Difficulty of this game (help)

I know there's a thread on here about this already but I might not get help if I just update that one.

Now obviously... I'm currently playing Tales of Graces f (freaking great BTW)... but my next game in my backlog... is this one. Now admittedly I did get all of the the gems in N. Sane Trilogy outside of the speedrunning one in Crash 3. But... I already know and realize that there's no way I'm going to be able to do this in this game. It's clearly too ridiculously difficult.

So what I'm trying to ask is... if I don't go for the Platinum... or all of the gems/collectibles/100%/everything... how difficult is this game if I just want to beat it? If I beat this game... that's good enough for me IMO. As for 'True Endings' or whatever... I'll just watch them on YouTube or something I guess.

So what difficulty am I looking at if I just want to beat this game? I beat N. Sane Trilogy like I said (with all gems in all games except for the speedrunning one in Crash 3)

Edited by SelectiveGamer

16 minutes ago, SelectiveGamer said:

I know there's a thread on here about this already but I might not get help if I just update that one.

Now obviously... I'm currently playing Tales of Graces f (freaking great BTW)... but my next game in my backlog... is this one. Now admittedly I did get all of the the gems in N. Sane Trilogy outside of the speedrunning one in Crash 3. But... I already know and realize that there's no way I'm going to be able to do this in this game. It's clearly too ridiculously difficult.

So what I'm trying to ask is... if I don't go for the Platinum... or all of the gems/collectibles/100%/everything... how difficult is this game if I just want to beat it? If I beat this game... that's good enough for me IMO. As for 'True Endings' or whatever... I'll just watch them on YouTube or something I guess.

So what difficulty am I looking at if I just want to beat this game? I beat N. Sane Trilogy like I said (with all gems in all games except for the speedrunning one in Crash 3)

It's not a hard game if you only want to beat it. Of course there will be sections or levels which are hard at first but it's still doable and the biggest problem with Crash 4 is that the levels are very long. So keep that in mind before you start it. Other than that it"s still a great game and I highly recommend it.

Edited by ShadyWARcotix

On 7/4/2022 at 2:50 AM, JohnCenaSong- said:

It's definitely harder than the trilogy by a decent margin but it's not crazy difficult and I think if someone's capable of 100%ing 1,2 & 3 then with just a little extra push they should still be capable of doing the same for 4. It'll be longer, there will be some speedbumps, but I have faith in people.

Ive platted the trilogy and have no idea how anyone plats this. The speedruns are crazy that you also need platinum relics and the levels are harder amd longer. 

No to mention the perfect relics. If crash trilogy is a 7/10 this is without doubt 9 or 10

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dannyswfc9 said:

The speedruns are crazy that you also need platinum relics and the levels are harder amd longer.

You know what, my bad there... I completely forgot that the trilogy only required gold relics! In my head I thought they also required platinums as that's what I remembered going for while playing the games. The jump from golds to platinums might be intimidating to those who only scraped the golds in the trilogy. Apologies there, I totally forgot xD.

Taking the relics aside though I reckon what I said still stands regarding clearing out all the levels and gems etc. 

That being said, I did feel a lot of the platinum times themselves were more lenient on 4 than some of the trilogy (1&2 specifically) especially the level with the multi-mask section at the end which is almost a guaranteed purple developer time relic if you can make it through. The time leniency makes any difficulty come more from not dying whilst you're rushing than being especially fast and precise.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 5:47 AM, MrGarland said:

From 34:39 onward gives a good explanation how hard it is to platinum. Since I've managed to do that, I'll agree what he says.

I've never played a Crash game in my life, even having owned PS1 and PS2 from day 1.  The points that this guy brings up about the sheer unnecessary asks for the platinum, make this game completely uninteresting to me.  Just seems like a big frustration with very little reward.

• Like 2

It's a fantastic game no matter how you look at it in my opinion. 

(a) For those who just want an experience playing through the levels, the game is challenging enough to offer a good time

(b) For those who want the platinum, this game should be viewed in a similar light to a racing game: you grind the track over and over until you perfect it. Some difficult levels do get a bit frustrating but the reward when you finally nail them makes it worth it. 

The only negative is the inverted levels imo, but I saw those as almost a victory lap. Once I had become good enough at the game by doing the N. Sanely Perfect Relics, I could breeze through the N. Verted and enjoy how much better I was at the game compared to when I played it through the first time, which can be a rewarding experience in itself. 

Edited by SkippiesBar
  • Like 4

Before the patch correcting the hitboxes of crates hit by Polar, desyncing obstacles (especially in Toxic Tunnels) or regarding the general loose performance of the game on PS4 FAT/Slim (from 30 to 60 FPS all the way), the game deserved to be at least 8/10, even today the triple spin or some of levels demand extraordinary precision and bearing the local/global cycles. It's not the hardest game in the world, far from it, but if you have problem with time reaction and spatial awareness in 3D platformers (yellow circle is a saver, but still), you will suffer while going for a plat

From what I understand, recent patches made the hardest part of the game (the Polar sections) easier, so it might be more along the line of an 8/10 as those were some serious rage moments repeating those levels for the perfect runs lol

It's something that is definitely worth playing but expect to put in a lot of time. It's highly skill-dependent. I was over 160 hrs when I got my plat at launch (definitely some afk time).

