I'm mainly eyeing this for the Darkstalkers port

Will I be disappointed?

I'm not a pro at fighting games but I enjoy the Darkstalkers series for its characters and sillyness. Is this a better offer than Darkstalkers on PS3? I heard there are many different versions of the games in the series, with different rosters/maps/soundtracks

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Clavietka said:

Will I be disappointed?

I'm not a pro at fighting games but I enjoy the Darkstalkers series for its characters and sillyness. Is this a better offer than Darkstalkers on PS3? I heard there are many different versions of the games in the series, with different rosters/maps/soundtracks

DS Resurrection included Night Warriors and DS3. This game features all the games in the DS series, including those never before released in the US. So you will get a lot more game content here compared to DSR.  Think of it as three full DS games, with different soundtracks and stages and progressively larger rosters, as well as two variant versions with some smaller changes.

If you like the uniqueness of Darkstalkers,  you may also enjoy Red Earth.  I have played it in arcades and it has a lot of depth for a boss rush title.  Characters level up and gain new moves as they progress, so playing through repeatedly with the same characters will feel like a different experience each time, and each character has at least two endings in arcade mode so there is plenty of replay value.

Edited by MvComedy
  • Like 1

Resurrection will probably always be better than any arcade port collection like this. It was an enhanced port with new features added that aren't present in any other version of the game. They also reworked the game to feel as good as possible, rather than just doing a straight port. There's no telling how good or bad the port in the collection will be. It could end up being like the Street Fighter Anniversary collection, which was just awful. It's just like how 3rd Strike Online is way better than any other version of that game, it's the same here.

That being said, the fighting collection is a better deal overall, assuming they all run properly. The other games included are definitely worth your time. Especially Cyberbots and Pocket Fighter.

As an owner of the Vampire: the Darkstalkers Collection (PS2 compilation of all Vampire series) I'm afraid to be disappointed just like I was with SF: 30th Anniversary Collection. But since I never touched Warzard/Red Earth and being a sucker for Capcom of old I preordered this in a heartbeat anyway. And it's great to have a platinum for this release!

Edited by VegaMan-X4

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Now that the game and reviews are out, how did u guys like it, specially in regards to the treatment given to Darkstalkers and its fidelity?

I read here that Darkstalkers Resurection brought in some improvements that this new collection does not have? What improvements are these? I was always scared to attempt its platinum because of the challenges.

And what about the SF 30th anniversary collection (for which I have a Platinum) not being good? Are the ports inferior to the original? I know that the net code is shitty, but Im not into multiplayer. Is the SF III 3rd Strike version there not representative of the real thing? 

Thanks in advance

• 8 months later...

Sorry to bump this old thread but I'm actually also very interested about this. I see that the last post hasn't been answered yet so would like the chance to bring this up again and ask how Darkstalkers in this collection compares to DSR on the PS3. I never had the chance to play DS in it's original form as it was not available in my area, so I'm thinking about getting either DSR on the PS3 or this right now. Personally I'm leaning towards the latter also because of Red Earth. But if DS on this collection really is much inferior to DSR then I would reconsider. Hence I'd be grateful for feedback on this matter.^^

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2023 at 11:35 PM, Ivotas said:

Sorry to bump this old thread but I'm actually also very interested about this. I see that the last post hasn't been answered yet so would like the chance to bring this up again and ask how Darkstalkers in this collection compares to DSR on the PS3. I never had the chance to play DS in it's original form as it was not available in my area, so I'm thinking about getting either DSR on the PS3 or this right now. Personally I'm leaning towards the latter also because of Red Earth. But if DS on this collection really is much inferior to DSR then I would reconsider. Hence I'd be grateful for feedback on this matter.^^

https://darkstalkers.fandom.com/wiki/Capcom_Fighting_Collection

The versions of the games used are listed there. They're the arcade versions with some added bug fixes.

• Like 2

On 3/26/2023 at 6:35 AM, Ivotas said:

Speaking Darkstalkers specifically, this collection is somewhat better than Resurrection (PS3 pack of DS2 and DS3) in my opinion but still worse than Japan-exclusive PS2 collection (which was very well done for its time. For the reference think Street Fighter Alpha Anthology of PS2 era but slightly better).

