Removed from leaderboards because of auto pop trophies

TJC_86

1 minute ago, closertim said:

Maybe his ps3 wasn’t updated to handle trophies till later on…. 

Thats right. I didn't have the trophy system installed on my PS3 when I first beat the game and did the trophy requirements. That's why some trophies autopopped after I updated the system software and played a new game. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TJC_86 said:

I just found out I've been removed from the leaderboard and list of achievers because I had some trophies auto pop for me. Is this a common thing, has this happened to anyone else lately? The game I had flagged was dead space on PS3. It was my very first platinum trophy on PS3 back in May 2009, over 13 years ago. The trophies auto popped because I had already completed the trophy requirements before the trophy system was introduced to the PSN. I beat the game and found all the collectibles for the sake of in game completion, before the game even had a trophy list and before PSN trophies were even a thing. After I updated the system softore on my PS3 to include the newly introduced PSN trophy system I started a new game on dead space to start earning the trophies. Because I had already done a lot of the trophy requirements, some trophies auto popped. I have no way to prove this because it happened 13 years ago. I've put in a dispute but have not yet had a response. The message on my profile sais I can "hide games" to be reinstated on the leaderboards, but It doesn't say how to do this and I shouldn't have to because I've done nothing wrong. If someone who runs this site reads this could they please look into this and get back to me. 

False, it came with trophies. My ps3 wasn't connected to the Internet when I got dead space and I still earned trophies.

3 hours ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

Date trophies was introduced to playstation July 2nd 2008

Date dead space released October 14th 2008. 

And previous poster is correct it had trophies day one and if memory serves even the ones that had trophy support patched in I dont think they poped retroactively 

Correct, I didn't have Internet for my PS3 when Dead Space came out and I was able to earn trophies in it. It says missing time stamps for my trophies.

• Like 4

Just now, Rick_Sanchez said:

Back in the day when you purchased a game that needed a future firmware you were able to update the firmware from the disk. I didn't have Internet on my PS3 back in the day and it's how I have missing timestamps on my first handful of trophies. 

Maybe Dead Space didn't need a certain firmware installed to be able to play it? Their PS3 wouldn't have known what trophies even were if it wasn't updated to 2.40 or higher. The question we need to find out is if the game auto unlocks trophies if it detects you've already done the requirements from the save file. If it does, then what the OP is saying could be plausible. Whether it's classed as legit for the leaderboard though is something the CRT would have to decide.

Just now, Stevieboy said:

Maybe Dead Space didn't need a certain firmware installed to be able to play it? Their PS3 wouldn't have known what trophies even were if it wasn't updated to 2.40 or higher. The question we need to find out is if the game auto unlocks trophies if it detects you've already done the requirements from the save file. If it does, then what the OP is saying could be plausible. Whether it's classed as legit for the leaderboard though is something the CRT would have to decide.

no it had trophies which means it absolutely required said firmware. I remember every so often when I got a new game it had me update the firmware which includes when trophies were introduced. Which means if a game had trophies, you had to update the firmware to include trophy support. 

• Like 2

Just now, Rick_Sanchez said:

no it had trophies which means it absolutely required said firmware. I remember every so often when I got a new game it had me update the firmware which includes when trophies were introduced. Which means if a game had trophies, you had to update the firmware to include trophy support. 

If that's the case then the OP's story isn't true.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Rick_Sanchez said:

False, it came with trophies. My ps3 wasn't connected to the Internet when I got dead space and I still earned trophies.

Correct, I didn't have Internet for my PS3 when Dead Space came out and I was able to earn trophies in it. It says missing time stamps for my trophies.

Yeah I didn't have internet at all for my ps3 for a good long while (I live way out in the county/sticks where we still don't have very great internet but I have a hotspot) I just updated by the game disks 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stevieboy said:

If that's the case then the OP's story isn't true.

It is true. I played through the game and did everything without popping any trophies, before I had the trophy system on my PS3. I later updated the PS3 and played the game again and I distinctly remember the trophies were autopopping, and these were the first trophies I ever earned. For example I got the trophy for the collectibles when I picked up one more collectible, and I got the trophy for getting 30 kills with a certain weapon when I got one more kill with that weapon. 

