet.

Not really. When, at some point, the expenses exceed the income consecutively, Sly will just shut this page off. Think of it as a game: When people stop playing it the publisher will shut down the online servers.

I also run a tool that was a real timesink because I had to reverse engineer a lot (yes, PSNP is more of a platform but still a hobby project with the need of reverse engineering, so it's at least comparable-ish). On a side note I must add that I was very aware of the fact I might not be able to keep up the support, so my tool was (and is) entirely free with the option to buy me a beer. At first I fixed every issue, implemented every suggestion a user had. However, at some point, after several years, my hobby project, which was still working fine for me personally, became a chore because as people started to use my service they requested the edge case of the edge case. At some point I stopped implementing new stuff and just marked the project "as is" in my mind because I didn't have the time and mood anymore to basically continue my work after calling it a day in my RL-job in the same field. Is this bad? Yes, probably. But is it my full time job I can pay my bills with? No. When a hobby project becomes a chore it's better to stop. In my case, I didn't make people pay unless they wanted to thank my for the work I did not what they thought might happen in the future. And in fact, there are still users who use it, definitely not as much as here though. But this is also true for PSNP. vvvvv

4 hours ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

how does that help the ppl who already paid for a lifetime subscription?

When I bought lifetime I did because I was happy with the platform at the moment of my payment, not because I expected new features in the future. And if I could rewind time I'd still buy that lifetime account.

Having said that, PSNP is a whole lot different than what I just described. Because Sly is actually still running this site, not just collecting money from ads, new lifetime accounts or subscriptions. All the fixes, improvements etc in the background nobody really sees. To keep a website running is also a lot of work. And when you don't have the time, passion or mood after your RL-job to implement new features it quickly looks like "you're not doing anything", even if that isn't true. Plus the fact that you can't please anyone. If you run a platform this big you need to consider more than once what you really want to implement and which idea you should scrap immediately.

From a developer perspective I absolutely can see why Sly doesn't want to hire a dev-team. Because it was hard work to get where he is. Any serious developer could possibly build something like PSNP, investing multiple months to a year, and I wouldn't want to give away this knowledge in an instant by hiring "someone". In fact, Sly would need to set up an NDA and would need to have the funds to enforce it if someone would violate it. Which would also cost money that you can't just waste on a project that isn't paying the bills.

In the end I'd rather have PSNP as it is right now than having it not at all. However, if Sly ever decides to let people help him, developing-wise, I'd be more than happy to be one of them. Be it the website or a possible mobile application.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, woggly4 said:

Not really. When, at some point, the expenses exceed the income consecutively, Sly will just shut this page off. Think of it as a game: When people stop playing it the publisher will shut down the online servers.

I also run a tool that was a real timesink because I had to reverse engineer a lot (yes, PSNP is more of a platform but still a hobby project with the need of reverse engineering, so it's at least comparable-ish). On a side note I must add that I was very aware of the fact I might not be able to keep up the support, so my tool was (and is) entirely free with the option to buy me a beer. At first I fixed every issue, implemented every suggestion a user had. However, at some point, after several years, my hobby project, which was still working fine for me personally, became a chore because as people started to use my service they requested the edge case of the edge case. At some point I stopped implementing new stuff and just marked the project "as is" in my mind because I didn't have the time and mood anymore to basically continue my work after calling it a day in my RL-job in the same field. Is this bad? Yes, probably. But is it my full time job I can pay my bills with? No. When a hobby project becomes a chore it's better to stop. In my case, I didn't make people pay unless they wanted to thank my for the work I did not what they thought might happen in the future. And in fact, there are still users who use it, definitely not as much as here though. But this is also true for PSNP. vvvvv

When I bought lifetime I did because I was happy with the platform at the moment of my payment, not because I expected new features in the future. And if I could rewind time I'd still buy that lifetime account.

Having said that, PSNP is a whole lot different than what I just described. Because Sly is actually still running this site, not just collecting money from ads, new lifetime accounts or subscriptions. All the fixes, improvements etc in the background nobody really sees. To keep a website running is also a lot of work. And when you don't have the time, passion or mood after your RL-job to implement new features it quickly looks like "you're not doing anything", even if that isn't true. Plus the fact that you can't please anyone. If you run a platform this big you need to consider more than once what you really want to implement and which idea you should scrap immediately.

From a developer perspective I absolutely can see why Sly doesn't want to hire a dev-team. Because it was hard work to get where he is. Any serious developer could possibly build something like PSNP, investing multiple months to a year, and I wouldn't want to give away this knowledge in an instant by hiring "someone". In fact, Sly would need to set up an NDA and would need to have the funds to enforce it if someone would violate it. Which would also cost money that you can't just waste on a project that isn't paying the bills.

In the end I'd rather have PSNP as it is right now than having it not at all. However, if Sly ever decides to let people help him, developing-wise, I'd be more than happy to be one of them. Be it the website or a possible mobile application.

You and @HusKy sound the dream team..

• Like 1

• 9 months later...