What is your occupation and does it get in the way of your gaming time in any way?

Rancidweasel

Hi guys!  I was just wondering what kind of work the rest of you gamers are in?  I work in an office environment where my normal start/finish times are 7.30am-3.30pm, and am normally home by 4.00pm (unless I hit the gym or have made any other plans).  My job is pretty much stress free and does not invole any commitment to it outside of working hours, so as soon as I leave the office I dont even think about work.  So for pretty much the whole weekend and anytime after 4pm during the weekdays im free to game whenever I want.  I think the amount of time I have to work and play is perfect for me and have the right balance of both.....how about you guys???

• Like 1

No fun you get to visit all the lonely housewives I'm jealous!

I'm an electrician for a small company (the boss, and me). I live in the city, he doesn't. So I'm in call 24/7. I'm compensated very well, but it does interfere.

I go to law school and like all students I have plenty of time for gaming

Also, since I work third shift my off days suck. I really only have on true off day, which is Tuesday. Technically I have Monday and Tuesday night off but I get off work Monday morning at 7:30AM so I've already spend almost 8 hours of an "off day" at work, plus I have to go home and sleep which doesn't leave much of a day left. 

You only work night shifts? That is hard man, I used to work in three shifts and I always dreaded the graveyard shift

Edited by Goekie

Law Enforcement, more specifically a sworn Corrections Officer and hell yes it gets in the way of my gaming. Not only can it be extremely stressful, I work third shift so I leave my house right at 10PM and get home right at 8AM. I generally sleep until 1 or 2PM and then spend the rest of the day with my wife and son until I put him to bed around 8PM, and then of course it is wifey time. 

Also, since I work third shift my off days suck. I really only have on true off day, which is Tuesday. Technically I have Monday and Tuesday night off but I get off work Monday morning at 7:30AM so I've already spend almost 8 hours of an "off day" at work, plus I have to go home and sleep which doesn't leave much of a day left. 

Most inmates are fucking idiots too. If you're interested in seeing a little bit of my work environment, Lockup went to my facility and filmed there. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbEyMJzv4gc

Some of the people you see are still in the facility and I deal with them 5 days a week. Most of them are punks who try to act tough in front of the camera though.

Parker

watched 5mins of the vid you posted and ill watch the rest just as im done typing this reply :) that jones guy has the banter of a hyped up american football player. 

shame that you dont get more game time but at least your work is interesting (if slightly scary).  I respect the fact that you also make time for your wife and child.  Ive been with my girlfiend for 3 years now but we dont have any children yet.  Shes also a big gamer.........which leads to more gamer time for me, lol.

• Like 1

No fun you get to visit all the lonely housewives I'm jealous!

I go to law school and like all students I have plenty of time for gaming

You only work night shifts? That is hard man, I used to work in three shifts and I always dreaded the graveyard shift

Yep, only night shift. The hours suck but I did it to ultimately spend more time with my son. I was on 2nd shift which is 3PM (so I leave at 2) to 11PM (get home at midnight) and I never saw my family so now I work while they sleep and when my son starts school I'll sleep while he is in school. I can't wait for first shift though, that is for sure. 

Parker@ if a prison break out ever happens will you take them all out Man with no Name style? :P

But god damn man, how do you squeeze in like..any time at all? that's quite a busy schedule. 

We can't carry our weapons in the jail, there is generally 350-400 inmates on each floor to 4 officers so if they wanted to grab our weapons they'd easily be able to do so. We carry OC (which fucking sucks, we had to get sprayed in the academy and then run an obstacle course) and handcuffs. If we get in a fight we fight with our fists which is why our academy was pretty much 9 weeks of us getting the shit beaten out of us daily. :lol: 

Yeah, my gaming time is very limited. Generally only on Monday and Tuesday night but I can occasionally find some more hours throughout the week.

Parker 

I own 50% of a construction company me and my sister's husband started 3 years a go. The hours can vary depending on the project we're on. Does it interfere with me gaming? I want to say yes and no I can't game as much as I used to be able to but when winter comes and bids and projects stop I'm off for nearly 3 months so I have nothing really to stop me from gaming as much as I want unless my fiance starts to get angry.

I'm a server. And I only work part time,but my employers have a hard time understanding what that means so I usually have more than 40 hours a week. Some days I have a lot of time for gaming,and some days I have like none. It also depends on how tired I am after work or on my days off. 

