Wolfpack Mode Tip: friends play free using the trial version of the game

purlinka

I read multiple articles saying that to use Wolfpack Mode, everyone had to own a copy.

Confirmed this tonight with friends. I own and hosted the game on PS5, and the rest of my friends downloaded the PS5 Free Trial (none of them own a copy). They successfully joined my lobby and so far we've played through to Chapter 3.

I'm not sure when the Free Trial cuts off in the regular modes, so it's possible we haven't hit that point yet and this method will stop working. Not sure if this is a workaround or an intentional feature. So, this might be available for a limited time before it's patched out. We compared file sizes, and the Free Trial version has you download the entire game.

EDIT: Supermassive Games confirmed on Instagram that this is an intentional feature. Only the host needs to own a copy of the game for Wolfpack Mode. Friends play free using the trial version.
Edited by purlinka
new information
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, emailking said:

Do they get the trophies?

No. The game and trophy set show up on their profiles, but no one except the host (me) actually earned trophies.

This tip is mostly for people looking to enjoy the multiplayer without their friends dropping $60-70 per person. My friends were only interesting in playing as a group, so we split the cost of 1 copy and everyone else downloaded the free trial.

Edited by purlinka
  • Like 1