Gaming for the Animals [EVENT HAS CONCLUDED]

1 hour ago, Yuber6969 said:

Finished Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl. The game has a squirrel character (Sandy) among other animals.

EDIT: Forgot to vote. I'll vote for the honeybee, since we'll die if they die. Not the most exciting answer, but I do think it's important to save them.

Congrats on being our first plat obtainer! One vote for the bees!

• Like 1

I guess I'll post my Okami updates here, if you don't mind. I'm 51 hours in and just started the last big hub area. I'm getting close to the end now, so I won't be posting too much. I've even done some clean-up.

So far, I have

- upgraded the Ink Pot and Astral Pouch to maximum capacity (Solar Energy and Wallet left)

- completed the Animal Tome (as in found all the species, thankfully I don't have to 100% each one for the trophy)

- completed all digging mini-games

- completed 2/3 Devil Gate trials

- defeated every enemy in 2/4 Wanted Lists

- defeated 53/66 types of enemies from the Bestiary

- obtained 28/30 Travel Guide entries

- obtained 74/99 Stray Beads

- caught 28/43 types of fish from the Fish Tome

- learned 16/17 moves from the Move List

- found 25/36 types of treasures from the Treasure Tome

As you can see, there's a lot to do in this game ?. The platinum wants you to do almost everything. 

The game itself is pretty fun. Some quest lines and set pieces were unexpected. Okami keeps surprising me the more I play. The battle system gets progressively deeper after you unlock new weapons, learn new moves and brush techniques. Some are more useful then the others depending on the enemy type. There are also different finishers for each enemy type. They're fun to learn and perform. And of course there are fighting trials to test everything you've learned. The groups of enemies you fight there are much stronger then what you normally encounter. 

The side missions and mini-games are fun as well. The digging mini-game gave me trouble at first, but then it clicked, and I was beating the last few of them first try. The mini-game Japanese developers love so much is also present. You've already guessed it - it's the fishing mini-game ?. I actually like how it works, but the RNG ant the amount of time to catch everything will be the annoying part. 

I estimate that I'll be spending at least 15 more hours in the world of Okami, most of which will consist of clean-up stuff, like the aforementioned fishing mini-game and stray beads collecting. I might get the platinum by the end of this week.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 4

On 6/28/2022 at 0:45 AM, MissShake said:

Do you like animals? Of course you do! Would you like to help make a difference? Of course you would! Since you (probably) like both of these things, I have an event for you!

Recently I've been wanting to symbolically adopt an animal, and I've been at a loss as to which one to give my money. Then I had an idea: what if PSNP adopts an animal collectively? This is where you come in. How? Easy, just plat some games that feature animals!

This is how the event will go: every completed game counts for one vote towards the animal we will (symbolically) adopt. You do not have to donate anything to participate in this event, I will be the one paying for the adoption kit at the end of the allotted time.

While I might not be able to compete because games I currently play don't have animals in them (or in a way they would qualify), you inspired me to adopt something on my own as well, just can't decide between lynx, tiger or tarantula so might just do all of them.

• Like 4

Hey everyone! I'm so glad we're already getting some games completed and votes coming in! As I'm sure everyone knows, it's a holiday here in the USA, so I'm going to have to wait to get this event fully updated, but don't worry: I should be back tonight.

2 hours ago, Raveniteh said:

While I might not be able to compete because games I currently play don't have animals in them (or in a way they would qualify), you inspired me to adopt something on my own as well, just can't decide between lynx, tiger or tarantula so might just do all of them.

That's wonderful, please support them however you can! I vote either lynx or tiger, but that's because I'm not really a fan of spiders lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MissShake said:

That's wonderful, please support them however you can! I vote either lynx or tiger, but that's because I'm not really a fan of spiders lol

Aaaaw, but arachnids are so cute and useful :3 I might adopt tiger, then tarantula and lynx in the end if I have some spare money after obsessive spending.

Important update, please read!

Alrighty, guys! I hate to be that guy, but I've already seen a couple games that have not followed with the following rule:

3. EZPZ games will not count for this event. What does that mean? If you can plat the game in under one and a half hours, it does not count. [..] This also means that autopops are not allowed for this event, including PS4 to PS5 pops.

Since this event has just started out and I see that the people who are in this event did not take advantage of autopops, I will let it slide. Considering the sheer amount of games that are cross platform that have autopop this rule may be edited in the future. But for now, please keep an eye on it while I figure a better option out!

Edited by MissShake
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, MissShake said:

Important update, please read!

Alrighty, guys! I hate to be that guy, but I've already seen a couple games that have not followed with the following rule:

3. EZPZ games will not count for this event. What does that mean? If you can plat the game in under one and a half hours, it does not count. [..] This also means that autopops are not allowed for this event, including PS4 to PS5 pops.

Since this event has just started out and I see that the people who are in this event did not take advantage of autopops, I will let it slide. Considering the sheer amount of games that are cross platform that have autopop this rule may be edited in the future. But for now, please keep an eye on it while I figure a better option out!

I feel like I should apologise for my choice of game, while it can be auto poped I didn't do that myself as I wanted to go through it again from beginning to end, will be more careful with other games on my to do list.

Just now, Sylvanticore said:

I feel like I should apologise for my choice of game, while it can be auto poped I didn't do that myself as I wanted to go through it again from beginning to end, will be more careful with other games on my to do list.

