Trophy Thoughts

It took me around 90 hours to platinum the game pre-launch: Review here - https://www.gamepitt.co.uk/ai-the-somnium-files-nirvana-initiative-ps5-review-via-ps4-bc/

With no guides, support, or hints, it took me approx 80-90 hours, in-game it says over 100 (it stops at 99:99:59), but I did leave the game on playing music whilst I did other things on a number of occasions. Another person who was reviewing it on PC also took 119 hours to complete it with all the trophies.

Obviously, if you start skipping things, following guides (which officially shouldn't appear online until mid-July from those who got review codes), and getting help with the more cryptic trophies, you'll probably take half the time we did. Regarding the 'mid-July' comment, there are certain things that those who accepted the early code can't talk about until a week after the EU launch, so they can either release partial guides or wait until then.

I personally loved trying to figure it all out for myself - it reminded me of pre-internet days where all you had was patience and determination to complete everything.

Regarding the trophy list, it's straightforward. you can use the flow chart to return to any previous chapter and scene for things you've missed, it even has a handy tally to let you know which Somniums you've missed the time challenge in or how many eyeballs you still need to find. I really liked this game, it's a little confusing but it becomes clear as you get further into the story. There's even a nice nod towards the producer's previous series' :)

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, turniplord said:

It took me around 90 hours to platinum the game pre-launch: Review here - https://www.gamepitt.co.uk/ai-the-somnium-files-nirvana-initiative-ps5-review-via-ps4-bc/

With no guides, support, or hints, it took me approx 80-90 hours, in-game it says over 100 (it stops at 99:99:59), but I did leave the game on playing music whilst I did other things on a number of occasions. Another person who was reviewing it on PC also took 119 hours to complete it with all the trophies.

Obviously, if you start skipping things, following guides (which officially shouldn't appear online until mid-July from those who got review codes), and getting help with the more cryptic trophies, you'll probably take half the time we did. Regarding the 'mid-July' comment, there are certain things that those who accepted the early code can't talk about until a week after the EU launch, so they can either release partial guides or wait until then.

I personally loved trying to figure it all out for myself - it reminded me of pre-internet days where all you had was patience and determination to complete everything.

Regarding the trophy list, it's straightforward. you can use the flow chart to return to any previous chapter and scene for things you've missed, it even has a handy tally to let you know which Somniums you've missed the time challenge in or how many eyeballs you still need to find. I really liked this game, it's a little confusing but it becomes clear as you get further into the story. There's even a nice nod towards the producer's previous series' :)

Hey thanks a lot for this! I actually found a full walk-through guide on Steam for the story I was considering using, but I think I'd actually like the feeling of just trying to figure things out! 

If you played the original, would you say this one is just as good or better?

49 minutes ago, turniplord said:

What makes it take that long to platinum? other than what seems to be the grindy trophy of the eyeballs and just the afk time 

I just picked up my collector's edition for this game. Although I will admit I didn't really like the first game as much as other VNs out there, but I'm still looking forward to this one! Won't be able to start it for a few days as I have other games I want to finish first but it should be an interesting ride!

5 hours ago, MysticalSylph said:

Hey thanks a lot for this! I actually found a full walk-through guide on Steam for the story I was considering using, but I think I'd actually like the feeling of just trying to figure things out! 

If you played the original, would you say this one is just as good or better?

Tutt Tutt, there shouldn't be any guides until mid-July. I can't imagine a walkthrough or guide on how to obtain certain trophies being possible considering the things everyone agreed wouldn't be talked about or shown prior to the launch in all regions. If SC sees it, they'll probably not get codes off them in the future. It's also effectively posting spoilers, so I'd advise reading any guides if wanting to discover the story yourself :)

5 hours ago, Yuna4353 said:

What makes it take that long to platinum? other than what seems to be the grindy trophy of the eyeballs and just the afk time 

I honestly don't know - I became absorbed within the game, clicking on everything in every scene, listening and choosing every dialogue option, pestering Kagami many, many times whenever he was there, etc... 

A lot of time was spent backtracking looking for the eyeballs, one took me almost four hours to find as I simply couldn't find it and had to replay the Somnium over and over - thankfully you can replay them with infinite time once you've completed the chapter. I got stumped on maybe two or three puzzles, which took up a little time, but most of them were straightforward. I also spent a long time on the Tamagotchi mini-game before I realised that the 20-minute timer between interactions is removed once you complete the game. 

I also gave up on looking at trophies before I play a game a long time ago, so I basically play through the game, and then had to go offline to see what I hadn't unlocked, which meant going back and figuring out what scenes would contain the trophies I need - something you can avoid if you know what to look for beforehand.

