(NEWS) - No more major updates for RDR2

1 hour ago, Infected Elite said:

Absolutely happy with this. Work on GTA 6 and maybe cause some outrage and make a Manhunt 3

Part of me is happy, the other part is a bit sad about the situation. The one thing I wanted from Rockstar is even the slightest of communication, so the newswire mentioning that there won’t be any big updates because they are working on GTA6 is better than randomly adding a lacklustre update and pretending that the game hasn’t been abandoned for over a year. 

Then and again, RDO had a lot of potential, I still to this day prefer RDR1 to RDR2 which is purely because of the online, if RDO would have gotten more care to it then it could have been better but chances are even once GTA6 is released RDR2 won’t ever get a big update and won’t have the chance that GTA5 had in the first couple of years.

Edited by Lewis_Y123

Thank god. So long this MTX ridden atrocity. Can't belive there are people calling Rockstar best in business. Like they haven't made good multiplayer experience in years. Farming those gold bars for 2 or 3 weeks just to unlock one class shows this studio doesn't know shit about making enjoyable multiplayer module. 

Now, let's see they make a new game, not another PS3 port. 

On 7/9/2022 at 3:23 PM, tonkie18 said:

The only victims I can see are the parents who are mercilessly harassed by their kids for bloody shark cards. I myself haven’t had this problem as I don’t let my daughter on GTA but I’ve had issues with Fortnite with her. As a parent you feel like you need to succumb to peer pressure as all of their friends have this or that.

Rockstar have milked the online on GTA5 and the amount of squealers on that game spending parents money is ridiculous. I never spent a penny but I had the best businesses, cars, weapons etc. But I had to grind incessantly and take advantage of every double/triple event for a couple of years. By the time I stopped I was level 500 or something and you’d see some level 50 kid with all the same stuff as me cause they bought it. Fair enough if they have enough disposable income. But some parents don’t. I’ve had my daughter beg and beg and beg for fortnite packs when money has been low - and we are comfortable. Feel bad on the parents who have it harder and get pressured into buying. Obviously making that purchase is a choice, but until you’ve had kids and understand how ruthless they can be til they get their own way and how exhausting that is, sometimes you just succumb to the pressure. Thankfully my daughter isn’t that bad and understands no means no (most of the time). 

You also don’t want your child being the only one who doesn’t have this or that. Bloody high school politics.

With kids they want everything NOW NOW NOW and Rockstar definitely make a pretty penny out of the younger ones who want all the best stuff in the game with all the constant updates they bring out. Unfortunately I’d say a good portion of their income come from bullied parents ?

I still fail to understand where this notion comes from; it's kids who spend all that money on microtransactions. Is it from the news we occasionally get "kid used parents' credit card to buy stuff in games for XX thousands", etc. This doesn't happen that often the companies would build a business on it.

I've seen a few reports showing the biggest spenders are usually 30-35 years old. Not teenagers with parents' ccs.

9 minutes ago, theSpirae said:

I still fail to understand where this notion comes from; it's kids who spend all that money on microtransactions. Is it from the news we occasionally get "kid used parents' credit card to buy stuff in games for XX thousands", etc. This doesn't happen that often the companies would build a business on it.

I've seen a few reports showing the biggest spenders are usually 30-35 years old. Not teenagers with parents' ccs.

Perhaps you’re not a parent? I have 3 children of differing ages. I hear from other parents, I hear from my daughter about the amount of money her friends have spent on this or that, I get emails from school regarding certain games not being allowed to be spoken about on school grounds because the competitiveness is becoming an issue (no really). It’s Facebook parent groups etc etc. I see it for my own eyes when I’m on GTA, when I can hear tiny level 50 squealer owning everything in the game - it doesn’t take a brainiac to work out mummy and daddy bought it for them. 

It isn’t just the odd news bulletin.

• Like 1

On 09/07/2022 at 9:55 AM, Sikutai said:

This is good for the Release of an RDR 3.

I'll be flabbergasted if this ever happens.

Given that RDR2 clearly didn't / doesn't meet their lofty expectations, and that it doesn't earn them GTA levels of money (although, let's be honest, it was never going to), and now that they have essentially dropped it altogether, I think the likelihood of them ever returning to Red Dead is extremely slim.

Personally, I'm not in the least bit bothered about the upcoming GTA.  I've had my fill of Rockstar.  I'll get around to playing RDR2's story mode eventually, and then I wouldn't be surprised if it's the last Rockstar game that I ever play.

17 hours ago, Lewis_Y123 said:

Part of me is happy, the other part is a bit sad about the situation. The one thing I wanted from Rockstar is even the slightest of communication, so the newswire mentioning that there won’t be any big updates because they are working on GTA6 is better than randomly adding a lacklustre update and pretending that the game hasn’t been abandoned for over a year. 

