Final Fantasy 16 not open world

Infected Elite

On 6/22/2022 at 6:20 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

Uh…

….virtually every response here so far is somewhere between neutral and positive though…

true that. But I sometimes feel that people here are kinda in a niche and the opinions will be different for mainstream players..

On 6/24/2022 at 7:31 AM, Rozalia1 said:

5/7 of the people who mentioned 13 before your post played 13-2. The second game was better yes, but it sold half what the 1st one did and could not repair the brand. 13-3 then sold half what the second one did and destroyed any goodwill the second game built up.

Sad. Is it the reason FF XV became that open world borefest?

On 23/06/2022 at 4:16 AM, Infected Elite said:

replaced Stella with Luna,

The only upgrade from Versus XIII.

I'm fine with XVI not being open world. It's better for Square Enix to punch in their weight division while retaining decent amounts of creative initiative. With the kind of studios they have, 'hub worlds' are the safest size they can scale up to, without making the development of a game eight years or something. Hajime Tabata underestimated the struggle of his predecessors by locking XV to be open world for the sake of 'modernising'. By the time we were at 2016, AAA open world games were showing cracks with Andromeda and XV being the first poster boys for it.

Edited by Eraezr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Maverick6146 said:

Sad. Is it the reason FF XV became that open world borefest?

Generally thought to be the reason yes. 13 was heavily damaging and memed for being a straight line so the best way to counter that built up negativity was to put forward a game that wasn't. Both of the other 13 games couldn't get rid of the negativity as they both had the stink of being a 13 game on them.

I wouldn't however say that it was the only reason. 15 got an even bigger push than 13 did with the anime they had made for it, the movie, a book, the huge amount of DLC they planned (which we only got half), and all the cross promotion across a number of games that even included an Assassins Creed. So 15 being open world would have been part of making the game "grander" and "bigger" to tie all of this multimedia stuff together.

Yeah had they kept most ideas for Versus 13 in 15 and tweaked/renamed it, it prob be fine but they didnt. Having only Noctis playable was shitty although he had the cool moves etc (FF16 confirmed you only play as Clive).

Remember the 13V trailer, running up buildings, escaping a city  GIANT Behemoth was destroying? yep. Gone. For a bland open world, with only some troops, dinosaur things, and the mammoth looking hairy things as enemies. Every major FF enemy time was a story boss..... Definitely brought it down imo.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't say im upset about not being Open-World. I really enjoyed FFXV but the actual content f its world was not great. NOt saying SE cant do it but it sounds like they know their limitations and seeing as they want the whole world to be a stage with time skips it makes sense why why wouldn't try again at an open-world. 

21 minutes ago, JPtheNeurotic said:

I can't say im upset about not being Open-World. I really enjoyed FFXV but the actual content f its world was not great. NOt saying SE cant do it but it sounds like they know their limitations and seeing as they want the whole world to be a stage with time skips it makes sense why why wouldn't try again at an open-world. 

i see it being more like a Tales game. Just smaller connected areas. Tales of Arise and Tales of Xillia 1 had a great map imo. FF16 could go that route and i would be happy.

1 hour ago, Infected Elite said:

i see it being more like a Tales game. Just smaller connected areas. Tales of Arise and Tales of Xillia 1 had a great map imo. FF16 could go that route and i would be happy.

Yeah I fully expected a varied set of Zones that create a sense of a world. Like FF12. Only thing that sucks is this kinda limits traversal options outsides of chobocos. Its been so long since we got a controllable airship.

I think DQ8/11 had the best compromise for a modern "world map" but idk. I doubt Square wants to go back to anything resembling the abstract over-worlds since they don't fit in-line with their modern presentation for FF.

I prefer the traditional FF games and linear ones as well like FFX and XIII, so it being not open world is a relief to me. I prefer condensed areas and maps, I find open world to be too overwhelming. My favourite FF's are linear anyway, so I'll likely enjoy this

Open World games are my favorite, so I'm a huge supporter of them. But the open world in FF15 was half assed garbage that barely felt like an open world. While I don't mind that this isn't Open World...if they actually took the time to put some real thought into it, I personally wouldn't see it as a bad thing. 

• 10 months later...

This doesn’t bother me that much, but what does is not being able to just move between areas naturally and being taken to the map each time. Even in a situation like 

Spoiler

Garuda, you start in a field full of her… idk, clones or whatever, and work your way toward the tornado she created and then… the map. 

Moments like that it’s silly to do it this way. Just load up the next cutscene and let me keep going. 

On 6/21/2023 at 0:55 PM, FlareZero said:

Thanks god it doesen't have the Open World, this open world mania must stop, better a game with small/big areas.

Honestly the majority of the time I see a game with an open world these days my energy and motivation toward the game is sapped.

The idea of quantity over quality in gaming has seemingly far and away become most prevalent school of thought and I'll never understand it.