Don't apologize, I honestly didn't really process just how many games have autopop in them on PS4/PS5. Again, I'm rethinking the rule because I know no one here is really planning on doing autopops and I don't want people to feel like they can't use a game because of this new development in the trophy hunting game. We'll see what we can manage! :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MissShake said:

I'm not going to tell you how to run your event @MissShake, but I do think you should consider looking at this rule more closely.

The idea that a game is EZPZ because the fastest time on the 100% board is under 90 minutes is a potential problem - for several reasons.

• Firstly, Autopops will mean that the rule effectively means any cross gen game would only count the PS4 version, and not the PS5 version. The PS5 versions they will be in the region of seconds, due to Autopop, and I for one do not like to play the PS4 versions if a PS5 one is available. (There's few enough PS5 games as it is ?)

• Secondly, this means that if a game has a single, as yet un-caught cheater on it, it will be effectively rendered ineligable. (Take Untitled Goose Game, for example - the fastest time is 11 seconds... but the second fastest is something like 70 minutes. Yes, that may be ineligable anyways due to the (single) sub 90minutes legit time), but I really don't think the 11 second one should be considered here!

• Thirdly - this limits games to only ones that don't have some kind of speed run community. I know it's not related to this animal-centric event, but a good example is The Witness. It is game that takes legitimately dozens, if not hundreds of hours to do for the average, unguided mortal.... but it has a guided speed run community. They have driven the fastest time down to 48 minutes. Frankly, if The Witness is considered EZPZ... then the definition of EZPZ has lost all sense of reality! ?

In that light, may I suggest The following definition, as a starting point for discussion / modification?

"EZPZ games will not count. If the player users Autopop, OR If the fastest (not obviously Autopopped or cheated) time on the 'Fastest Leaderboard' is under 30 minutes, OR the 50th place on the 'Fastest Leaderboard' is under 2 hours, it will not be counted."

Edited by DrBloodmoney

4 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I'm not going to tell you how to run your event @MissShake, but I do think you should consider looking at this rule more closely.

The idea that a game is EZPZ because the fastest time on the 100% board is under 90 minutes is a potential problem - for several reasons.

• Firstly, Autopops will mean that the rule effectively means any cross gen game would only count the PS4 version, and not the PS5 version. The PS5 versions they will be in the region of seconds, due to Autopop, and I for one do not like to play the PS4 versions if a PS5 one is available. (There's few enough PS5 games as it is 1f602.png)

• Secondly, this means that if a game has a single, as yet un-caught cheater on it, it will be effectively rendered ineligable. (Take Untitled Goose Game, for example - the fastest time is 11 seconds... but the second fastest is something like 70 minutes. Yes, that may be ineligable anyways due to the (single) sub 90minutes legit time), but I really don't think the 11 second one should be considered here!

• Thirdly - this limits games to only ones that don't have some kind of speed run community. I know it's not related to this animal-centric event, but a good example is The Witness. It is game that takes legitimately dozens, if not hundreds of hours to do for the average, unguided mortal.... but it has a guided speed run community. They have driven the fastest time down to 48 minutes. Frankly, if The Witness is considered EZPZ... then the definition of EZPZ has lost all sense of reality! 1f602.png

In that light, may I suggest The following definition, as a starting point for discussion / modification?

"EZPZ games will not count. If the player users Autopop, OR If the fastest (not obviously Autopopped or cheated) time on the 'Fastest Leaderboard' is under 30 minutes, OR the 50th place on the 'Fastest Leaderboard' is under 2 hours, it will not be counted."

Yeah I've already seen that this one isn't going to work as is. Another reason for me to be kind of annoyed with the PS4 to PS5 autopop thing lololol. I'll take the majority of your suggestion, but I think the 50th place will have to be under one and a half hours, just to give it some spice I suppose. I appreciate the feedback!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Xylobe said:

@MissShake Another, possibly easier, solution to the autopop issue would be to use the PS4 list's fastest achievers for games that have it. To the best of my knowledge there aren't any games that feature PS5 -> PS4 autopop, so I think that would eliminate the problem entirely.

There are a few PS5 to PS4 autopops, the only one I can think of that includes animals is A Plague Tale. It was mentioned in the thread earlier, not sure if it's allowed though. But it's also impossible to complete that particular game in under 1.5 hours from start to finish, I think. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, the1andonly654 said:

There are a few PS5 to PS4 autopops, the only one I can think of that includes animals is A Plague Tale. It was mentioned in the thread earlier, not sure if it's allowed though. But it's also impossible to complete that particular game in under 1.5 hours from start to finish, I think. 

Hitman 3, I think can do this, as it's server side...

...though I'm not sure if "Exploding Rubber Duck" technically counts as an animal...

...certainly endangered though! :awesome:

4 hours ago, Xylobe said:

@MissShake Another, possibly easier, solution to the autopop issue would be to use the PS4 list's fastest achievers for games that have it. To the best of my knowledge there aren't any games that feature PS5 -> PS4 autopop, so I think that would eliminate the problem entirely.

I was considering this too, but I tried it with a game that wasn't A Plague Tale and found that it ALSO had PS5 to PS4 autopop. I'll have to give it another look, but I think @DrBloodmoney's idea is the safest bet since it does cover a lot more bases than my og rule did

• Like 3