I remember seeing people in the 70hr range and below. It made me feel like crap lol

I fully cleared the game on Switch (it didn't come out in Korea on ps4) and the patches were a life saver. After 1.05, 1.07 and 1.2, I could feel the jumps were smoother but most importantly they fixed the FPS drop issues that could entirely ruin your speedrun attempts. Mainly, the Triple jump was really not balanced when the game came out. If you play on ps5, that must be less hard than what it used to be. I will give it a try once I'm done with my backlog.

If you only aim to beat the game, I highly recommended. The game is very fun and easy to medium difficulty and if you still struggle, the game will help you. 

There is modern mode to completely get rid of lives so you never worried about running out of life mid stage. The game gives you very fair number of checkpoints and will spawn extra checkpoints if you died too many times also grants you an extra 1-2 masks too. 

But when comes to 106% completion the game simply destroy your insanity and ask you to be a perfectionist. Not only you have to perfectly grab everything without dying once and need to be super fast without dying too.
You’ll also need to do 3-4 playthroughs if you are god in platformer and 6-15 playthroughs at least depends on your skill 

Edited by avatary1985
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I finally bit the bullet and bought this in the sale.

As a fan of the series since the late 90s I knew this 8nstallment looked awful compared to the other games.

I was right, it's a bad game and bloody hard too.

10/10 for difficultly(far to much to remember). I average between 20-30 life's on your average level. For the 1st cortex battle it took me 104 life's to beat him.

Crap, Crap, Crap. I'll be glad once I've got to the end.

Edit.

I finally beat this steaming pile of shit of a game.

Took 118 lifes off me after Cortex crossed me the jumping on the platforms was shite.

Then one of the final level took me about 285 lifes.

Needless to say this crap game is done and deleted.

Edited by RSmark84

• 2 months later...
On 6/18/2023 at 9:43 PM, RSmark84 said:

I finally bit the bullet and bought this in the sale.

As a fan of the series since the late 90s I knew this 8nstallment looked awful compared to the other games.

I was right, it's a bad game and bloody hard too.

10/10 for difficultly(far to much to remember). I average between 20-30 life's on your average level. For the 1st cortex battle it took me 104 life's to beat him.

Crap, Crap, Crap. I'll be glad once I've got to the end.

Edit.

I finally beat this steaming pile of shit of a game.

Took 118 lifes off me after Cortex crossed me the jumping on the platforms was shite.

Then one of the final level took me about 285 lifes.

Needless to say this crap game is done and deleted.

I think you're exaggerating a bit. Yes, there's a lot of stuff to memorize. Yes, Cortex Castle is hard. And yes, the platinum is incredibly difficult and frustrating. However, all of that doesn't mean the game is shit. It is flawed, don't get me wrong, but it's still a great game. Not to mention, there's nothing more satisfying than clearing the level perfectly after a lot of trial and error. Same can be said about the platinum, where the satisfaction really shines. I doubt that everything I said will change your opinion of the way you see the game, but I just wanted say that after seeing your post. That's all.

To me anyone who rates this less than a 8 out 10 is full of shit. Unless they have done shit like VVVVVV, Cloudberry Kingdom or Splasher. This platinum is really hard, like the levels are long as fk, full of traps and you got break every box without dying and speedrun through 38 levels which it is a lot. The triple spin is not easy to get used to it as well, that just my opinion

Edited by bdias10
  • Like 1

Extremely and BS hard, asking us to repeat levels with a filter [ the cartoon paper dot one is positively headache making ] in reverse to get another Gem which is upside down, and time trials where you have to get the Platinum, rather than in the N Sane trilogy where you need to gain gold only.  Not to mention the dreaded Permadeath of every level so I hit a brick wall with it and its sitting at 75% and thankfully I didn't buy it, it was Free on PS+ 

• 3 weeks later...

Going for plat in this game is not fun. I'm pretty sure I could have completed it if I kept banging my head against the wall, but it wasn't worth the headache. I only needed one more N.Sanely Perfect Relic to complete the Perfectionist trophy. I needed the vast majority of the Platinum Relics for Faster Than Sound. I keep looking at it and think about going back to finish the plat, but getting back to the skill level required to do it will probably take a while.

For the type of player on a site like this, it's a fun game for a normal story completion. The highly liked comment earlier in the thread that says the game is approachable for everyone; I disagree with that. For a casual gamer, I very much doubt they would enjoy playing this. A lot of trophy hunters don't seem to understand the skill level of the average casual gamer.

Edited by NathanW18