Outlast Insane: Your triumphs and woes

ShadowGandalf

So, this thread is to discuss your attempts at Insane difficulty, be they jubilantly victorious, or frustratingly tragic.

Be aware, this thread may contain spoilers.

I've been struggling hard. I'll admit, I've died 3 or 4 times in the basement where you restore power, but i'm getting better at it. I've died once in the large flooded area by Chris Walker, and Trager has got me twice. My most recent attempt, I eluded Trager but Walker got me again during the Sprinker valves objective.

I'm learning as I go, progressing further and further on each attempt. I WILL do it eventually. The most frustrating parts are the unskippable cutscenes. Especially the 5 minute one with Trager. Having to sit through them again and again.

So, you have any stories of Insane mode to tell?

• Like 1

It ended up taking me eight attempts, some of which were more frustrating than others.

Attempt 1: Death in the Prison Block to the variant that chases you when you open the door to the security room.  I ran back to the room with the lockers and the jail cell, ran into the cell and forgot which direction the bed faced and failed at hiding underneath it.
Attempt 2: Death in the Administration Block in the basement. I was trying to rush too much and wasn't paying close enough attention.
Attempt 3: Death in the Return to the Administration Block at the end to Chris Walker after Father Martin dies. I did these first three attempts in one sitting and was feeling really good about this one. I was taking my time a bit more and trying not to rush, but this was a stupid mistake. When Chris chases you, my strategy was to hop into the bathroom (first door on the right down the right hallway) and wait it out, but instead of hiding in the right stall where he can't see you, I opened the middle stall and didn't close the door. I turned around to see Walker staring me in the face before he one-shotted me.
Attempt 4: Death in the Courtyard to the first area with Chris Walker.  Previously (My normal playthrough and Attempt 3), I'd been able to hug the right wall and run to the crates / tanks to climb up, but for some reason this didn't work and he grabbed me.  For all later attempts, I noticed this wouldn't work, because he seems to wander randomly.  If you run to the right corner without moving forward along the fence after dropping down, you should be able to see his eyes glowing with night vision.  One time he went to the left of a tree and I ran by him, another he was coming toward me (without finding me), so I did a big loop around the left.  I never found a "failproof" method to getting by him and always had to be on my toes, but since you can keep an eye on him it's not too bad.
Attempt 5: Definitely the most frustrating of my attempts, I made it to the Underground Lab without any issues.  I was worried that I would screw up the big jump after climbing all the stairs at the end.  I made the jump without issue and booked it toward the decontamination chamber. When I was literally right in front of the chamber, the Walrider grabbed me. I never stopped running, so I'm still not entirely sure why this happened. I must have run too wide through the dark hallway or something. Seeing as there's nothing that can kill you after you make it to the chamber, this was very discouraging and I debated taking a break from the game for a week or so. But I pushed on.
Attempt 6: Death in the Female Ward to the room with the two naked dudes that you can just run through, right before losing your camera.  This was partly my fault for not paying enough attention.  I was streaming the attempt while talking through what I was doing to a friend over Skype.  I was talking about how some rooms were really easy to just run through like this one and then didn't move enough to the right after entering the room. The dude grabbed me and I was gutted.
Attempt 7: Death in the Courtyard to a bad jump.  Another dumb mistake, I made a bad jump when running along the top roof.
Attempt 8: Complete! I almost died in the Female Ward when you're being chased after getting your camera back because I took a wrong turn (for the first time ever), but I realized before it was too late.  Due to what happened in Attempt 5, I was so nervous when running through the final hallway in the Underground Lab that the Walrider would catch me again, but I made it.

Being able to speedrun through the majority of it, it took me about an hour and 20 mins or so.  Happy to answer any questions about any chapters, because every potential place you can die has a "trick" to it where you can make it through alive 100% of the time.

Edited by DangerSpice
  • Like 4

Dang, Im still stuck in the basement...

