Outlast Insane: Your triumphs and woes

ShadowGandalf

Haven't triumphed yet but figured I could just edit this post once i do. How ever I have 2 BIG woe's and boy did they suck.

First run: Everything was going fine and rather slowly got past everything I thought I was going to die at. Wrong, I made it to where you lose the camcorder and I picked it back up and on the run back I forgot to jump up on the lockers in the bathroom and quickly got smacked down. Heart breaking to be 15~ minutes from done w/ the game not including the long videos and losing it there on such a silly mistake.

Second run: the first run was heart breaking, this run was soul crushing and made me want to give up, I was about 90 minutes into this run making much better time overall. Made it all the way to the underground lab and turn 1 of billys 2 life supports off, nice and easy. On to the next one that involves running up the huge flight of straights and then having to make the jump. I was worried here because on my normal run I had died to this jump before, I had sprinted all the way up the stairs and took probably half a second to line up the jump that was going to be my make or break moment. Wrong decision, that half a second I took to line up billy caught up and killed me before I even had the chance to attempt the jump.

Third run: Weakest of the runs yet, made it to the male ward the fastest I ever had before. In my haste during the chase sequence before the doctor I let off pushing the cabinet thing too soon and couldn't open the door so quickly pushed it the last inch and opened the door. Got hit, in a panic I turned the wrong way out the door and dead end and got hit the second time trying to run the right way.

That's all i have so far going to try an attempt a day until i get this.

Edited by lurch_9944
new attempt made

• 2 months later...

Managed it in three.

First attempt: died embarrassingly early flicking the generators on in the flooded basement. Forgot where I was going on the way out, panicked, ran straight into the variant, got hit, went past him toward the crack in the wall but forgot what side of the room it was on, he caught up. Dead. Really stupid, played the section plenty of times before and should have known, would have been fine with calm nerves, first sign a level head is what you need for the run above all else.

Second attempt: made it all the way to Trager in what was till then a perfect run. Thought I'd lost him in the corridors trying to provoke him into the room with the vent (was using the tactic where you lure him in, jump in the vent, rush down and shut the door behind him, then run to move the shelf) went back to find him and he was right behind the corner ffs. Dead.

Third attempt: Knew the first half very well at this point and since that is (for me) the harder half, I was flying for most of the run. Took a break halfway through after the Trager section just to keep the nerves getting to me again. Had a close call or two, the guy roaming the area when you're collecting fuses is a nightmare and I was almost caught by Chris in one of the administration halls towards the end, I swear the vent there is a dodgy climb, had to jump three times to get it. Overall pleased with the run though.

Great trophy, tests your ability without feeling overly frustrating or luck dependent like many trophies of this kind can be, neither death I had felt unfair. Most of all it's a matter of knowing the game and keeping calm. I hear the Outlast 2 insane run is the exact opposite, will have to give it a try now though.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

15 tries later and after stupidly dying at the last possible checkpoint before disconnecting Billy (imagine my frustration being so close to getting the trophy only to die to a stupid mistake on my part) I finally got it, and feel so alleviated. Now Whistleblower left and I only hope it doesn't take as long as this took me

• 1 month later...

I managed to die by every stupid possible way,this video shows all my 4 deaths ,and if course I really have to die on the last fuckin jump,and the best thing I did nothing wrong i put on slow motion on my video to show i m not lying

Overall the game is amazing,and on insane you basically need to know what to do, nothing too much complicated in terms of skill,the main problem is dying by some stupid way and put 1 hour on the trash can....

I managed to complete Insane without a single hit by any enemy,it wasn't hard as long as you don't fuck up,and i did one time on the prison part,i was luck to not die, this is my run if anyone wants to know how to pass some parts 

Just practice,and keep training and you get it eventually ?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If your just trophy hunting I found the best way was to do the collectables guide and explore everything before jumping into the insane mode. Chapters 2-7 are probably where everyone gets their nail biters but keep calm and remember your routes! Definitely do a run on nightmare and use chapter select if you need to do certain areas so that you get each part down packed. I was lucky enough to get through insane mode on ny first run but the practice will definitely aid you a lot!

• 4 weeks later...

For me actually, the Hardest Encounters are the buggy hell of a game... Did my first 2 trys. One ended at the Courtyard, just fell through the Door into nothing... and the second try Ended on the last Ladder (the one where you jump after the water part) in Sewer. Just fell again. Don't know if these are common bugs but I will reinstall the game overnight and try it again tomorrow.

• 6 months later...

Hello everyone,

Today I have beaten the Insane mode from Outlast ! I'm so proud of myself ?

It tooks me less than a week to master all the chapters from the main game.

After loosing at the very end because of a wrong way taken, I did it during the run after it.

I will now play the Whisthleblower dlc and see if I can manage to beat the insane mode again for the dlc ?

• 1 month later...

First try at Insane and everything was perfect until the very last part of the game in the lab when I begun to get nervous and after two almost game overs with the ghost I finally die after missing the jump in the elevated plataforms ☹️

Tomorrow it´s revenge time so wish me luck ?

