How did you tackle this?

tonkie18

Which order did you do the playthroughs?

I’ve been following the guide on here and I’m doing the survival playthrough without upgrading anything. Each chapter is taking forever and the trophies are very slow coming. I also need to go back to each chapter as I’ve missed collectibles. 

I guess the speed run has to be fast.. but will akumu take forever too? I just don’t feel I’m getting very far with it at all. 

Did it take other people ages to get through survival? Or is it just me? I do tend to take double the amount of time on a game than guides suggest ?

15 minutes ago, tonkie18 said:

Which order did you do the playthroughs?

I’ve been following the guide on here and I’m doing the survival playthrough without upgrading anything. Each chapter is taking forever and the trophies are very slow coming. I also need to go back to each chapter as I’ve missed collectibles. 

I guess the speed run has to be fast.. but will akumu take forever too? I just don’t feel I’m getting very far with it at all. 

Did it take other people ages to get through survival? Or is it just me? I do tend to take double the amount of time on a game than guides suggest 1f62c.png

try to enjoy it first time round, i did a survival play through with a collectables run at the same time, then i did a new game plus for kill counts etc, i havent done nightmare yet or a speedrun, but id say 3 playthroughs are needed , i don't intend to plat it tho, i did so with number 2 but not one - akumu will kill u in one hit from the enemy's , best do to that till very last

• Like 1

Yeah I’m not looking forward to Akumu at all. I wish I had done my first playthrough for enjoyment/collectibles like you. I decided to be efficient and follow a guide this time as I’m notorious at missing things/ruining the game somehow. 

Stupidly I chose this as my 500th platinum milestone. I initially started the game about 6 years ago but I couldn’t get past the first chapter. So it was kind of proving to myself that I’ve improved and I’m capable of completing it now. Probably a bad idea. Still don’t think I possess the skills for this game ? and dreading akumu!

I've gotten the plat 3 times and approached the third one this way:

1) Survival + no upgrades + all collectibles run (if you miss a couple in a chapter, don't worry, you can clean up later, but it helps to confirm which ones you're missing), get as much green goo as possible and DON'T OPEN ANY LOCKERS IN THE SAVE AREA.

2) Once you've beaten the game and gotten the no upgrades trophy, load up a chapter with a close-by mirror to access the save area (I think Ch. 3 or 4 would work?), save your game, then start opening lockers for green goo and reloading if you get something less useful like syringes--ammo can be helpful depending on which weapons you prefer--and save each time you get green goo. This will take a while, but it's worth doing to cut down on how long it takes to upgrade everything.

3) After opening all lockers, work on getting all upgrades, focusing on whatever supports your playstyle, and also work on chapter-specific trophies or collectibles you missed using Chapter Select. Don't worry if you're unable to max everything out by the time you're done with cleanup.

4) Select Ch. 1 in Chapter Select and go for the speedrun trophy--you should be upgraded and familiar with the chapters enough to make a run for it in most areas, plus the green goo you earn along the way will help you with any remaining upgrades.

5) After getting the speedrun trophy, start a New Game on Akumu and take each chapter slowly. Don't be afraid to save like a madman, especially if you've made good progress (e.g., killing an enemy in Chapter 2's large open area, going back to save, killing another enemy without using ammo or getting detected, going back to save again, etc.). There's a great Akumu Playthrough guide here on PSNP along with videos to help you out.

Edited by Cloud_Squall78
Added text

Thankyou this is very succinct and will help to keep me organised. I am guilty however of opening the lockers ? I’m on chapter 9 I think now, should I not open anymore? 

I missed a lot of collectibles at the beginning but from chapter 3 onwards I’ve been pretty good and got most of them. 

3 times? Are you crazy ?

For some reason, The Evil Within just felt so fun to plat and it's probably one of my favorites. Evil Within 2 was more polished and also a great time to plat, but it was missing something that the first one has (can't really put my finger on it).

You're probably OK to stop opening lockers now, but if you follow my outline, I suggest only accepting green goo in every locker you open after finishing the first playthrough to minimize any chapter-grinding you might need for the remaining goo.

• Like 1

So what do I do if I open one and it isn’t green goo? Reload my save and try again? And what if it is green goo? Go and save? Can’t wait to spend all of this and have some weapons with some decent power! And some bloody stamina ?

im glad you’ve said that about EW2, I like playing the whole series and was hoping it was good too. 

• Like 1

I did my first run on survival with no upgrades, & yeah, it wasn't always easy. Don't give up on it, & don't stress akumo mode just yet. I'd suggest giving yourself as much experience with the game as possible first by going for everything else. Like for example; I want to say my path was no upgrades survival run, collectibles/chapter specific trophies, Speed run, & then Akumo.

I followed along with TheSeraphim17 for collectibles & Jigzaw_Killer's videos on YouTube for Akumo tips. It still took luck & plenty of retries, but I'm seriously considering going for the platinum again. I think it's one of the most rewarding games I've 100%. 

I'll attach my rather long write up of finishing the game years back (contains story spoilers, so if you'd like to read it, maybe wait until finishing your playthrough). Evil Within post.

6 hours ago, Gretchen27 said:

I did my first run on survival with no upgrades, & yeah, it wasn't always easy. Don't give up on it, & don't stress akumo mode just yet. I'd suggest giving yourself as much experience with the game as possible first by going for everything else. Like for example; I want to say my path was no upgrades survival run, collectibles/chapter specific trophies, Speed run, & then Akumo.

I followed along with TheSeraphim17 for collectibles & Jigzaw_Killer's videos on YouTube for Akumo tips. It still took luck & plenty of retries, but I'm seriously considering going for the platinum again. I think it's one of the most rewarding games I've 100%. 

I'll attach my rather long write up of finishing the game years back (contains story spoilers, so if you'd like to read it, maybe wait until finishing your playthrough). Evil Within post.

Hey thanks for this! I’m glad to hear it’s possible on survival and no upgrades, as some areas feel impossible. Each chapter is taking me absolutely ages. I’m on chapter 10 now. 

I am really enjoying it though and it does feel good when I get past something I never thought I would. These bosses are terrifying ?

Ill look at your write up after this playthrough. I’ll need all the help I can get not just for akumu but I’m terrible at speed runs also and usually avoid games with those!

• Like 1