I haven;'t completed it on Insane but this is the best way to do it:

As soon as you enter the left room turn on the switch, then run to the second one and turn that on, and wait in the locker.

If the monster ever starts chasing you, RUN WHERE YOU CAME FROM; he doesn't go to the stairs, so you're safe there. After its safe again, run to the main switch or sneak and then run back to the same place again or quickly do the last switch.

I haven;'t completed it on Insane but this is the best way to do it:

As soon as you enter the left room turn on the switch, then run to the second one and turn that on, and wait in the locker.

If the monster ever starts chasing you, RUN WHERE YOU CAME FROM; he doesn't go to the stairs, so you're safe there. After its safe again, run to the main switch or sneak and then run back to the same place again or quickly do the last switch.

Thanks! Will try this  :yay:

• Like 1

The way I did the basement:

From the flooded room, looking at the wall with the two doors, hit the right room switch, run to the right room, hit that switch, then hide under the bed.  The variant will run into the room and then walk out.  A few seconds after he leaves the room, run to the electrical room to pull the switch. Even if he sees you, keep going.  When you get to the room, stay in the back, the variant will come in, and just run by him.  You'll get hit once, but that's okay, because you can take two hits.  Run to turn the power back on, then do a 180, jump across, and run out.

There are obviously other ways to do it (without getting hit), but since it'll likely take multiple tries, I tried to always take the faster way in the earlier chapters.

Edited by DangerSpice

Had a few attempts at this today- no success so far

Furthest I had got was female ward fuses, I just needed my final fuse and bumped into the patrolling inmate, I got stuck between the wall and him and died :(

• 3 weeks later...

Was lucky enough to do it on my first try, thanks to PowerPyx

Show off. <_<

Seriously though, congrats on that. It's one thing to SEE how it's done, but pulling off yourself can still be tricky. One mis-timed jump, one over eager movement, and you could blow everything. So well done. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

1. On my first try I died right away in the flooded basement...

2. After you get blasted down through the window into the pile of bodies. When you get into a room with 2 inmates I miss the door and didn't close it fast enough so he got me. This was probably the stupidest mistake of them all...

3. Died on Trager. After looking up a guide (thanks to PowerPyx and PS4Trophies) I felt ashamed for it. It's a really easy once you have a guide.

4. Walker got me out in the courtyard because I just couldn't see him in the dark and he was standing right next to those pallets you have to climb up on...

On the fourth try I finished the run but I was being very careful with everything, tooking it slow, watch 2 versions of a speedrun because I really didn't wanted to go through it again. This game becomes mostly just frustrating after you beat it for the first time.
If anyone needs advice with this trophy I am always happy to help :)

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

Did it third try.

1. Died in the courtyard of all places, got too cocky and tried running

2. I can't remember lol

3. Finally did it, once you get to final chapter, the only annoyance is the final jump. My tip would be to take a few second s to get ready , and jump at the last second (look at your feet). My final time was just over an hour, even the doctor part was easy (probably due to how scripted it was). The hardest part was either the female ward (fuse part, due to how scared you are of dying), and the part where you activate the sprinklers. I think PS4trophies video is the best guide, if you can get the same rthythm, you're all set.

I too, did it my third try.

1) I died getting killed by Trager. I went to shut a door to stop him from following me, and I ended up opening another one instead.

2) I died getting killed by Chris, right before the final chapter starts. There's a part where you actually need to run at him, then charge left, and jump into a vent, and I missed the 'left' bit completely xD

3) The only thing that stops people from beating Insane mode (and this is coming from the first Australian who did it), is nerves. People get jumpy and make mistakes.

• 2 weeks later...

It irks me to admit, it probably took me 10-15 times to do this. All of my failed attempts came either right before the showers or in the big open sewer area where you have to sneak past Chris and make the ladder jump. However, once I nailed the ladder jump (I think I fucked that up 3 or 4 times), I did not die anymore after that and got my trophy last night.

Get past the first 25 minutes, follow the guide, and it's cake after that

TootyMcNasty.png