Basically, others may do it faster, but having the game pre-release with literally no hints or help meant it took longer than usual - this happen to me with other games such as Sherlock Holmes Chapter One, the first Somnium Files, and others.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, turniplord said:

I honestly don't know - I became absorbed within the game, clicking on everything in every scene, listening and choosing every dialogue option, pestering Kagami many, many times whenever he was there, etc... 

A lot of time was spent backtracking looking for the eyeballs, one took me almost four hours to find as I simply couldn't find it and had to replay the Somnium over and over - thankfully you can replay them with infinite time once you've completed the chapter. I got stumped on maybe two or three puzzles, which took up a little time, but most of them were straightforward. I also spent a long time on the Tamagotchi mini-game before I realised that the 20-minute timer between interactions is removed once you complete the game. 

I also gave up on looking at trophies before I play a game a long time ago, so I basically play through the game, and then had to go offline to see what I hadn't unlocked, which meant going back and figuring out what scenes would contain the trophies I need - something you can avoid if you know what to look for beforehand.

Basically, others may do it faster, but having the game pre-release with literally no hints or help meant it took longer than usual - this happen to me with other games such as Sherlock Holmes Chapter One, the first Somnium Files, and others.

That is fair these games do depend on how further you are, and I am going without a guide too so some things will be finding on my own.

Your description @turniplord doesn't make it sound like a 90-100 hour unless you're trying to platinum without any help. You mentioning it taking 4 hours to find an eyeball for example would take a few minutes for others as they'd be able to simply find a text/video guide that would show it.

I'll personally be doing it blind until it ends and clean up after all the story content is done, something I'd advise everyone does as these games are so easy to spoil yourself on if you look up trophy details.

2 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

Your description @turniplord doesn't make it sound like a 90-100 hour unless you're trying to platinum without any help. You mentioning it taking 4 hours to find an eyeball for example would take a few minutes for others as they'd be able to simply find a text/video guide that would show it.

I'll personally be doing it blind until it ends and clean up after all the story content is done, something I'd advise everyone does as these games are so easy to spoil yourself on if you look up trophy details.

That's why I said things like "Obviously, if you start skipping things, following guides (which officially shouldn't appear online until mid-July from those who got review codes), and getting help with the more cryptic trophies, you'll probably take half the time we did "

I had the game about 10 days before launch so no guides, people to talk to, hints, etc... But, now it's out there it'll be much faster unless you devote yourself to not searching for any help and doing it 100% on your own. Also, I had a lot of backtracking because the trophies weren't live and I didn't bother going offline to view them, so I just played the game and then went back to grab the trophies - a number of which required me to reply quite a few scenes a couple of times.

• Like 1

What threw me off with your comment is you mentioning skipping and that would help halve the time. It makes it sound like you're saying that skipping everything and using a guide would get it down to 40 hours, which would thereby imply that not skipping (and using a guide at the end) would be 60-70 hours.

I imagine what you mean is not having to do all the searching you did would bring it down to 40-50 hours. Skipping everything on top would bring it down to 10-15 hours. That about right?

18 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

What threw me off with your comment is you mentioning skipping and that would help halve the time. It makes it sound like you're saying that skipping everything and using a guide would get it down to 40 hours, which would thereby imply that not skipping (and using a guide at the end) would be 60-70 hours.

I imagine what you mean is not having to do all the searching you did would bring it down to 40-50 hours. Skipping everything on top would bring it down to 10-15 hours. That about right?

I don't think you'd be able to bring it down to 10-15. Even the 'fastest' person on here atm is at around 2-3 days (impossible to know how much they played each day though). I guess we'll know when more people finish the game and the stats update - however,  I don't know why anyone would play the game and opt to simply skip through all the dialogue and story, it kinda defeats the point in playing the game.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, turniplord said:

I don't think you'd be able to bring it down to 10-15. Even the 'fastest' person on here atm is at around 2-3 days (impossible to know how much they played each day though). I guess we'll know when more people finish the game and the stats update - however,  I don't know why anyone would play the game and opt to simply skip through all the dialogue and story, it kinda defeats the point in playing the game.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to unless the game simply has a huge amount of content or a bad text/scene skip. I agree yeah, pretty pointless to get this and then skip everything, though there are multiple stacks so if someone is stacking then they're not losing anything with skipping.

Anyway, wasn't taking a dig at you or whatever with my initial comment. A bit of your post just seemed to give the wrong impression to me and I wanted to clear it up.