Gaming for the Animals [EVENT HAS CONCLUDED]

Maybe it's just me, and anyone can call me out on this considering I was thinking of using Bugsnax, but I feel like for an event involving animals that are endangered and such, games all about hunting down animals kind of seem a little off putting? if that makes sense at all. Again can call me out on this I just wonder if it's in the spirit of the event.

3 hours ago, Xylobe said:

In my experience, a point system can quickly make an event more complicated than it needs to be. To keep with the spirit of the event, I think excluding games that only feature animals as enemies or set dressing would make sense.

This is a good point, thanks for the input. I think I'm leaning towards this as well :)

1 hour ago, Sylvanticore said:

Maybe it's just me, and anyone can call me out on this considering I was thinking of using Bugsnax, but I feel like for an event involving animals that are endangered and such, games all about hunting down animals kind of seem a little off putting? if that makes sense at all. Again can call me out on this I just wonder if it's in the spirit of the event.

I must be missing something, is there another game that's being thrown around here that does that? I also didn't really know Bugsnax was about something similar D:

Edited by MissShake

18 minutes ago, MissShake said:

I must be missing something, is there another game that's being thrown around here that does that? I also didn't really know Bugsnax was about something similar D:

Well in Bugsnax as you can guess, you eat the bugsnax, there is more to that but that is spoilers :) But I was just refering to people wanting to use games were you hunt animals or have to kill animals.

21 minutes ago, MissShake said:

Important update, please read!

After some careful consideration, I think I'm going to become a little bit more picky than I have been when talking about games that can be utilized for this event. Games where an animal is in the background will no longer count! This means that if an animal is just sort of set dressing than it will NOT count as a vote.

The point is that we want to celebrate animals with this event, so the animal needs to be a MAIN FEATURE of the game. Animal enemies, for example, are no longer something that can be utilized for this event. Sorry if this upsets anyone participating, but again, the point is to celebrate animals!

Just wanna check: Globox: Yay or Nay,

Argument of Yay, described as a frog/toad like creature, Protagonist.

Argument for Nay, Secondary main character, the wiki describes his species as "Globox's Species." 

300px-Globox_RL.png

Also, Ape Escape: Animals are undeniably a main part of that game, and are considered enemies, I got some pro/cons again:

Pros: Apes are captured non-lethally, It could be argued that the mind control helmets are the enemy.

Cons: You can hit them with a big stick, again... ememies...

17 minutes ago, breakingthegreen said:

Just wanna check: Globox: Yay or Nay,

Argument of Yay, described as a frog/toad like creature, Protagonist.

Argument for Nay, Secondary main character, the wiki describes his species as "Globox's Species." 

300px-Globox_RL.png

Also, Ape Escape: Animals are undeniably a main part of that game, and are considered enemies, I got some pro/cons again:

Pros: Apes are captured non-lethally, It could be argued that the mind control helmets are the enemy.

Cons: You can hit them with a big stick, again... ememies...

Globox: yes it counts. Again, Spyro is a fictional animal. So fictional animals count.

Ape Escape: do the apes become friendly or anything like that after being freed from the helmets?

Edited by MissShake

So I'm gonna get started on this today, won't complete any until after the start date but these are what I'm going to try and get done during the time frame.

• Bugsnax (If still allowed)
  • Crash 2
  • Crash 3
  • Darksiders 2 (MissShake said was okay since your horse and crow "Dusk" are support characters)
  • Lego Jurassic World
  • Okami
  • Sonic Mania
  • Sonic Forces
  • Sonic Colours
Edited by Sylvanticore

1 minute ago, MissShake said:

Globox: yes it counts. Again, Spyro is a fictional animal. So fictional animals count.

Ape Escape: do the apes become friendly or anything like that after being freed from the helmets?

For the ape escape question, it's unseen but with the helmets gone, they should revert to ordinary monkeys... 

Just googled the 100% ending

Spoiler

Spectre is so cute when he's not trying to kill me,

hqdefault.jpg

Which confirms that they become friendly without those helmets in the first game at least.

2 hours ago, Sylvanticore said:

Bugsnax (If still allowed)

Full disclosure, I'm rethinking Bugsnax. I didn't know you um... Eat them. I know nothing about the game, clearly lol

2 hours ago, breakingthegreen said:

For the ape escape question, it's unseen but with the helmets gone, they should revert to ordinary monkeys... 

