Does it matter what platinum you get for the milestone numbers?

PotrikBerger

I’m coming up to 150th plat, and for first time ever I’m finding myself thinking about what game I want to be recorded as number 150. I don’t remember giving it a second thought at any other number and just carried on carrying on playing games. But now it somehow seems to be entering my thoughts before I decide what to play next. And it’s bugging me. Why does it matter? Why do I suddenly seem to have a desire for it to be some critically marvelled game or one of the more challenging games out there. What’s changed?

So so I thought I’d ask the community.

Does it matter? What do you think? Are there any others who have spent time carefully planning what games are recorded at landmark numbers? Or are you someone that just plays and doesn’t think about these things.

If your someone that thinks it does matter, then perhaps you could also throw in a recommendation for the 150th in your response. Only caveats are I don’t wanna play any bullet hell stuff, no beat em ups and no fighting games....

• Like 2

Not really - they’re a bit meaningless as milestones, because so many people tailor their play to “fix” them…

…forcing them to be specific, pre-selected games, rather than allowing them to be accurately representative of what they would have played anyways.

As a result, in most cases they’re not really a good representation of what that player’s journey actually has been - they’re more a photoshopped, curated example of what they wanted their journey to look like.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Not really - they’re a bit meaningless as milestones, because so many people tailor their play to “fix” them…

…forcing them to be specific, pre-selected games, rather than allowing them to be accurately representative of what they would have played anyways.

As a result, in most cases they’re not really a good representation of what that player’s journey actually has been - they’re more a photoshopped, curated example of what they wanted their journey to look like.

I have a somewhat similar view to this.

One of my old milestones happens to be one of the Call of Duty games and it reminds me of how back then I was quite big into Call of Duty. It's my whole attitude to a profile in general, it's why I'm not a fan of the idea of using alts to play other games/curating for completion% etc. because it doesn't feel like a true genuine representation of yourself and your gaming journey. It feels like some kind of brand image you're maintaining.

The only exception was my 9000th trophy in which I actually attempted to make the trophy title for that one be 'over 9000'. There was one with that title in a game I was literally about to play anyway so I just had to get a few extra trophies elsewhere to edge to that number and it was interesting trying to aim for trophies as a non-trophy hunter usually but I think that one was kinda worth it xD

I will admit though I have been tempted to buy/download My Name is Mayo for if I next reach a milestone because I know it upsets elitists when people do that ?

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

it doesn't feel like a true genuine representation of yourself and your gaming journey. It feels like some kind of brand image you're maintaining.

That’s what I was going for saying, but that’s a much better way of putting it!

37 minutes ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

The only exception was my 9000th trophy in which I actually attempted to make the trophy title for that one be 'over 9000'. There was one with that title in a game I was literally about to play anyway so I just had to get a few extra trophies elsewhere to edge to that number and it was interesting trying to aim for trophies as a non-trophy hunter usually but I think that one was kinda worth it xD

On the other hand, this kind of deliberate change - for the sake of the joke - I can fully endorse! ??

• Like 1

For me personally, I don't really pay attention to the milestones. I find them interesting to look back on, but I don't try and plan them. Kinda like a surprise. :) I think it's hilarious that I accidentally got Dream Daddy as my 100th platinum, and the panty icon for borderlands 'what a party!' is also my 4500th trophy. I would've never planned those to be milestones, but it's funny to me that they are.

In my approach to trophy milestones, "matter" would be kind of a big six letters word, insofar as in the grand scheme of things, does anything really matter, but I admit to care a little bit when I think it could be fun and won’t require too much planning.

Examples are: South Park platinum for 5k trophies, Trover platinum for 9k and Plague Inc. platinum named "Fully evolved" for 10k...

Yes and no, it mattered more to me in the early days, before I hit 100 Plats. 

My 1st, 25th, 50th, 75th and 100th are all WWE games. I stopped worrying about milestones after that until I came up to 200 and decided make it WWE 2K20 but that had a lot to do with the timing being right. Now I'm nearing 300 and in my mind I want it to be WWE 2K22...but I just don't know if I have it in me to Plat it (Proving Grounds in MyFaction is just no fun at all to play, I need 200 medals, and I'm only at 20).  So unless 2K23 is an easier list and I don't hit 300 before it comes out...I may not be worrying too much about a milestone. 

It all depends on how I feel when the time comes. I have 20 Plats to go before it's time for 300. 

