How old were you when you started playing?

Dfvm000

Let's go through Memory Lane and try to remember the first time we used a controller, or a joystick, or even a keyboard and mouse!

I was 3 (we have to start young :P) and my parents bought me a Mega Drive. It was mostly for my father (yes, my parents were gamers too, I'm proud of them), but I started playing too. My first game was Sonic the Hedgehog (favorite character, even now).

This was in 1995. Then I got a Saturn, later a Game Boy (Color) , a Dreamcast, PS2, a PSP (my sister's), a PS3 and finally, a Nintendo 3DS.

I still have my first console. It's something I won't ever get rid of.

281301_469489596425826_782175406_n.jpg

Now it's your turn. Tell us your story! :D

I was 3 or 4 years old when my father bought a Magnavox Odyssey in 1975 or 1976. Exact details are fuzzy, but I distinctly recall the shape of the controller, the light gun peripheral and playing Pong & Shooting Gallery on a small black & white TV. That also explains my forum avatar.

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 2

i remember my mom getting me one of those '100'' in 1 steers, with a IR gun. that i guess was my first console( i was 4-5) and after that i got the GAMEBOY,GAMEBOY COLOUR,PS1 , PS2,360,PSP,PS3, and now that i sort of live on my own i have to wait, till I have the money for a damn PS4!

I'm not sure on the age I started playing. But I started on a PS1 though I can't remember the game, but I do remember being told 'not to move the controller, when turning' :P

That's funny - my son was 3 when he started playing Skylanders on his own (he played mostly iPad previously) and he did the exact same thing ;)

I think I was 7 or 8 years old when I had my first games console on Christmas morning, two actually a NES and a Sega Mega Drive. I remember getting Super Mario Bros.,  Super Mario 3 and Sonic the Hedgehog. Best. Christmas. Ever. 

Edited by ARKphoenix

Started with a Pong clone and an Atari at around 4-5 years old, since then I have always owned a console or computer (apart from for about 3 months when I sold all my stuff for skateboard parts, something I regretted doing) As a result of this I have played some awesome games on a variety of systems, but have also played and owned some bad games and systems (including a Mattel Aquarius that was replaced 5-6 times in a month as they kept breaking, good thing was my dad ended up getting me a Spectrum as a replacement) I was also lucky enough to have family that lived in Rhyl who we used to visit on a regular basis so I spent a lot of time in the arcades there playing when we used to visit. (Sadly the arcades are now crap and have deteriorated into a poor state, funny thing is when I went a few years ago some of them still have the exact same machines I used to play on which is pretty amazing)

I have to say some of my favourite systems of the years have been:

Specturm

Who can forget the loading sounds of this wonderful machine, sitting there and watching as the lines flashed on screen before being greeted by a loading screen and waiting 5 minutes to play the latest bad port of the arcade games around at the time. I use to love going to WHSmiths and buying games when I was given money for £1.99 in the Firebird and Masteronic budget range of games.

Some of my favourite games were Kickstart 2, Ollie & Lisa, Head over Heels, Target Renegade, Jet Set Willy, Booty and Stormbringer. It was also where I first got to play many awesome games by Ultimate who later went on to became Rare.

Snes

The Snes was an amazing system with no shortage of games, stand out games had to be the Mario games, Zelda, but one of my favourites that should really receive an updated version is Unirally (Uniracers for you Yanks) the game was awesome and saw a regular gathering of about 8 of us sat in a house all playing the crap out of the game while getting drunk. 

Amiga 500

The Amiga was an awesome machine, Sensible Soccer, Cannon Fodder, Chaos Engine, Super Cars 2, Fire & Ice, Badlands, Dynablaster and Superfrog were some of the better games for the system I enjoyed playing on the system. (No Shadow of the Beast or Lemmings?? Er.. no, wasn't really a fan of those games.

I could go on but I would be here all day, lol

• Like 1

About 5, when my mother got married. My step-father had a Nintendo with Mario Brothers, a military plane, Duckhunt, and some police game I really loved for some reason. You had this small map and you drove the car around, catching speeders and burglars. The days got longer as you played through. Duckhunt was my first, though. I remember being really good at it and hitting all the discs every time, I played so much.