In terms of pros and cons, Resurrection is probably better at online component and added extra modes (combo challenges, training) though the interface is kinda meh. While PS4 release pretty much gives you arcade roms (both regions) without much overhaul interference and gently integrated "quality of life" options (which i suppose is much better for pure and original single-player and offline versus sessions).

Regarding the entire collection, I've no idea what you're waiting for if you're even remotely interested. It's a great compilation of generally underrated games for any fighting game enthusiast that provides both style (visual) and variety. Way better treated than SF 30th Anniversary debacle.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

https://darkstalkers.fandom.com/wiki/Capcom_Fighting_Collection

The versions of the games used are listed there. They're the arcade versions with some added bug fixes.

Thank you very much.^^

14 hours ago, VegaMan-X4 said:

Speaking Darkstalkers specifically, this collection is somewhat better than Resurrection (PS3 pack of DS2 and DS3) in my opinion but still worse than Japan-exclusive PS2 collection (which was very well done for its time. For the reference think Street Fighter Alpha Anthology of PS2 era but slightly better).

In terms of pros and cons, Resurrection is probably better at online component and added extra modes (combo challenges, training) though the interface is kinda meh. While PS4 release pretty much gives you arcade roms (both regions) without much overhaul interference and gently integrated "quality of life" options (which i suppose is much better for pure and original single-player and offline versus sessions).

That's a very important point you raise there. I'm definitely more into single player so that alone makes me prefer the Fighting Collection. And everything elso you say only cements my opinion even further. Thank you very much.

14 hours ago, VegaMan-X4 said:

Regarding the entire collection, I've no idea what you're waiting for if you're even remotely interested. It's a great compilation of generally underrated games for any fighting game enthusiast that provides both style (visual) and variety. Way better treated than SF 30th Anniversary debacle.

I think I've already heard that people labelled the SF 30th Anniversary collection a debacle. Just out of curiosity, what exactly made it bad? About the Fighting Collection I guess you sold me on it mate.^^

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ivotas said:

I think I've already heard that people labelled the SF 30th Anniversary collection a debacle. Just out of curiosity, what exactly made it bad? About the Fighting Collection I guess you sold me on it mate.^^

Haven't played it in a while so my comment would be kinda vague as I don't remember every single detail from this specific release, more like general idea/commentary or something. First of all, Digital Eclipse is possibly the worst classics compilation-maker out there. I got issues with pretty much every product they made which I bought (aside from Blizzard Arcade Collection maybe). The software shell they made over and over again is generally crap and extras like gallery or music player lack basic functions those apps should commonly have (think continuos play, fade-out, shuffle, etc.), earlier games (Mega Man Legacy Collection, Disney Afternoon) tend to crash while browsing the menus - yeah, that kinda crap. Their 8-bit emulation "engine" suffers from slowdowns and immense flickering (do me a favor - compare anything they released on that front with ITL's handling of Kunio-kun/Double Dragon Collection, you'll understand). These people lack basic understanding of comfort and quality. Why do they still get jobs (aside from being on the market for awhile and being located "close to the game-dev kitchen" in California) is beyond me to be honest.

Regarding SF30thAC, the dumbest thing I recall (and it's a big one) is inability to assign PPP and KKK (3 simultaneous inputs) to one button - something Capcom itself made sure to include in every single port of their fighting games since the the invention of PlayStation controller. And simply terrible handling of online matchmaking (which isn't integrated into each game like it's ideally supposed to but goes through their atrocious client interface).

Anyway, sorry for the rant. The other thing SF30thAC lacks is Street Fighter Alpha/Zero 3 Upper - an updated version of SFA3 with additional content (which was present in SFA Anthology for PS2 by the way). All in all this collection is lackluster and a major disappointmet to me (aside from finally having early releases in SFIII being available outside of Dreamcast console). They just took a bunch of their old roms and threw it together without much (if any) effort. If you don't count a PowerPoint presentation interface as an effort of course.

P.S.

Unlike SF Collection, Capcom Fighting Collection is actually worth it. Unfortunately I'm having some issues with both my controllers at the moment so I had to put it away for now but some of its games are a blast to get back to. Have fun!

Edited by VegaMan-X4
  • Like 2

@VegaMan-X4 Thank you very much for the detailed explenation. Even if you say it's from what you vaguely remember it makes it easy for me to understand why it's not a good collection. And really good to know that the Capcom Fighting Collection is not like that. Your feedback is much appreciated.^^

• Like 1