It's a nice to have. I usually try to reserve those for games that meant a lot to me or do a challenging game that I would usually not tackle. In that way, it can function as a motivation to try out new challenging games and push yourself a little bit further. It is a nice reward to have permanently on your profile that you can always look back at. 

Like most things, ot depends.

I try to make milestones something meaningful, or funny, because they're on my profile forever. It's always nice to have a sort of snapshot of my profile to look through every once in a while. 

For me it's pretty important, if I have a major milestone coming up then I'll try to think of a few good candidates in my backlog which are both important to me and feasibly doable, or pick out a game that I know I love that I am more than happy to re-platinum and do the maths to get that particular trophy to platinum.

Some games that were backlog games are:-

• 4,500th trophy Persona 4 Golden Plat
  • 5,000th trophy Danganronpa 2 Plat
  • 100th Platinum Crash Bandicoot 3
  • 10,000th Trophy Crash Bandicoot 2  Plat
  • 175th Platinum The Walking Dead Collection
  • 200th Platinum Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled
  • 300th Platinum Kingdom Hearts II

Some are pre planned before the game is even out, which often leads to me postponing a platinum or using Ratalaika games that are on sale to increase the number appropriately before release so I can play the game in it's entirety:-

• 150th Platinum Spyro 3
  • 15,000th Doctor Who: Edge of Time (story completion trophy, it's the DW logo)
  • 250th Platinum Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart

And my final category of planned are "unexpected loves" these are usually Indies which I find I adore, to immortalize them I sometimes re platinum an alternate version which in my example are the PS4, but for Spiritfarer, I had been playing it for weeks and knew I loved it, so I deliberately Ratalaika-ed my way to forcing Spiritfarer to be my 225th:-

• 225th Platinum Spiritfarer
  • 20,000th trophy Bugsnax platinum (PS4)
  • Planned 350th Platinum Road 96 (PS4)

Most of my other milestones were unplanned and I'm not very happy with, but I do actually like my Plats 1, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 I am pretty happy with

It's not something I've ever paid attention to. Amusingly, this topic prompted me to have a glance at my milestones, and it so happens that my 200th platinum was actually some Ratalaika game (Squareboy vs Bullies), which I'm sure makes a certain kind of person sick to look at. ?

My 225th Platinum is the simple game Storm Boy and it annoys me that such an easy game I only played because I has going though a bad time is one of my Milestones. ?

So YES since Plat 75 I've tried to have a game that's important to me or a game I 'love' to be in such a place.

Oh Storm Boy isn't a bad game, it's an easy Art Game and I really wanted Forgotton Anne to be in that place. After the fact.

Edited by Jamescush147

It doesn't really matter.  Cause no one cares about your list more than you do.  And I say this as someone who lives looking at random lists and going, "of e, that's neat."

That being said, I want my 100th plat to be 3D Dot Game Heroes, just cause I think it'd be funny to have my milestones bookended like that.  My very first trophy was from that game.

For the most part, I only try to have every 1,000th trophy be a platinum, rather than some crappy, forgettable bronze trophy.  It doesn't really matter which platinum it is, but I like to try and keep the streak going.  It's just a fun little challenge to set myself, and I only have to think about it every year or so.

So far, I've managed the following:

1,000 - Transformers: War for Cybertron

2,000 - Metal Gear Solid 3

3,000 - Assassin's Creed III

4,000 - Far Cry Classic

5,000 - L.A. Noire

6,000 - Beyond: Two Souls

7,000 - Saints Row: The Third

8,000 - inFAMOUS: Second Son

9,000 - Erica

And hopefully, #10,000 will be Metal Gear Solid V.

The one time I imposed an extra "rule" on myself was for my 100th platinum.  I went out of my way to have it be Metal Gear Solid 4, as I was, and still am, such a huge fan of that game.

Some really great responses from people here. Thank you.

im definitely someone who never cared and never thought about it. But I have been thinking about it in last few days and I wasn’t sure why it seemed as though I suddenly cared.

@JohnCenaSong- I think your approach is always how I’ve been generally, but I’d never really spent any time looking back at the milestones before. I did that yesterday after reading your response and it was great. Lots of memories. I love that one of the milestones I have is for ugly dolls game. I love it because I never played that game but my son got the plat on my account when he was five years old. (So proud lol) Without knowing it, that is now a treasured memory for me to look back on. So I’ve decided to carry on as I always had done before,  not really paying any attention. 

That said i I’d I do like the idea of trying to get something funny or irreverent down as a trophy or a milestone if opportunity arises.

thank you everybody, really interesting to see how differently people approach this.