Just googled the 100% ending

Reveal hidden contents

Spectre is so cute when he's not trying to kill me,

hqdefault.jpg

Which confirms that they become friendly without those helmets in the first game at least.

I'll let it slide then. Players are saving them in a very 90s way, but at least they're being saved!

• Like 1

Cool idea for an event! I'm in! Not sure how many games I'll be able to finish that month, but I should be able to get at least one done. There's a certain animal game coming out on July 19th that I'm very excited about ?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Cool idea for an event! I'm in! Not sure how many games I'll be able to finish that month, but I should be able to get at least one done. There's a certain animal game coming out on July 19th that I'm very excited about 1f440.png

Ohh yes! Stray comes out at the perfect time for this event!

56 minutes ago, breakingthegreen said:

In all fairness the Bugsnax are meant to be... (meta-text spoilers)

Reveal hidden contents

A metaphor for drugs

rather than animals or food

This is a really neat concept! Might not be a fit for this event, but I think it should be able to fit into something on this site :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

So I guess Detroit Become Human doesn't work... Hmmm, does Spiderman Miles Morales count? Powers of a spider count for the event?

56 minutes ago, IntroPhenom said:

Hm. I'm playing Friday the 13th: Killer Puzzle. It has cats, and they play a part as they're obstacles in the puzzles, just as the walls/cops/everything else are. Would that could?

I'm gonna say no on both of these, I'm sorry! I think the animal itself should be a bit more of a presence than that :)

• Like 1

Alright, clearly I need to make a bit more of a FAQ for the games that are allowed for this event, so here's some. If you'd like me to expand on any of these just say the word!

The animal is the main character? Of course!

The animal is a companion to the main character? Yes!

The animal is fictional/extinct? Yes!

The player can summon the animal? Yes!

The animal is an enemy or obstacle? No, unless they become friendly afterwards.

The animal is set dressing? No.

The game is about hunting animals? Sorry, but absolutely not :(

Again, don't be afraid to ask if something sort of fits into one of these and you aren't sure! It's what I'm here for :)

Edited by MissShake
  • Like 2

I'm in, I play tons of animal games, shame I already did 2 ratchet games..... Ratchet is an animal right?

Anyway, I am in.

I am thinking the new Guardians of the Galaxy, Rocket is your teammate, does that count?

What about Last Guardian?

Edited by MAUSZX

5 hours ago, MissShake said:

I'm gonna say no on both of these, I'm sorry! I think the animal itself should be a bit more of a presence than that :)

Someone told me that Spiderman Miles Morales would count, but for a completely different reason, but didn't want to spoil... Guess I'll just play it next to find out. Otherwise, I'm kind of running out of ideas for games I could complete in a month, lol. 

22 minutes ago, MAUSZX said:

I am thinking the new Guardians of the Galaxy, Rocket is your teammate, does that count?

Oh my god how did I not think about using Guardians of the Galaxy, also if I am correct then yes Rocket should count since he is a Raccoon. One of the games I am doing is Darksiders 2 which has a Horse and Crow with you as support and such, so Rocket should count I assume.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MAUSZX said:

I'm in, I play tons of animal games, shame I already did 2 ratchet games..... Ratchet is an animal right?

Anyway, I am in.

What about Last Guardian?

These both fall under the following two:

The animal is a companion to the main character? Yes!

The animal is fictional/extinct? Yes!

Edited by MissShake

I would like to join! I'm gonna go for Stray when it comes out. Might go for Ghostwire Tokyo as well if that counts with the cat shops and the ability to pet the dogs. That is one I have to ask if it's allowed because I think the dogs give quests or something and the cats are vendors. If not that's cool. 

30 minutes ago, Vulpine9Tails said:

I would like to join! I'm gonna go for Stray when it comes out. Might go for Ghostwire Tokyo as well if that counts with the cat shops and the ability to pet the dogs. That is one I have to ask if it's allowed because I think the dogs give quests or something and the cats are vendors. If not that's cool. 

I think that seems a bit more like set dressing? I'd have to see it in action, but for now I'd say maybe skip on Ghostwire Tokyo. Stray is gonna be a great choice for that though :D