2 hours ago, closertim said:

Maybe his ps3 wasn’t updated to handle trophies till later on…. 

Thats right. I didn't have the trophy system installed on my PS3 when I first beat the game and did the trophy requirements. That's why some trophies autopopped after I updated the system software and played a new game. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Helyx said:

So, was there even any cheat software available April 2009? If it wasn't available, and if Dead Space has encrypted save files, then there's not much to discuss.

The save file isn't encrypted so any platinum save could have been used to auto-pop the trophies in the same way back then: https://www.thetechgame.com/Tutorials/op=view/id=1578/all-working-trophy-hacks-no-cfw-jb-hacks.html 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Helyx said:

Well, there goes my shot at debunking any nefarious actions on OP's behalf.

PS3s pre-OFW2.4 (or whatever version introduced trophies to the OS) would have no indication of what a trophy was (as noted previously). Progress made on OP's original save file would retain any progress towards potential trophy unlocks. After updating the firmware, the system would re-scan the save during gameplay and unlock any trophies that would have previously unlocked (like all collectible trophies popping at once).

You can connect a PS3 to the internet and sync the internal clock without signing up for a PSN ID, so it's possible to get these trophies in the way OP claims, without having "missing timestamps".

I believe OP, and the timestamps certainly reflect legitimate gameplay (considering his save was in Chapter 5)...except for the trophies for severing limbs. The 1000 limb trophy pops before the trophies for 20 and 500 limbs. That's a weird thing to have out of place, but if this is compared against known cheaters of Dead Space, would they have the same pattern or would all 3 limb trophies show they popped together?

I haven't looked through the disputers other games, but if there's nothing cheated in other games, then I feel this flag should be lifted.

What's very confusing for me looking at this game on his profile is there not all autopopped but also the time frames are just all over the place like beating chapter 5 days before chapter 4 and various things hours apart. You would think if they was auto popped they would be seconds to minutes apart cheat or legit it still looks odd I don't remember a chapter select to explain the out of order chapters but someone might be able to explain?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

I don't remember a chapter select to explain the out of order chapters but someone might be able to explain?

OP was mid-playthrough when he updating his firmware, so his trophies start in Chapter 5 and continue until the end of the campaign. Then, OP does another playthrough and the trophies for Chapter 1 through Chapter 4 unlock. The only trophies that don't make sense are the limbs.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Helyx said:

OP was mid-playthrough when he updating his firmware, so his trophies start in Chapter 5 and continue until the end of the campaign. Then, OP does another playthrough and the trophies for Chapter 1 through Chapter 4 unlock. The only trophies that don't make sense are the limbs.

Except the game would require the PS3's firmware to be updated to a firmware that would include trophies. My original PS3 was never connected to the Internet till much later after Dead space was released. Dead Space launched with trophies which shows on my list as all obtained with missing timestamps which is only possible if a PS3 was never connected to the Internet when the trophies were earned. If dead space launched without trophies but it was patched in later, then missing timestamps would theoretically be impossible.

Edited by Rick_Sanchez
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Rick_Sanchez said:

Except the game would require the PS3's firmware to be updated to a firmware that would include trophies. My original PS3 was never connected to the Internet till much later after Dead space was released. Dead Space launched with trophies.

I don't see how any of that is relevant to anything I've said, but having more info never hurts...

Edited by Helyx
100% relevant

3 minutes ago, Helyx said:

I don't see how any of that is relevant to anything I've said, but having more info never hurts...

You claimed op was in mid playthrough on chapter 5 then updated to a firmware with trophy support. However, as Dead Space requires a firmware that includes trophies, playing on an earlier firmware without trophy support would be impossible. Hence the theory of him being on a non trophy supported firmware playing Dead Space then updating to a firmware with trophy support is 100% impossible. His story is 100% bunk.

Edited by Rick_Sanchez
  • Like 3