Final Fantasy 16 not open world

Infected Elite

https://www.ign.com/articles/final-fantasy-16-open-world

Also From Gematsu:

Naoki Yoshida interviews:

- Protagonist Clive has an arsenal of powerful attacks and abilities based off traditional Final Fantasy summons, which can be cycled through in real-time, enabling powerful combination attacks. After Clive claims an Eikon’s (summon’s) power, he will be able to unlock its abilities in an “ability tree” through points earned in battle.

- There will be times where the player controls an Eikon in real-time, battling other Eikons. Each Eikon vs. Eikon battle is unique. One may be reminiscent of a 3D shooter, while another may be more like a pro wrestling match, while a third may transform the entire arena into a battle field. Each will have slight differences in user interface as well.

- Clive will be accompanied by one or more companions for most of his journey, who will participate in battle, as well as banter with Clive. These party members will be AI-controlled.

The wolf-pup from the first trailer is named Torgal. As for whether Torgal will eventually play a role in combat, Yoshida said to “wait and see.”

- Creative Business Unit III chose a medieval fantasy style theme for Final Fantasy XVI becasue much of its core members, including Yoshida, simply enjoyed that style the most.

- The game uses an “independent area-based game design that can give players a better feel of a truly ‘global’ scale,” and is not open-world.

The game will be “a complete experience” at launch, and there are currently no plans for other tertiary content.

- Players will follow the life of Clive through three stages: his teens, his 20s, and his 30s.

- Final Fantasy XVI is currently fully playable from start to finish, but voice-overs in multiple languages still need to be recorded, and as it is a very action-oriented game, much play testing is required to fine-tune difficulty, put the final touches on cutscenes, and for full-scale debugging.

- A third trailer is planned for release this fall, which will concentrate more on the world, lore, and storyline.

Edited by Infected Elite
Updated info.
  • Like 2

The dude in charge on Final Fantasy XIV is working on this one, and FFXIV has a similar "area based" open world that it sounds like they're going to use in XVI.  So it's not a seamless open world, and can make the game feel like you're hitting every corner of a planet in variety of locales, and not just a single large land mass.  Which is a good thing.

My main problem with that is it becomes incredibly predictable.  Go to one map, do a thing, beat the boss, go to the next map, do a thing, beat the boss, go to the next map, etc.  FFXIV has a similar problem but these things are a bit less noticeable/cumbersome when you're chatting with friends, queuing for content, on top of playing through the story... and that's kind of expected in a MMO... and even then it still gets tiring fast IMO.

I'd love it if games could go back to the faux open world but actually very linear of the PS1 era Final Fantasy's.  Where progress through the world felt open but happened very intentionally and organically... driven by the story (at first) and not forced wanderlust.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TJ_Solo said:

It still means that whatever world design they use still has to be effective and well designed.

Not being open world doesn't solve anything. It neither "fixes" open world design nor does it fix the issues in linear design.

While true, i think it could benefit from that "semi-open" area style that games like Tales of Xillia and Arise had. But have open world like XV... ill pass. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

Most fans aren't going to take this as a negative. 15 likely only had it to start with due to all the heat they took for 13 being largely a long corridor, heat which no longer exists.

XV also took heat because it looked so much better as Versus 13. Once they shifted it... replaced Stella with Luna, made Noctis go from looking badass on his throne to a bum in a boy band.... 

then yah as you said with 13 as well. 

But this is a win for us. Im just curious if we only get Clive as a party member

• Like 3

As much as I loved FFXV, I really would prefer having more linear gameplay, with the occasional areas of exploration. Kind of what FFX did, it was linear for the most part, but it had a few areas where you could go around exploring a bit with the side content and such.

FF13 was just linear done in a boring way.

• Like 2

Just now, Infected Elite said:

XV also took heat because it looked so much better as Versus 13. Once they shifted it... replaced Stella with Luna, made Noctis go from looking badass on his throne to a bum in a boy band.... 

then yah as you said with 13 as well. 

But this is a win for us. Im just curious if we only get Clive as a party member

My experience with that Noctis was people liked the cutscene shown, but wrote Noctis off as an edgelord. Later stuff that revised things was met with "so when is this actually going to come out". By 15 most were just relieved the thing actually came out. Though all this was a long time ago so perhaps others had a different experience.

He is apparently the only human party member but I think the summons are playable too.

• Like 2

I am still lost as to when Open world (Metroid, Symphony of the Night, Darksiders, Legacy of Kain Blood: Omen/Soul Reaver) became synonymous with sandbox (GTA, Minecraft, Saints Row, etc). As Open World used to mean (and I still use this definition) "Open the world" which is most games. The so-called Metroid-Vania (which refers to Castlevania games that play like Metroid) is Open World as you "open the world" through progress of items, abilities, or story.

So would not that make Final Fantasy 16 still "open world" just like 1-9 and 10/12 to some degree? I think the confusion came around due to either message boards or journalist.

So an Open World Final Fantasy does not bother me as Final Fantasy 1-9 were open world and a lot of the games i like are open world. If it had been a sandbox then I would probably just pass as I find sandbox games like Grand Theft Auto boring.