Then and again, RDO had a lot of potential, I still to this day prefer RDR1 to RDR2 which is purely because of the online, if RDO would have gotten more care to it then it could have been better but chances are even once GTA6 is released RDR2 won’t ever get a big update and won’t have the chance that GTA5 had in the first couple of years.

personally im happy, but I'm the kind of gamer who moves on fast. i beat a game, or for example since we are talking online... Call of Duty. Ill play the online for a few weeks and then super rarely after. I cant play the same shit endlessly regardless of how many updates or QOL improvements it gets.

My issue with RDR2 getting a ps5 update is the game came at the ass end of ps4 life. So it still looks pretty good. Hardly worth an upgrade imo. The online sucked since day 1 so im not shocked they stopped supporting and focused more on GTA V... which is far more profitable than RDR. But at the same time, GTA V has been done to death. Im tired of the same shit. So bring on GTA 6.

As for whoever said 30-35yr olds spend the most... nah, kids by far cause SOME, not all, SOME parents are stupid enough to leave their CCs and paypals accessible by kids who "accidentally" spend 10k on fortnite.

Its crazy to see.

13 hours ago, tonkie18 said:

Perhaps you’re not a parent? I have 3 children of differing ages. I hear from other parents, I hear from my daughter about the amount of money her friends have spent on this or that, I get emails from school regarding certain games not being allowed to be spoken about on school grounds because the competitiveness is becoming an issue (no really). It’s Facebook parent groups etc etc. I see it for my own eyes when I’m on GTA, when I can hear tiny level 50 squealer owning everything in the game - it doesn’t take a brainiac to work out mummy and daddy bought it for them. 

It isn’t just the odd news bulletin.

It's based on statistics as I mentioned previously. You can easily look it up, there have been quite a few surveys conducted on this issue and the biggest spenders were always adults, not teens or kids.

6 minutes ago, theSpirae said:

It's based on statistics as I mentioned previously. You can easily look it up, there have been quite a few surveys conducted on this issue and the biggest spenders were always adults, not teens or kids.

Right? But it doesn’t mean that teens and kids don’t spend any money? 

I don’t really care what the statistics say, I know from personal experience that parents are under pressure to spend money on games. Just because they might be in the minority of gamers doesn’t mean it isn’t happening. 

But I’m guessing you have a huge hard on to disagree with and invalidate everything I’m saying. So run back to the internet and find some more proof to dismiss me with ?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, theSpirae said:

To be fair, a survey with a thousand people doesn’t represent the whole playerbase, I would argue that it is mainly adults who take part in surveys. My guess would be that it’s a mixture of kids/teens and adults who are spending money.

Edited by Lewis_Y123

On 7/12/2022 at 9:53 AM, StewartBros said:

I'll be flabbergasted if this ever happens.

Given that RDR2 clearly didn't / doesn't meet their lofty expectations, and that it doesn't earn them GTA levels of money (although, let's be honest, it was never going to), and now that they have essentially dropped it altogether, I think the likelihood of them ever returning to Red Dead is extremely slim.

Personally, I'm not in the least bit bothered about the upcoming GTA.  I've had my fill of Rockstar.  I'll get around to playing RDR2's story mode eventually, and then I wouldn't be surprised if it's the last Rockstar game that I ever play.

The best people left Rockstar not too long after Red Dead Redemption 2 released anyway. So I'm not holding my breath for anything exciting from them anymore.

14 hours ago, jackmadrox said:

To all the people saying they're happy that Rockstar is abandoning Red Dead Online for GTA: Just wait. That pendulum will eventually swing it's way over to your side of the gate, in one shape or another. 

Yeah I really don't understand this mentality at all. This isn't some 4 person indie dev team we're talking about here, it's one of the largest and most successful devs/publishers in the entire history of the industry. They print money like it's going out of fashion. Rockstar has more than enough resources to work on multiple projects at once. It is painfully obvious that this is just the usual Rockstar PR spin, and it's sad to see not only people eating it up, but actually championing this kind of behaviour. 

Rockstar are not what they used to be, not even close. I don't know why it's so difficult for some people to accept that fact. I have adored Rockstar for most of my life. Some of my fondest gaming memories involve their games, and if I were to create a list of my favourite games of all time, Rockstar would dominate the list. This isn't me hating just for the sake of hating. Rockstar has serious issues and fanboying and claiming everything is fine is not going to make those issues go away. I reached a point a while ago where I had to wake up and smell the coffee. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

Rockstar are not what they used to be, not even close. I don't know why it's so difficult for some people to accept that fact. 

I’ll never understand why some gamers feel the need to defend every action of the large companies. And it’s not just Rockstar (Square-Enix is another that gets these strange paeans of praise from gamers).

But anyway, like others have said, I find it hard to believe that Rockstar is so bereft of staff that they have to borrow from Peter to pay Paul. They can do two things at the same time.

I’d have so much more respect for these companies if they’d just be honest. “We’re not going to work on RDR2 anymore because we don’t want to.”

• Like 1