EDIT

Finally got it yesterday at my third try after the game froze at a loading during my second run, now just need doing the insane run of the dlc ?

Edited by Zetsuo
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I took a break from Outlast for years because I figured Insane Mode just wasn't something I could handle.

Well... very recently I decided to revisit the game. After a couple more playthroughs to get all collectables and to practice, I managed to nail my Insane run on my first attempt. Had a couple close calls on chapters 1 and 3 due to panic-induced forgetfulness, but I mostly breezed through it.

A majority of the encounters/enemy behavior are so scripted that a specific tactic will be successful every time. Even the fuses section in Chapter 6 is extremely easy with the right strategy.

I did consult PS5Trophies' video for a bit of guidance during chapters 5 & 7, because there were 3 encounters I hadn't quite mastered.

Finally, I can play Whistleblower!

• Like 1

Hey guys, not sure if this helps any of you looking to get this done, but when I did it, I pretty much followed speedrun strats, I think specifically from the PS4 all chapters category.

I ended up basically skipping most of the game. For example, I skipped the interactions with the good doctor completely, skipped most of the prison area as well as the female ward. When I finished the game I had all 10 fingers and a camera with no cracks on the screen. The strats themselves aren't that hard to learn, but they do take practice.

Hope this helps, good luck on your runs! :gold:

Edited by RomanPeirs
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/3/2022 at 5:00 AM, RomanPeirs said:

Hey guys, not sure if this helps any of you looking to get this done, when I did it, I pretty much follow speedrun strats, I think specifically from the PS4 all chapters category.

I ended up basically skipping most of the game. For example, I skipped the interactions with the good doctor completely, skipped most of the prison area as well as the female ward. When I finished the game I had all 10 fingers and a camera with no cracks on the screen. The strats themselves aren't that hard to learn, but they do take practice.

Hope this helps, good luck on your runs! :gold:

puseecat692's insane main game wr video was the most helpful for the insane trophy 

from the keycard skip, prison block to sewer out of bounds shortcut, male ward pipe vent boost skipping trager, door hop despawning chris walker etc

• 1 month later...

Just got the Insane trophy for the main game, tough one for sure. Tho I think the DLC is much easier, am I the only one thinking that?

The worse thing that happened was when I was at the end of the DLC where his chasing you, I forgot to press L1.......

Edited by X3N0-py

• 3 months later...
On 5.8.2022 at 7:31 PM, X3N0-py said:

Just got the Insane trophy for the main game, tough one for sure. Tho I think the DLC is much easier, am I the only one thinking that?

Maingame is harder, I agree. I stood away from it for 8 years. Now I gave it another try. Insane run in the main game first, took me about 10 tries to make it, including replaying the story once to get familiar with the locations again + a few hours to learn the door glitches correctly and looking for ways to skip parts via glitches. In the end i used a small skip glitch in the beginning of the prison part and another one to skip about 10 mins in the female ward. The whole run took me about 1 hour. Still challenging. For the Whistleblower DLC also replayed the story once, then immediatly started the insane run and made it on first try, all without glitches. DLC only took me about 35-40 mins to finish on insane. Was way easier than the maingame. 

• 3 months later...

first try. died a few times on nightmare cuz i was just winging it but if you follow the guide(s) on youtube frame for frame there's very little room for error. The PS4Trophies guide for the fuse part isn't the way to go, you're gonna wanna watch the video linked below. Aside from that, Brian will take you all the way there. Legit pause before every turn and every door to watch the video and then catch up, and repeat. no trouble

It's always Walker that messes me up for 100%, the first few times when I came back to the game and immediately started on Insane he grabbed me from a crawl space in the sewers and messed up that run. He has killed me a few times in that sewer because I try to rush that area with the valves.

Too nerve-wracking and then I couldn't replicate what Powerpyx did when you find Walker in the courtyard and have to run to the door. I did everything perfect 3 times in a row only to be cheated by that part. For some reason he always grabs me there only to rip my head off. Kinda gave up that point but might come back to it. I just didn't know how to effectively run past him and get to the door on that difficulty.

10 hours ago, ElektrickRage said:

It's always Walker that messes me up for 100%, the first few times when I came back to the game and immediately started on Insane he grabbed me from a crawl space in the sewers and messed up that run. He has killed me a few times in that sewer because I try to rush that area with the valves.

Too nerve-wracking and then I couldn't replicate what Powerpyx did when you find Walker in the courtyard and have to run to the door. I did everything perfect 3 times in a row only to be cheated by that part. For some reason he always grabs me there only to rip my head off. Kinda gave up that point but might come back to it. I just didn't know how to effectively run past him and get to the door on that difficulty.

