Thoughts on Online

ratache

Well, it has been almost 5 months since release and we still have heard nothing about heists. I do think we will get heists, but after that we will see little to no new content. Rockstar was banking on shark card sales to generate revenue, and that is just not panning out. Between the multiple easy to do money glitches, and the month of gifted billions, only a fool would even consider purchasing a shark card. I feel Rockstar is well aware that the chance of making a significant profit off of online has gone, and that is why they are dragging their feet with heists.

Its pretty clear that heists were intentionally held back in an effort to encourage some early shark card sales. The community fought back.

That original Online trailer had me super hyped, looked like this was going to be an amazing expierience. Unfortunately, most of the stuff in the trailer cant even be done or does not exist.

TL;DR That line from the first trailer, "Rockstar will constantly be developing new content for you to enjoy", once heists are out that will probably be the end of the content.

I think comparing GTA5 as whole online and offline combined, it's pretty hard to argue that you aren't getting a good value for your $60, even if they just left it the way it is from now until the end of the time. I mean sure there's people that this game won't appeal to at all but can anyone really claim that the size and scope of the game isn't impressive?

Having said that, it's probably a bit premature to say that they are done adding new content. It would be a fool hardy bet indeed to say that R* won't be releasing some DLC for GTA5 eventually. If any of that DLC will expand the online is impossible to say of course but I think the fact that no DLC has been released yet speaks (hopefully) to the fact that R* is concerned with quality and customer satisfaction along with profits.

Now, having said that, there could be merit to the idea they are holding back heists to increase microtransactions. It makes sense on a business level. But we can only speculate on such things.

Well, I was proven wrong, only slightly. They did release some new DLC, but it is very obvious that its intention is to push shark card sales over the weekend. 750k for a car that will only be available for purchase for a few days? You either already have the cash, grind as hard as you can all weekend and hope you make enough in time, or surprise surprise, buy a shark card.

Luckily for me, I have the cash. Others arent so lucky.

Oh, and insult to injury, any car that isnt "too hot" to modify has had its resale value capped at 10k. I had sold my fully modded Futo a few days before for about 110k to make room for the Roosevelt, im glad I did.

• 2 weeks later...

Right now the only confirmed content is the "Dangerous business" and heists. Single player stuff doesnt matter to me but its nice I guess.

Also, dont forget that the Valentines day pack had no "new" content. Everything from that pack was disc locked content, meaning it was already developed and on the disc the whole time. So I cant really consider that fresh content since technically its been done since release.

• 2 weeks later...

I have always loved the GTA Series. I remember the first time I played I was given one of those old school computer discs with 100 games on it and a friend told me gta 2 was on it (btw this is around 2000 - 2001) then GTA 3 came out and I loved it but Vice City was where I got my Chopps for the game, The Soundtrack, Rediculous Missions funny ass Characters. It was just a great game. I never really played the china town games since they were just money grabber games in my opinion with no real value so I never bought them and after a few years i stopped playing the series until GTA 4. Damn the first time playing GTA4 I was at my Buddy's House Warming party, I was on the couch smoking a bong and singing with friends while Jeff played GTA. He passed the controller and J i puffed and played for 2 days. Now GTA5 is out and it has been years since I have played the series and I gotta say im not dissapointed but im not 100% impressed. Yes the game is fun and huge they did a great job making it, but the main story characters and NPC'S just feel so over the top and just rediculous. But that didnt stop me from 100% the game and the online is awesome besides the insane amount of young kids playing and messing up good lobbys by just thinking its COD and killing everyone. I have been playing rockstar games for over 15 years and always loved the way they make them better and better and put little easter eggs into it form movies or tv. I trust they will do more and yes the original online trailer made me excited to play it but when the game first came out it was rushed and there was SOOO much glitching/ hacking and exploiting in the game that they had to spend most of there time just rewritting the bbs code and redo the hex so people wouldnt bug the shit out of it. So Basically yeah I love the game and will keep playing but players need to stop trying to exploit since it slows down production and haults the game for everyone and Rockstar needs to just crack down and upload the full value of the game. Most of the "new" stuff they add is already verified to be on the discs already they just have to be activated to be played, They should unlock everything in 1 big update then the same day do a permaban on console id's for the exploiting.

Its far too late to ban for exploits, and even if it wasnt it would be foolish to do so. The only people I can see ever getting banned are people who did the DNS hack for their levels. Id say anyone above 300 at this point glitched it. Even if you no lifed every day since the game dropped anything above 300 is impossible without cheating.

Its R* own fault for leaving the game so open to exploits, and most were so easy everyone did them. Especially the LSC bug. If you set foot in a public lobby in November you were gifted billions immediatly. R* wont ban exploiters because they would be banning most of the player base. And you cant really blame the players for doing the exploits either, since in the early months of the game R* was trying their very hardest to nerf mission payouts to boost shark card sales. Luckily for us R* got smart and changed their game plan and buffed mission payouts to a reasonable amount.

R* hasnt said a word about the heist update in what is coming up on 6 months. Im cautiously optimistic that the fact that its taken this long and they are so determined to keep it under wraps, means it will be a massive update that not only introduces heists, but multiple high dollar things for us to spend our money on. Cause whats the point of heists if there is nothing to buy?

The first week of playing when you could instant replay missions. You cant do that anymore. Or do Criminal Records

And once you pass 200 the level ups are much farther in between. There is no way anyone could be at 500 legit within 6 months. Even people DNS hacking were having trouble leveling up once they hit the higher levels.

Possibly a more reasonable way to issue bans would be comparing time played to level. If you got to level 200 in 10 hours, you probably cheated. While this is a nice suggestion, R* wont do it because it involves work. They only do either nothing at all, or blanket fixes.

R* pushed it as a MMO though. Thats why people consider it one. But I agree with you, it is missing vital components that a MMO requires.

I think even R* still considers it an MMO, they claimed the billions of dollars hackers were giving out were hurting the economy. What economy? The only things you can buy are from in game stores which have static prices that never change.

R* may have just said that because it was cleaner than saying "Hackers are killing shark card sales were taking your money away" though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...