Tips and advice

Blackmist_FFXI

so, I like to think I'm good at strategy games, next to RPG's Its the main type i play.

With that said, this game is absolutely brutal, the tutorial doesn't help much, other than give a lot more starting gold (600 vs like 32).

within 1 - 6 years, i have maybe got an army of 700, a income of 2.8-3.5 gold. and have shipped of as many of my offspring as possible for small hooks / alliances, in hopes of "claim" titles/land later down the road.

however, by the time my 1st king dies, the a.i has army's in the 1000's, and has or is taking my 3 Pices of land away from me, and my new king is strongly disliked, and that just seems to push the nearby a.i to push harder against me. and i seem to have super high levels of "dread / terrified"

what are some tips to start off with? 
Is it easier to start in like 833 and build up wealth, or do the scenario / start points end at X year junctions? 

A little on the discouraging side. and kind of makes me want to shelf the game, when i'm more or less getting wrecked 2 generations in.
 i get that it's a "in the long run" style of game, and this is to be expected. but on a Campaign, that's a recommended start. and labled as easy.... i hate to see how hard starts off.

1 hour ago, DoodgraverNL said:

If you haven't yet, I highly advice to watch some Youtube videos. That's how I learned to play the game. 

What I've been doing most the day, 
Some have talked about "turdleing up" and generating alot of gold, some have talked about military strat.

im sure most the videos help, they are ~1+year old, but assume this would reflect the current PS5 Build.

unlike stellaris, or Europa (thou i was crap at this one)
this game seems alot harder, lol

After learning the immediate basics from the tutorial the next best advice I could give for a beginner is to learn how to control who is going to succeed your character and how to groom your heir because generally the better your character's stats are the easier time you will have in this game. If your successor is a useless piece of heck you will run into troubles very quick unless your realm is already much more powerful than the neighbours but even this doesn't save you from your vassals if your ruler is weak.

If you don't 100% need alliances try to find spouses with congenital traits for your children, (preferably genius or herculean, you can search for people with these traits in the character search menu.) Having these traits will make your game significantly more easy because your characters will live longer and they will be better at everything and almost everyone will like them more. The dynasty perks relating to blood will help greatly in achieving these traits and so unlocking "easy mode." :P

For Christian faiths controlling who is going to succeed you is a bit harder than some other because you can't really access succession laws until very late game so to get rid of your eldest sons you have to play around the disinherit button, the become monk option or sending them into battles but the two latter ones won't always happen. The real challenge in this game is that everything you achieve on a successful and loved character can turn into a disaster really quick once a trash character takes over.

Edited by AvariceInc

6 hours ago, AvariceInc said:

The real challenge in this game is that everything you achieve on a successful and loved character can turn into a disaster really quick once a trash character takes over.

Isn't that the truth..

I've been slowly getting a hang of things. Having a much more successful campaign run after starting off the tutorials, using the 1000 starting gold to build some quick infrastructure and boost my income gained. I've almost captured all of Ireland.

I've been having all my off spring get trained / educated by other characters with high learning stat in hopes of faster tech gain lol  and have been playing around with shipping off of spring to other nations in hopes of claiming titles from them later down the road.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, St-Lonit said:

I see some people managed to get the "Almost there" trophy, but how did they do it? I've formed Hungary, but it seems like I cannot set it to my primary title. I am Catholic as well, still no trophy, any tips or advice?

well i am unsure how this trophy would pop, I'm struggling with doing the Russia Trophy as Ruikirk the trickster or whatever his face is - (man everyone hates this guy)

I have seen posted elsewhere, there are very detailed step by step guides on Steam, as this title has been out for a while on PC, if you don't get a proper response here, I'm sure Ya might find it on steam :) -sorry if this isn't the help you were looking for, wish i knew more.

• Like 1

On 16/07/2022 at 2:09 PM, St-Lonit said:

I see some people managed to get the "Almost there" trophy, but how did they do it? I've formed Hungary, but it seems like I cannot set it to my primary title. I am Catholic as well, still no trophy, any tips or advice?

Didn't test this trophy before going on an indefinite break (until they fix the game) but it should not have any hidden requirements. Are you sure you started as the correct character and what main title kingdom do you have instead? When I last played this it was impossible to switch primary title so you could destroy other titles because there just wasn't an interface button for that while PC version does and the console version implies as well that it should be possible, no idea if it has been added since then... 

However this trophy / achievement has specific decisions available, kind of like a small campaign, here's a small detailed guide someone at trueachievements wrote: https://www.trueachievements.com/a308059/almost-there-achievement

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For all campaign trophies which need u to play a specific leader: play ironman mode (or make a habit of always playing on ironman ... it really makes the game a lot more fun)

The only trophy that is currently bugged is Norman Yoke (it should be fixed may 17th, but don't quote me on that)