If it's the area I think, with the courtyard and you gotta run past him on the right to crawl in the hole - you gotta watch PS4Trophies guide for that part. What he does is run towards walker, get spotted, run back and do a counterclockwise circle around the gazebo just right there in the middle of the yard, at which point you get Walker behind you. Then, mad dash for the exit and he's a good 5 seconds behind you at that point. His video having commentary takes all mystery out of the decisions made

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I remember watching the Outlast series by the React channel in 2014/15 and absolutely loved it! Didn't have a PS4 or XB1 back then, but finally got to play it in 2021, and 100% completed it yesterday. I felt both Insane runs were fairly easy with guides (credits to PowerPyx and IFreeMz), practice (map layout, optimal routes, jump timing etc.) and good luck (AI patterns are random in certain areas). Took me 7 attempts for Lunatic and 2 for Bowelwhistler. I'll describe the deaths and near misses below ;

Death #1 : Variant in basement's generator area. Got spotted while rushing to the switch, but got trapped in a doorway.

Death #2 : Two Variants in the hallway with the security switch. Tried to rush this part and skip the hiding part (necessary to despawn the running Variant), but got double teamed in the hallway.

Death #3 : Chris in the sewer's waist-high water area with the ladder jump. Somehow, Chris homed in on my location from afar. Didn't realize I was supposed to take it slow there, and not hold down L1.

Death #4 : Trager sequence. Took a wrong turn and got trapped in a dead end near the door to the elevator.

Death #5 : Trager sequence. Tried to trap him behind the door in between the two bedrooms, but as soon as I walked out the door facing the hallway, he looped back/spawned to my right. I didn't get enough time to push the container.

Death #6 : Chris in the laundry's sprinkler area. I was too slow and didn't get to run past him in the very first encounter. Crouched behind the doorway, but I panicked as his footsteps got louder, and tried to run back but got grabbed instantly.

Death #7 : Cannibal chase near the door with the flashing alarm in the dark hallway. I was too slow and got hit twice before I could climb up the vent.

Near miss #1 : Two Variants in the fuse area. I ended up doing the sequence differently from PowerPyx's guide. Almost got trapped in the hallway by the running Variant.

Near miss #2 : Chris in the courtyard with the rotunda. I was a little slow during the loop around, and barely crawled through the hole in time.

Near miss #3 : Chris in the dark hallway before the Father Martin sequence. I was slow, but managed to run into the room with the vent a split-second before he spotted me.

Near miss #4 : Chris in the bright hallway after the Father Martin sequence. Nearly got grabbed when he came through the second-to-last door (I probably should have closed it).

Near miss #5 : Groom in the final chase sequence after getting the key. Nearly got grabbed while climbing up the vent.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

im kind of surprised this game is only rated a 3/10 difficulty. i remember getting my ass handed to me on insane mode when it first came out but maybe its easier now with guides. i recall the ending being pretty hard. i wouldnt want to do all that again to get to the ending and die. props to everyone who finished it

• 3 months later...

Death #1 - Prison. Completely derped and botched the jump over the railing because I forgot how to jump. I was really nervous about being 2 ft away from Chris in the dark and I kinda got paralyzed with fear, got stuck against the railing, and was spamming L1 and R1 trying to remember which button it was to jump. I attribute this absolutely brutal brain fart to the fact I spent about 40 hours playing Mirror’s Edge Catalyst a few weeks ago and some wires got crossed lol.

Death #2- Courtyard. My battery died literally right as I hopped over that fence into the first open part of the yard so I landed in the pitch black I sorta panicked and quickly changed the battery, but in the confusion my camera somehow ended up pointing upwards at the sky and it took me a few seconds to get my bearings and figure out which direction I was facing. I made a dash for the pallets but those extra wasted seconds ended up being costly because I got intercepted by Chris halfway.

Death #3 - Security Room. I was tempted to exclude this one since it is less than 5 mins into the game. When Chris entered the room and turned towards the security monitors, I went to exit the locker and run past him as per usual, but it must have been a split second too soon because he instantly whipped around and grabbed me by the throat as I was passing behind him. It scared the shit out of me too.

Death #4 - Female Ward. Got intercepted by the variant in the hallway between fuses #2 and 3. I wasn’t expecting him there because I didn’t see him there in Brian’s guide, and it completely caught me off guard. I realized later on that he always appears in that spot if you’re coming from the opposite room, so I’m not sure why it wasn’t that way in the video.

Death #5 - Female Ward. Died in the exact same section. This time it was because I was being chased and got completely turned around and couldn’t find the pathway back to the other fuses. The variant was on my heels the whole time and I just wasn’t able to get my bearings, and he got a 2nd hit on me as I was hopping through a window to safety.

Attempt #6 - Success

It’s a fun trophy and really not that difficult at all due to how short the game is when you speed through it. However, the moral of the story here for me is that it is always worth taking the extra time to do a practice run on Nightmare, and saves time in the long run.

I was lazy and opted to go straight from my first collectibles run to Insane mode and in hindsight this was definitely a mistake, as 4 of those deaths were directly attributed to the fact I was very unfamiliar with the environments and just trying to copy what I saw in a dark guide video. This was especially true with the Female Ward, which felt like a twisting labyrinth to me because I didn’t take the time to do a practice run through it or learn the enemy patterns beforehand.

On to Whistleblower DLC!

edit: Beat Whistleblower on Insane first try, it’s significantly easier.

Edited by dieselmanchild