Favourite Video Game Intro?

The_Kopite

A few that I also think are great, but a bit long for a video:

Portal 2 (waking up/ meeting Wheatley / moving room / GladOS awakens)

Final Fantasy VII (destroying the reactor / Cloud falls)

Jett: The Far Shore (everything up to and including the jump-drop landing on the new planet)

Uncharted 2 (Waking on the Train / Climbing)

Resident Evil 7 (everything up to and including “dinner”!)

• Like 2

Ah, I was just about to post the Soul Reaver one myself; certainly my top choice, and I still have the narration memorized all these years later.

My second choice would probably be Hitman 2: Silent Assassin.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, StraightVege said:

Ah, I was just about to post the Soul Reaver one myself; certainly my top choice, and I still have the narration memorized all these years later.

My second choice would probably be Hitman 2: Silent Assassin.

That’s such a good one!

Actually - that reminds me - it’s not exactly the game intro, as there is a fair bit of play before it…

…but the cutscene after finishing the training in the recent Hitman - showing all his iconic hits from the previous games - is awesome too!

• Like 1

Indeed! Beautifully simple, yet so tense. You just know someone with a past like 47's cannot simply turn over a new leaf, and some serious shit is about to go down.

Yeah, I love the Hitman 2016 one as well, although I'm not sure how I feel about canonizing the exact methods 47 used for each target. I'd rather it remain ambiguous, but that's just me. Fantastic lines by Grey, though: "You were always the best. Nobody ever came close. You defined the art, and it defines you." Seems the version which you embedded is music only.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StraightVege said:

Indeed! Beautifully simple, yet so tense. You just know someone with a past like 47's cannot simply turn over a new leaf, and some serious shit is about to go down.

Yeah, I love the Hitman 2016 one as well, although I'm not sure how I feel about canonizing the exact methods 47 used for each target. I'd rather it remain ambiguous, but that's just me. Fantastic lines by Grey, though: "You were always the best. Nobody ever came close. You defined the art, and it defines you." Seems the version which you embedded is music only.

Yeah - think that must be the trailer version or something?

I agree though - great line!

• Like 1

Rolling Thunder 2 (arcade) intro

Short but really sweet, with music by Sampling Masters AYA (Ayako Saso). It starts with a satellite being suddenly stricken by a laser blast from an unknown attacker. I love how the BGM wails as the satellite gets taken out, and then gets more furious to convey the ensuing chaos. The last bit features some nice scaling effects that didn't make it into the Mega Drive/Genesis version.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge

I think the Knight intro sets up the perfect opening for a game, first thing you do is burn Joker's dead boddy, always fun, then you're some random policeman getting a surprise dose of Scarecrow's new toxin and may or may not kill random innocent civilians, it's up to you, after that, you get an overview of the city being evacuated and the criminals taking over it, then... you're in, this is what you're dealing with for the rest of the game, the city is yours to take back... one long night

it gives you the real feeling of being the Batman, and being in Gotham City, more than any other Batman game

Crash Bandicoot 2 title screen and intro cutscene are burned into my memory. I still like their energy and the space vibes. The voice acting is for sure something by today's standarts, but I'm so used to it that it sounds less weird than it probably should. I love it.

The intro of Metal Gear Solid is iconic. It would have to be my favourite to this day. You listen to the mission briefing while you're watching a well-directed cutscene. You don't know what kind of crazy plot is waiting for you yet. The weirdest thing at that point is the animal codenames of the bad guys. And you probably don't yet realize how much it was inspired by the beginning of Escape From LA as well as other films. I've replayed MGS several times, and the intro always gave me the "You're in for a ride" feeling.

MGS2 and MGS3 have iconic intros too. They both have cool music themes (in case of Snake Eater it's a song), and both continue the tradition with cool infiltrations as starting cutscenes (dropping onto a tanker from the bridge in 2 and the HALO jump in 3). Very memorable.

Silent Hill and Silent Hill 2 had great intros thanks to Akira Yamaoka's music. 

One I've shared in a similar thread was the intro from Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne. I didn't even play the game that much, but I remembered the intro because it set the tone well, and I hadn't played anything like that before. My favourite part was how eyes of countless demons glowed in the dark on the title screen after a smooth transition from the video.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 1