Law Enforcement, more specifically a sworn Corrections Officer and hell yes it gets in the way of my gaming. Not only can it be extremely stressful, I work third shift so I leave my house right at 10PM and get home right at 8AM. I generally sleep until 1 or 2PM and then spend the rest of the day with my wife and son until I put him to bed around 8PM, and then of course it is wifey time. 

My uncle is a Corrections Officer too, and he has the same complaints about the job as you do. and also works 3rd shift. He works at the Ventura Youth Correctional Facility here in California, so he gets to beat up on teenagers quite often  :shakefist:

My uncle is a Corrections Officer too, and he has the same complaints about the job as you do. and also works 3rd shift. He works at the Ventura Youth Correctional Facility here in California, so he gets to beat up on teenagers quite often  :shakefist:

Picking up the 18 year olds at midnight on their birthday at the Youth Detention Center is one of my favorite things to do. In that facility the workers aren't allowed to touch the kids in there other than bear hug them so these young punks think they are badasses on top of the world. At midnight when they turn 18 I get to come in with my full uniform which means my duty weapon (Glock 35) baton and the rest of my gear, cuff them and drive them to big boy jail. They change their tune real quick when they get there and try to pull the shit they get used to at the youth center.  :lol:

Parker

Picking up the 18 year olds at midnight on their birthday at the Youth Detention Center is one of my favorite things to do. In that facility the workers aren't allowed to touch the kids in there other than bear hug them so these young punks think they are badasses on top of the world. At midnight when they turn 18 I get to come in with my full uniform which means my duty weapon (Glock 35) baton and the rest of my gear, cuff them and drive them to big boy jail. They change their tune real quick when they get there and try to pull the shit they get used to at the youth center.  :lol:

Parker

It's seems like quite an interesting job despite it's negative sides.

It's seems like quite an interesting job despite it's negative sides.

No shift is ever the same, that is for sure. 95% of the time I adore my job and have a great time at work even when I am dealing with a shithead, but there are some days when I wonder why the hell I became an LEO.  :huh:

Parker

I'm a translator and also have a part-time as a Community Manager on a social game. It really depends how much work I have for the day for me to say if my job gets in the way, but normally yes. I work at home and most of the time I don't see my family, as I'm busy as hell with texts to translate and Customer Support.

I actually wanted to make a thread like this awhile ago but forgot, and its because I found out about Parkers career (which I still think is a lie and he races tractors....)

I work in a factory slaving away TRYING to get recognized and get a millwright apprenticeship out of it. Things are looking up this year with expansion so hopefully they will need more and I can hop on it. My hours suck but its still pretty good. 7am-7pm or 7pm-7am. Nice 12 hours... Not.

• Week 1: 2 day shifts, 2 days off, 3 night shifts
  • Week 2: 2 days off, 2 day shifts, 3 days off
  • Week 3: 2 night shifts, 2 days off, 3 day shifts
  • Week 4: 2 days off, 2 night shifts, 3 days off

This leaves me with a lot of time with my toddler when I can, but I also hate being away from the wife on the 3 nights weekends as I am basically dead to the world.

Yep, only night shift. The hours suck but I did it to ultimately spend more time with my son. I was on 2nd shift which is 3PM (so I leave at 2) to 11PM (get home at midnight) and I never saw my family so now I work while they sleep and when my son starts school I'll sleep while he is in school. I can't wait for first shift though, that is for sure. 

We can't carry our weapons in the jail, there is generally 350-400 inmates on each floor to 4 officers so if they wanted to grab our weapons they'd easily be able to do so. We carry OC (which fucking sucks, we had to get sprayed in the academy and then run an obstacle course) and handcuffs. If we get in a fight we fight with our fists which is why our academy was pretty much 9 weeks of us getting the shit beaten out of us daily. :lol:

Yeah, my gaming time is very limited. Generally only on Monday and Tuesday night but I can occasionally find some more hours throughout the week.

Parker 

I used to work as a cook and I would work 4pm-1am and I never got to see my son, so I agree its an awful shift for the family. Solo man was ok though cause you could laze around a bit, play some games, then goto work haha.

• Like 2

Totally off topic but you should look into Jimmy Johnsons anything with an engine I think its called. Pretty sure its perfect for you

Honestly I'm really not into that stuff. I do love diesels and tractors because I grew up on a farm and use them just about everyday but all the other "redneck" stuff isn't for me. 

Parker

Honestly I'm really not into that stuff. I do love diesels and tractors because I grew up on a farm and use them just about everyday but all the other "redneck" stuff isn't for me. 

Parker

Youre disappointing me right now :( maybe I just need to actually talk to you more and get this delusion out of my head haha

• Like 1